'02 WRX: Crush, rebuild, or part-out? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-19-2010, 01:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

chchatham is an unknown
'02 WRX: Crush, rebuild, or part-out?

Hey everybody - I don't really know what to do with a '02 WRX I have which threw a rod bearing (120K miles). A coolant line broke and like an idiot I drove it after it shut down, I assume warping the engine, leading to a thrown rod bearing about 3-4 months later.

The body is great and everything else works, but I don't know what to do with it. What do you think I could get for it if I sold it as-is on here, vs. put a rebuilt engine in it for 1.5k, vs. just sold the parts off one at a time?

In short, what should I do? Thanks for any advice.

PS - it's the wagon with turbo and upgraded sound system, momo wheels & pedals, turbo gauge. was my baby...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-19-2010, 03:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Sorry dude, I don't really rip on people much here but seriously, what did you think was going to happen? I'm surprised it lasted that long. First of all, don't put in a new engine if you plan on ever doing anything like that again, you're going to want a clunker if you like to procrastinate on your vehicle maintenance. Not trying to say you don't deserve a Subie or anything, just being realistic. Don't pay that much to get it fixed if you have that tendency. And I would put the cost of a new longblock quite a bit higher than 1500 dollars. Closer to 3k.

But if it's as clean as you say, 3 grand for a new engine is the clear choice, since another commuter will get you to that neighborhood fast. Parting it out, meh? The turbo might be good, the block and tranny are both worthless so you're pretty much looking at panels and interior to sell. Not really worth your time imo.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#3 Old 11-19-2010, 07:02 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Rebuild FTW

I spun a bearing in mine at 137K after 3 years of track and towing use. I opted for a rebuilt short-block from Welcome Duners and sent them the heads for valve work. With a gasket set, I spent about $1600 and have a great running engine (35K on it) Doing the rest of the assembly and installation work myself not only saved a ton, but gave me lots of satisfaction. If you're not mechanically inclined PM me. I'm in Denver, and could help you do the build.

A part out or crush make no sense, if the chassis is good shape. The only real dough to make on a part out is on the driveline and the most important part is toast. I believe the most you could hope to sell it for "as is" would be $3-3.5K. If you want to do that, the shop I work for might be interested, but that's a hard hit to take on a car that would be worth $7-8K running.

Rebuild...
#4 Old 11-21-2010, 05:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

chchatham is an unknown
Thanks so much for your advice. Wagonracer - I'm not sure, but if you or your shop would be interested then at 3.5k i'd go for it. I'll PM you.
#5 Old 12-20-2010, 04:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

2002WRXWagon is an unknown
Arrow Similar Situation

I saw this forum after posting my Craigslist ad and have a similar situation. My car engine died after the radiator developed a leak and the engine overheated. My situation is different in that my car is completely stock, never raced, and as far as I (and the mechanic) know the only problem is a cracked cylinder head. I have another car and do not have the time or money to put into fixing this one up. What do you think my best options are?

Here is my Craigslist ad for reference: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX sport wagon
#6 Old 12-20-2010, 06:22 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'll buy it to fix up, but I'm guessing at that price it's already sold. Please let me know if it's still available.
#7 Old 12-20-2010, 07:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
damnit beat me to it

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#8 Old 12-20-2010, 10:09 PM

It looks like I'm starting a collection. My daughter really wants this car because it's silver like my last one. I'm checking it out in the morning, and I think it will follow me home for a resurrection !
#9 Old 12-21-2010, 11:28 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Looks like you got yourself a little side business going on there man. Good luck with it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 12-21-2010, 11:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
JR doesn't watch "Hoarders" apparently... ha... JK

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3