The CAI arguement explained... - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 01-06-2005, 10:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bullit is an unknown
The only sensor should be the MAF sensor. It's black, about 2 inches by 2 inches, with two screws. Is this the sensor you are talking about. If so you have to have it plugged in. Just unscrew it from the old one, and screw it into the new one. If you don't have the sensor pluged in, your car will not run. Look at the picture at the top of this thread as a reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 01-09-2005, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

brycemb18 is an unknown
I understand what has been said about the turbulence around the MAF but was wondering if anyone has any experience with a Perrin CAI. In looking at the pictures of them, it doesnt look like they have a severe bend just before the MAF and I was wondering if this intake would not show the same problems as other CAIs.
Attached Images

#18 Old 01-12-2005, 09:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

brycemb18 is an unknown
Never mind after looking at that picture and trying to picture it in my wrx, i decided that the picture was only a representation, there is no way that the pictured cai would fit in my car.
#19 Old 01-24-2005, 11:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mark S. is an unknown
Sorry if this was explained in the thread, but I cannot pick it out. If I get an extremely short tube and on the end of it a cone filter for my intake, i will have a better-than-stock high flow intake that will cause no problems?

Mark

Last edited by Mark S.; 01-24-2005 at 11:36 PM.
#20 Old 01-27-2005, 02:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

brycemb18 is an unknown
Yea but If you put on a short ram you will loose half of your gains to heatsoak. And unless you have a new turbo and supporting mods you wont really see any gains, other than a maybe very slightly faster turbo spool. I just took the intake silencer off of my car and was pretty impressed with the gains I got from that. Much better intake sound, and a small increase in horsepower.
#21 Old 03-25-2005, 01:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

flowmaster22 is an unknown
I keep reading about people taking off the intake silencer. Are there any threads or links that show how to do this. Sorry if it is right in front of me but i only looked very quickly.
#22 Old 03-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowmaster22
I keep reading about people taking off the intake silencer. Are there any threads or links that show how to do this. Sorry if it is right in front of me but i only looked very quickly.
It's inside your bumper under the fender, I can't remember if you can take off your tire, pull down your splash gaurd to access it or if you have to remove your bumper, but try removeing your splash gaurd first and if you can't do it that way then you will have to remove the bumper
#23 Old 03-25-2005, 06:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

flowmaster22 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
It's inside your bumper under the fender, I can't remember if you can take off your tire, pull down your splash gaurd to access it or if you have to remove your bumper, but try removeing your splash gaurd first and if you can't do it that way then you will have to remove the bumper

Yeah but what do I look for? I dont want to just start ripping stuff out.
#24 Old 03-26-2005, 09:52 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Take the wheel off and the splash guard by the passanger side front wheel. You can't miss it, it is a big plastic box.
#25 Old 03-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBAUCLAPlaya
Take the wheel off and the splash guard by the passanger side front wheel. You can't miss it, it is a big plastic box.
What he said
#26 Old 03-28-2005, 11:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

DEMON is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to DEMON
sorry if this is already explained. i got my car and with a aem cai on it. it's doesn't show a code. it did but it was for the egt sensor so i put a resistor in there and no more codes. my car does have an odd idle though. if i'm at a stop light or something and am inching forward the idle drops really low and the car seems like it's going to die but then it jumps back up. is that because of the intake, i also have an atmospheric bov?
#27 Old 03-28-2005, 11:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
WRX's have a rough idle anyways. There is no guarantee that a CAI will throw a code, but that is not the concern. A lot of the damage happens without ever triggering a code.
#28 Old 05-12-2005, 03:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

horriblesars is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo

That is also why short rams don't have that problem.
hi, can i ask this for a double confirmation? so there wun be a problem if i change to a short ram air intake and running lean? or isit better to juz use a better aftermarket drop-in filter? pls advise...
#29 Old 06-23-2005, 01:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
well thats a shame. thing like a good CAI. ah well, not the end of the world.

being that this is the case, is there a big advantage to going to a open eliment AI? sounds like most people just get the K&N drop in for the factory air box.

well, thats all good and well i supose.
#30 Old 10-26-2005, 04:29 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Another issue with air intakes is if they do not retain the stock I.D. of the MAF housing the MAF will no longer be calibrated.What happens is usually some of the intakes have a slightly larger I.D. than the stock MAF housing allowing for a lean condition to happen because the MAF is no longer calibrated.Some of the ones that retain the stock MAF I.D.: Perrin,Cobb,TXS and APS(65MM). Some of the ones that don't:AEM,Greddy,GP moto and the worst of all -Injen.Also the stock air flows more than enough to handle up to 325hp.Intakes,once tuned,rarely shown any gain over the stock airbox under said hp.For people that just want the sound or alittle more performance from the stocker,use the "silencer delete" mod or the"velocity stack" mod.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!