post #46 of 60 Old 12-03-2005, 08:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

stileguy is an unknown
the joys of map sensed engine management
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 60 Old 12-03-2005, 10:10 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by stileguy
the joys of map sensed engine management
True but it has its limitations as well.As long as you have programable engine management 50% of the intakes are a good design and just need slight recalibration of the MAF signal.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #48 of 60 Old 01-11-2006, 03:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

sunchopper is an unknown
Does the CAI have the same problems with the 06 WRX?
post #49 of 60 Old 01-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Just by looking at the engine, it looks like the design of the airbox and location of the MAS is still the same, so I'd say yes, still a big no no for the 06 WRX.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #50 of 60 Old 01-11-2006, 04:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

sunchopper is an unknown
Well I really don't care for a CAI... although I am not sure where to start with modding my car. Seeing as I am a newb I am just gonna read around and learn as much as I can for the time being. I think the reason most people want a CAI is it has an easy install, its not too expensive, and ricers love it. I think every ricer in my school had one... then again, I am a newb and could be wrong. :/
post #51 of 60 Old 01-23-2006, 07:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

balex5884 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum
Just because your car hasn't gotten a CEL yet doesn't mean eveything is just peachy.The best way to tell if the intake is not so hot is to measure the inside diameter with a digital caliper.The magic number is 65mm.If you read back through this post you will see the intake skews the MAF signal.It causes mis readings and lean conditions at w.o.t./full boost.Re-read this thread again.Also checking in some of the other forums FAQ's will maybe help too.Almost evry single WRX forum will have an explanation to this question.

Are any of you familiar with the APS Cold Air intake? They claim that, their intake will work in harmony with the stock engine management, their intake is distinguished with the numerals "65" cast into the inside diameter of the engine hose end. Having that said, do you think i would still be running lean?

Thanks
post #52 of 60 Old 01-23-2006, 07:53 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by balex5884
Are any of you familiar with the APS Cold Air intake? They claim that, their intake will work in harmony with the stock engine management, their intake is distinguished with the numerals "65" cast into the inside diameter of the engine hose end. Having that said, do you think i would still be running lean?

Thanks
Obviously the "65" designates 65mm.If it is made to work in harmony with the stock ECU then obviously as well this translates they understand the issues had with intakes on WRX's.I personally don't like the fact that its cast because you will not always keep tight tolerances with a cast piece.There will always be some variences from casting.The Perrin,Cobb,and Turbo XS seem a better route to go if you actually NEED an intake.
post #53 of 60 Old 01-24-2006, 08:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

balex5884 is an unknown
Thanks, Aps CAI is what i have and in my opinion so far they are the most trusted ones with the most researches.

Check it out http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/us...i/2004_sti.htm
post #54 of 60 Old 01-24-2006, 08:37 PM
WRXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by balex5884
Thanks, Aps CAI is what i have and in my opinion so far they are the most trusted ones with the most researches.

Check it out http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/us...i/2004_sti.htm
I know about them/it.APS is a very good company with quality products.I have their up-pipe and am very pleased with its construction and engineering.But thats not to say other manufactures don't have products of the same quality and engineering.Cobb's intake by far would be my choice for a short ram and APS definatly for a C.A.I.
post #55 of 60 Old 02-03-2006, 06:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

eighth08 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to eighth08
it's funny, people want to change the intake on subarus sooo bad.. even when told no you dont need it, they still wanna argue it just so they feel better about wanting one.. i know this from experience.. haha. i say ignore the idea of an intake besides the filter and silencer removal.. get exhaust and tuning..and handling mods... money better spent.

Gregory-
keep it in the dirt.
post #56 of 60 Old 04-27-2006, 08:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

buckofbox is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to buckofbox
Is there any reason not to remove the silencer in terms of reliability? Also what's the noise level like? Is it uber loud, or a just a pleasant intake noise?
post #57 of 60 Old 04-28-2006, 09:52 AM
WRXpert

Everybody has different opinion about what to do for the intake system on the WRX.Some short ram,some C.A.I.,and some modified/stock oem airbox.I personally use the stock airbox,Green drop-in filter,and a 4" velocity stack in the inlet hole.Reliability is no problem unless you don't have the wheel well/inside fender liner The inlet hole is at the same hieght as the inlet scoop.It is alittle bit louder(especially with a high flow filter and TBE).Summit Racing sells a 3" I.D. velocity stack that fits right in the inlet hole.The stock elbow is about 2 3/4" I.D. Open up the hole alittle bit.
post #58 of 60 Old 06-06-2006, 03:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Final Clutch is an unknown
Anybody know anything about the SPT Short Ram Intake that is in development?
post #59 of 60 Old 06-06-2006, 03:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

bradley03 is an unknown
Look for the thread in the Newbie forum titled "So you want an intake" that I posted about it a few days back.

-Brad
05 wrx sti
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #60 of 60 Old 07-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Founder

Ludachris is known to be trustworthy and helpful Ludachris is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Continue this discussion in the copied thread in the Newbie forum:
The CAI arguement explained... opened for replies

-Chris
WRXtuners.com Founder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement