More Lighting for Less! HID Xenon Kits starting at $34.95 - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
it's the shaping of the mirrors to properly focus the light beam, the HID bulbs will fit into and work in your lamp, but there will just be increased glare and they won't have the proper cutoff

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-10-2010, 09:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXnewB is an unknown
Okay, good to know. I was going to wait until I got some projector headlights anyway.
#18 Old 08-11-2010, 12:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnewB View Post
The headlights I want to get are here.

2004-2005 Subaru Impreza WRX LED Halo Projector Headlights | Turbo Metal Reviews

These would work with the HID conversions though, correct?
No, they won't. Those are still halogen optics. And they are bad ones at that. I've previously dissected them with pictures but at the moment don't feel like looking them up. They use narrow beam optics (bad for low beams), have an extremely awkward cutoff, don't produce even light distribution (hit and cold spots), and produce glare with HIDs. As I previously stated, retrofits and STI headlamps are the only options you have.

And no offense, but those are not the most aesthetically pleasing option you could have selected. The people that tend to buy things like those tend to...well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
Uhh YOUR wrong, in order to use HIDs all one would need is this DDM Slim HID Kits (35w & 55w) but in order for them to function to their full capability you would then need to retrofit proper optics IE 04-05 STi Headlamps
No offense, but you're arguing with someone with a high level of understanding in the lighting department. The fact that they will physically fit has nothing to do with the fact that they cannot and should not be installed without the proper optics. My suggested is to discontinue advising others to use HID kits. You're doing a great disservice.
#19 Old 09-23-2010, 08:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

javedjee77 is an unknown
Air Check Valve

im new here but i have the same problem on my celica gts took it to the mechanic and told me wheel balancing is required could be the same

"
[url=http://www.autopartsexpress.com/parts/Air_Check_Valve.html]Air Check Valve[/url]"
#20 Old 09-30-2010, 11:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Trevvrx is an unknown
I have a bug eye when I bought it it had morrette heads and tails shortly after I tried a few aftermarket set ups but eventually went back to stalk lights then I bought a HID kit, I will admit the stock headlights are not the best for HID's like it was said before they don't focus the light properly and had almost no cut off. I was constantly getting flashed by oncoming traffic. so I went back to the morrette's which are projectors they are amazing. I did get a huge benefit with my stock headlights but at a cost to other drivers and those benefits were realized ten fold once I put in the morrettes. You can buy a cheap set of projectors on ebay that would work fine but if you buy an HID kit and you buy those headlamps you'll need to buy H7 bulbs instead. If your curious as to how I know this I bought them haha.
#21 Old 10-01-2010, 01:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevvrx View Post
I have a bug eye when I bought it it had morrette heads and tails shortly after I tried a few aftermarket set ups but eventually went back to stalk lights then I bought a HID kit, I will admit the stock headlights are not the best for HID's like it was said before they don't focus the light properly and had almost no cut off. I was constantly getting flashed by oncoming traffic. so I went back to the morrette's which are projectors they are amazing. I did get a huge benefit with my stock headlights but at a cost to other drivers and those benefits were realized ten fold once I put in the morrettes. You can buy a cheap set of projectors on ebay that would work fine but if you buy an HID kit and you buy those headlamps you'll need to buy H7 bulbs instead. If your curious as to how I know this I bought them haha.
I used to have HIDs in my old Morettes. The results are absolutely terrible because they bring out their horrid optic designs. You have ECE regulations to thank for that. And you still have issues with the fact that the Valeo optics in those lights still can't focus HIDs correctly because they were not designed for them. In other words, you can't HIDs in Morettes either.
#22 Old 10-01-2010, 09:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Trevvrx is an unknown
huh mine look great they don't blind on coming drivers and there are no hot and cold spots, the cut off is nice. all the problems I had with my stock headlights went away when I put the morrettes on.
#23 Old 11-13-2010, 03:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

herms_blu_beauty is an unknown
so what exactly would i need for a 2002 wrx to convert to hid?
#24 Old 11-14-2010, 02:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by herms_blu_beauty View Post
so what exactly would i need for a 2002 wrx to convert to hid?
A retrofit using true HID optics.
#25 Old 11-14-2010, 10:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

EvansWagon is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
Uhh YOUR wrong, in order to use HIDs all one would need is this DDM Slim HID Kits (35w & 55w) but in order for them to function to their full capability you would then need to retrofit proper optics IE 04-05 STi Headlamps
yes that would work but because his headlights are halogen to proper run hids he would need to install hid projectors i.e such as D2S because they project the light properly and provid the correct cut off.

so you need HID projectors or HID reflective houseing you can check out Lightwerks if you want to learn more about it they are a projector retrofit service
#26 Old 11-15-2010, 04:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

ScoobNJ is an unknown
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone, this thread has to be a joke.
#27 Old 11-15-2010, 05:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jchon3 is an unknown
ermmm i have no idea which kit i need....
i have a 11 WRX and im kinda new to this stuff so. some help please?
#28 Old 11-15-2010, 11:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchon3 View Post
ermmm i have no idea which kit i need....
i have a 11 WRX and im kinda new to this stuff so. some help please?
You need 2011 WRX Premium or STI headlights first.
#29 Old 11-17-2010, 09:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
What exactly do I need to order to convert my 06 WRX to HID's?

Mike
#30 Old 11-18-2010, 06:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
STi or WRX Premium headlamp assemblies

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt