2009 WRX Headlight - Brighter, higher. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-23-2009, 04:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

HellTriX is an unknown
2009 WRX Headlight - Brighter, higher.

Since it took me a bit to get all the information, I thought I should make a post about my experience upgrading and adjusting my low beam headlights for better/safer night driving.

The car in question, my 2009 WRX Hatchback.

For adjusting my headlights, I do the look test. I find a nice level dark road. Adjust my lights, then walk out in front of the car a good distance, and sort of squat down a bit to simulate the average small car with 5'4" driver. And adjust the lights to a couple inches below getting blinded. This way bumps in the road will let drivers know that I don't have my brights on but still sit low enough so they don't get blinded. Just gotta make sure to check both lanes to make sure your not blinding people your following too. The big bolt on the back of the headlight housing turned counter clockwise raises the beams. See linky for more details if you like: 2008 Subaru WRX STi - HID Headlight Adjustment

Found this to be the best way to get the max height that won't blind people.

I replaced my stock low beams from H11s to H9s. It took a couple of seconds to clip one of the plastic tabs on the new H9 bulbs to fit the H11's wiring plug and they went in just like a replacement bulb but instead of 1350 lumens I am getting 2100. Much brighter.

Now with these being adjusted properly I can say this: These lights are now adequately bright for night time driving. Also, they are now as bright as they should have been from the factory. Best $34 I spent on the car so far.

I am going to order some HIRs now for the high beams. The current high beams are adequate for sub 55mph rural roads. But gonna need some HIRs or something for 70mph night runs for me to feel animal friendlier.

TriX