Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Midwest WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f80/)
-   -   Tuner (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f80/tuner-28977/)

Noob 06-18-2010 04:56 PM

Tuner

Hey all, does anyone know of a trustworthy and good tuner near Cleveland, OH. Also near eastern shore of Maryland? I go to school in Cleveland, but live in Maryland, so either would be helpful, thank you.

SpeedWagon 06-21-2010 04:25 PM

Are you tuning with opensource (e-tune) or are you looking for a tuner with a dyno and shop for other than opensource tuning?

I can't help with any shop/dyno tuners local to you but if OpenSource (distnace/e-tuning) tuning is your forte, none are better than Testes1010...if he is accepting clients.

L

Noob 06-21-2010 07:42 PM

I'm going to buy a Cobb Accessport, so would he be able to do a custom tune with that? Like over an email or something?

SpeedWagon 06-21-2010 11:44 PM

I don't know that you can do e-tuning (distance tuning) with Cobb. I think you could probably get generic maps via e-mail but a car specific tune for your car/setup, I think you have to go to a shop tuner with a dyno who will tune Cobb.

If you use any name brand engine management you will have to use their generic maps and for specific tuning to your car, you have to find a shop that tunes that brand which isn't necessarily that hard to find but you may have to drive a bit and the dyno time can pretty expensive.

I have only done OpenSource tuning so I know it best.
For OpenSource tuning you need:

-Laptop
-Free software (RomRaider.com)
-ECU to PC interface cable and ECU flash adapter (Tactrix.com) cost ~$180??
(if you search the forums you MAY be able to catch a used interface cable for anywhere from $100 to $170...if you do, though, grab it because they go fast!)
- E-tuner
- Flat 1/4 to 1/2 mile stretch of roadway away from watchful eye of law enforcement and scant traffic to run logs (3rd gear @ WOT ~2000rpm to redline)

Your best bet, if you want to e-tune (run your own logs and e-mail them to a tuner who will make adjustments to the map and e-mail it back for you to re-flash onto your oem ECU) is to contact Jeremy Estes directly and have him fill you in on what he can do and what the cost would be for his services.

I don't know if he is on this forum or not but I do know he is a paid vendor and can be PM'd on [B]WRXFanatics.com[/B] -- his username is: [B]Testes1010[/B] and he is in the Ky/Indiana area. He also can do onsite OpenSource tuning under some circumstances.

There are others out there but I have used him from the start with initial stage 2 setup thu my current stage 3+ setup and have been very happy with the results. With his tuning I made 250whp on stage 2 w/ a 93 octane map and so far ~330 whp on the 91 octane map (20G, 830cc injectors, tbe, Lg TMIC, APS dual-vent BOV, Hallman MBC, Walbro pump, K&N Typhoon short ram intake, Perrin inlet tube, OBX EL headers, NGK plugs).

Just research it...you may decide OpenSource and/or Jeremy's tuning are not what you are looking for in which case you can go with Cobb or another brand of engine management.

Hope that offers a little help.

Noob 06-22-2010 04:31 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll look more into it and see what's best for me.

SpeedWagon 06-22-2010 05:48 PM

That would be exactly your best bet.

Research and weigh your options and make the decision based on what suits you and your wants/needs.

I have to admit, though, I'm surprised you did not get more members chiming in with advice...

God's speed with your tuning!

Les

newtothegame 06-23-2010 10:54 PM

You can e-tune or intetrnet tune with the AP. Tim Bailey of Surgeline use to do it, and have heard of several other places. Some principle to tuning with AS with tuning with the AP over the internet.