Subaru WRX Forum banner

HOW TO: Remove Amber lense from 02' headlights

11K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  metroscub 
#1 ·
This might have been posted before, but if not, then this works easily. It will work on any head lights that have the amber lens on the upper portion of the housing. keep in mind that i am doing this by memory, so if I miss a tool, or neglect to turn off the oven after use, don't give me any lip, it works, and looks great!

Total Cost: $20-40, depending on the bulbs used.

Time:2-3 hours, Dependant upon how savvy you are around the kitchen, and beer consumption, as always.

Tools:

screwdriver( flathead)
sockets(to remove housing)
oven(preheating to 150, this doesn't take long)

supplies:
Amber bulb(check ebay, they have some really great silver bulbs that light up amber!)
Clear epoxy

This is really quite simple:

Remove headlamp housing(it is self explanatory, few screws, twist out bulb, carry on.)

Preheat oven to 150 degrees.

Insert headlamp housing for 10-30 mins, or how ever long it takes to break the seal

once the housing is heated up enough, you will be able to pull the front apart the rear.

remove front lens, then simply pull out the amber lens from the inside.

use clear clear epoxy to reseal headlamp housing. Take great care in not getting it everywhere, it can be messy, but make sure you make a good seal with it, or you stand the risk of having foggy headlamps.

install new bulbs.

put headlamp housing back into its original place

enjoi.

hopefully this will help some of you guys out instead of buying clear head lights, it looks really great. And for an added sheen, try wet sanding the lenses as well. If you are unaware of how to do this, PM me and i will be happy to explain.

matt!Thumbs Up
and good rep helps, I might be a newb, but I don't want to be considered a retard as well.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.