How to MIL eliminator at ECU... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-03-2004, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GLwagon is an unknown
How to MIL eliminator at ECU...

Warnings: ***DO this at your OWN RISK*** if you mess something up & your Subaru dealer charges you through the but for fixing it, don't call ME. ***For OFF-Road use only?*** I have chosen to solder ALL of my connections... If you decide to use a crimp of some kind, size it properly for the little wires on the ECU they look to be around a 16-18 awg wire.

This was done on a 2002 Impreza WRX.
It is the same for a 2003 & have done it to a 2003...
I have no idea if the wiring & color coding is the same for 2004, There was a change for the MIL eliminator in 2004...

For all of you VIOLATORS who have taken out one or more cat's. & get the P0420(cat inefficiency code) the MIL Eliminator by PonyExpress is a good $20 working option...

I have laid down a piece of cardboard to keep from melting holes in the carpet, I recommend this for any soldering in a car.

Instructions: for a 2002 Impreza

First you have to UNHOOK THE NEGATIVE WIRE OFF THE BATTERY & DRAIN THE SYSTEM (open door & push brakes for a couple seconds).

Next you can find your ECU. Subaru locates it in the passengers foot well under the carpet... It is easy to get to... Once you remove some trim & pull the carpeting back you will find a large steel plate held in place by 3 bolts & one nut (all 10 mm ).Once taken off, there it is... the ECU... It is also held in place by 2 nuts & covered by a piece of plastic...

READ THIS!!! - Subaru uses a blue & white on the rear O2 sensor as the sensing wires ... HOWEVER at the rear O2 connector it changes from blue & white to white & blue !!! If you have a MIL eliminator designed to go on the rear O2 wires the colors ARE NOT exactly the same at the ECU!!! They are opposite & you NEED to UNDERSTAND this.

Also I have chosen to use 2 pair of DEAN'S 4 pin power connectors. These are used for R/C cars, boats & planes & are available at almost any hobby store for under $2 a pair. W.S. Deans 4-Pin Power Plug being gold plated & in dry location, I expect no problems in the future...

Unclip the 1st & 2nd connector from the right (as shown) One of the wires you want is in the 2nd from the right connector.

Now for the fun part... Get your self either an Exact-o knife or razor blade ( the sharper the better). Carefully cut the tape & rubber covering the gob of wires & gently pull back until you can get to the wires you'll need.

Looking at the gob of wires on the back of the connector you need to look in the 2nd row down (middle) & the 3rd from the left side of the connector. This IS a WHITE wire & has NO tracers on it... if you follow it into the loom it actually becomes a "shielded" wire & will have a braided ground wire wrapped around it. Subaru counts the wires at the front of the connector, Clip up, top left across 1-9, middle 10-19, bottom 20-28. you want #17. ( the back of the connector is the side with the wires sticking out).

Cut the wire where you are comfortable working on it (you'll have to hook to both sides of the cut).

The connector side goes to the green wire on the PonyExpress MIL Eliminator (PEME), the car side (O2 side) goes to the black wire on the PEME.

Once together go to the next step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-03-2004, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GLwagon is an unknown
:edit: updated...

Also you don't have to use the fancy connectors, I do recomend atleast soldering it in if you are going to hardwire it in to the system.

If you are not comfortable to do this on your own GET HELP!!!

Last edited by GLwagon; 01-03-2004 at 01:42 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-03-2004, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GLwagon is an unknown
The PEME has 4 wires, by now the green & black should be hooked up to something (the white wire)

Now for the 2 gray wires... While you were taking apart the loom you may have found a bunch of wires plugged into a black clip. This is the "Shield & Sensor Ground Joint Connector" the other wire is located here.

Find the BLUE wire with RED tracer & cut. Add on a length of wire suitable to extend it long enough to reach the PEME.

I don't believe that the gray is polarity sensitive, BUT hook it up like it would be under the car... green side gray to connector side wire, black side gray to loom side wire...

Cover ALL connections so no bare wires are exposed... I recommend shrink wrap &/or 3M brand Super +33 electrical tape ( just over $3 a roll )
Attached Images

post #4 of 5 Old 01-03-2004, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GLwagon is an unknown
Almost done...
Attached Images

post #5 of 5 Old 01-03-2004, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GLwagon is an unknown
Re-wrap the wires & put back for a "factory" look...

Make sure you don't wrap it too tightly & when putting it all back you don't pinch any wires
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement