Subaru WRX Forum banner

HOW TO: Disable Daytime Running Lights on '06

51K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Ian 
#1 ·
Sup guys?

I Just Disabled Mine 2 Min Ago. I Have An 06 Wrx, Hooked Up Some Aftermarket Hids And When I Turned The Car On, The Hids Were Flashing Like Strobe Lights BUT WERE FINE ONCE I TURNED THE HEADLIGHTS ON. SO I FOUND THE MODULE ON THE 06 AND UNPLUGGED IT AND NOW EVERYTHING IS MAGNIFICENT. NO MORE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS AND NO MORE STROBES! :rocks:

Now, you DO NOT need to remove the glove box to unplug the DRL Module. Simply tuck under the glove box after with your head and look UP, TO THE RIGHT, and BACKWARD (towards where your passengers knees would be), you will see a 10 pin harness (YELLOW) in color, push the tab on the harness and pull DOWN TOWARD THE FLOOR. KISS THOSE DAMN DRLs GOODBYE!!!!!! :sneaky:

OBSERVE.

See less See more
#2 ·
When you go to turn the parking lights on with the E-brake down do just those turn on? I love those but are mad that the DRLs turn on as soon as I put that brake down. Maybe Ill go take a look outside in my car for that. Well maybe tomorrow at school.

#3 ·
awd>fwd said:
When you go to turn the parking lights on with the E-brake down do just those turn on? I love those but are mad that the DRLs turn on as soon as I put that brake down. Maybe Ill go take a look outside in my car for that. Well maybe tomorrow at school.
Good question, I will check tomorrow. I dont use my parking lights so I didnt get out to look, all I cared about was the DRLs were off when I let the e-brake down.. :D
I'll let ya know tomorrow.

#5 ·
Ill run outside in my slippers in the 30 degree CRAP and check if the parkin lights go on, because now its buggin me and I wanna know.. !Laugh!

BRB...

(2 mins later)

BRRRRRRRRR.......SOFA KING COLD OUT!!!.... Ok.... heres the sco0p....

NO parking lights when the headlight switch is all the way off. When you turn it JUST ONE CLICK, they WILL come on, then one more click and the HIDs fire up with an orgasmic array of purple light. :sneaky:

#7 ·
awd>fwd said:
Parking lights light up with one click up for me when I'm parked. Cool thanks man. So you just put HID bulbs in the projector housing?
No problem :)

Yep, It was a pain finding a spot to mount the ballasts and Im not all that satisfied with their locations but itll do for now until I find out how to get the bumper off. I attempted and gave up. The HID bulbs are a direct replacement of the original halogen bulbs (H7)

Got the kit right here on ebay at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8022233391&category=36476

The color seen in the picture is pretty accurate with what I got :sneaky: :rocks:

ANYONE GOT A HOW TO FOR REMOVING THE 06 FRONT BUMPER? :confused:

#10 ·
Im sitting in my car right now in the garage on my laptop loooking at this and disabling it. Dude you must have really small hands I can only get 1 finger on this thing. It took me me like 5 minutes to find this too.

#11 ·
awd>fwd said:
Im sitting in my car right now in the garage on my laptop loooking at this and disabling it. Dude you must have really small hands I can only get 1 finger on this thing. It took me me like 5 minutes to find this too.
ROFL !Laugh! ROFL !Laugh! ROFL !Laugh!

My hands arent small... theyre thin as you can see but not small... I got it right out in probably 15 seconds of squeezin under there. hahaha Did you end up getting it though? :rocks:

#13 ·
Hi Folks,

I just did this -- remove the connector for the DRL and it works like a charm. However, now I hear a very audible CLICK everytime I turn on the ignition. It comes right from somewhere near the glove box. My car had a distinctive ignition click when I got it and now it seems much worse. I guess somethings still trying to switch through the DRL wires....any ideas?:(

#15 ·
It works on the 2003 as well. It was a pain in the ass and i had to have my girlfriend sqeeze her hand in there to pull out the plug. But non the less DRLs are no more!!

so thanks to DECALFX_com and my girlfriends small hands. i wont have to replace them expensive HID bulbs anytime soon.

Me -----> :beatentod <-------DRLs

#19 ·
hey guys. just wanted to point out, that while you may notice no problems now, there could be underlying problems. the first thing that many installers will tell you (myself included) is to never touch plugs that are yellow in color. on any vehicle. while they may serve auxilary pusposes (ie: dtr lights) they are primarily and usually used for the SRS (airbag) system. Just throwing it out there, not trying to put down your dtr solution or anything. You may want to have a dealer check out your airbag system, but neglect to tell them you unplugged the connector. just to be safe. good job figuring that out though.

#21 ·
WRXinEffects said:
actually i was driving through a tunnel today around noon. and since i unplugged the DRL plug THEY DIDNT GO ON. and i couldnt see shit. needless to say i crashed into a wall and the airbags still went off.

Good comment thoughROFL
... I assume the switch for your lights still work? :confused:

I always turn on my lights in a tunnel. I don't trust other drivers.

#23 ·
okay im so frustrated! i have an 06 wrx and i CAN NOT at all for the life of me find this plug to un-plug the drl! i have my head under the glove box and im looking up at all these connecters but i just dont see the 10 pin? im looking up and to the right twoads the steering wheel and i dont see that connecter thats in the picture and i still dont when i look to the left?????

#24 ·
kh15 said:
okay im so frustrated! i have an 06 wrx and i CAN NOT at all for the life of me find this plug to un-plug the drl! i have my head under the glove box and im looking up at all these connecters but i just dont see the 10 pin? im looking up and to the right twoads the steering wheel and i dont see that connecter thats in the picture and i still dont when i look to the left?????
Just unplug the one inside your engine conpartment. There is a small shiney metal box on your right side shock tower ( near your DP ) that say's dander high voltage or something like that. Just unplug it and your done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.