Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Gulf Coast WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f82/)
-   -   E85 tuning, not so fast (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f82/e85-tuning-not-so-fast-29906/)

pzr2874 12-03-2010 09:55 AM

E85 tuning, not so fast

Ok guys, here in SA e85 stations are popping up at new Valero locations.

I have a meth kit but thinking e85 may be easier to tune for. I have done quite a bit of research on the speed forums for my car but nothing is in stone yet as some/most ppl are saying that the fuel pumps on the speed3's would deteriorate over time (short time at that).

Discuss

basco 12-03-2010 10:31 AM

buy a walbro

pzr2874 12-03-2010 10:34 AM

Ooooo, I see you got jokes Matt :( .... I've looked into that but the DI FP's have to be able to run up to 1900psi at WOT.

I'd have to run 2-4 at the same exact pressure to be able to do it (if it's even possible).

RcrsWetDream 12-03-2010 01:12 PM

Buy a subaru (again)

But seriously, it seems different makes have different tolerances for ethanol. My uncle just got done building his mustang and decided against E because it's known to corrode the screws on the supercharger.

And this being a subaru forum you probably know more than all of us combined on the speed3.

pzr2874 12-03-2010 01:21 PM

Yeah... just sucks that for the past several years everyone has been able to run e85 and finally it's around and my scoobs are gone. Oh well, so is life.

Figured someone who have a little insight on the walboros.... maybe the psi capability of each one... so on and so forth...

Maybe Meth IS the way to go on most if not all cars....

RcrsWetDream 12-03-2010 01:26 PM

To me meth is too risky. Yeah you can have all the bells and whistles but you can still have a failure and assplode. E85, as long as you test at fillup, is extremely safe to run.

As for the psi the walbro can push fuel at, I think they can do like 50psi, and then you can maybe tweak it with an aftermarket FPR.

pzr2874 12-03-2010 03:14 PM

^^ This is true with some of the older meth kits out there....

Newer models and kits have failsafes all over the place.

Even at 50psi, I'd need like 40 of em.... hahahahaha... can't see that being efficient... funny. Thanks guys, as usual.

RcrsWetDream 12-03-2010 05:07 PM

[quote=pzr2874;253872]^^ This is true with some of the older meth kits out there....

Newer models and kits have failsafes all over the place.
[/quote]

That's what I meant by bells and whistles.... To me something telling me the nozzle is clogged after it happens, isn't any safer than realizing the nozzle was clogged after you blew up. Low flow/tank is nice, but the nozzle is what scares me the most.

Unless they can make a kit that will instantly cut timing and boost as it detects a clog, I'll stay away from meth... Even if they do that now, that would have to happen extremely quickly (I'm not edumacated on meth very well), and the startup costs of everything needed to run E85 are considerably cheaper than the startup costs for a GOOD meth kit with all the failsafes. A really nice meth kit will cost at least 50% more than a set of injectors and a pump.

You can get into the cost of E85 fuel vs buying a few gallons of meth but I don't.

basco 12-03-2010 06:24 PM

lol I was just playing, but in serious look to see if the VW FSI upgrade pump is compatible with the MS3 DI...if not buy a subaru

newtothegame 12-03-2010 11:03 PM

Deatschwerks now makes a 300 FP. Im not sure how much it flows compared to the walboro. Not sure the difference between the two, but heres there blog about it:[url=http://www.maperformance.com/blog/archives/1330]New Deatschwerks DW300 High Flow In-Tank Fuel Pump Testing & Review By MAPerformance | Modern Automotive Performance[/url]

pzr2874 12-06-2010 06:49 AM

Thanks for the idea but these cars have an external pump.... O well. Next yr I'll be getting back into a subie.

FYI.... As far as the nozzle clogging, the only thing you will be able to tell is if you monitor the knock and/or the intake temps closely.... Most if not all tuners will tune for the meth and get you a standard map to run when you aren't pushing it....