Subaru WRX Forum banner

looking to boost HP...

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Jakes02 
#1 ·
I just bought a new 2007 WRX TR (couldn't afford the STI) and would like to boost the HP of the car. I was looking to get input from others (no dealer or salesmans bull#%*@) on what to do (what really works) and the expected cost. I am mechanically inclined but have never modified a car before. I was looking to do anywhere between $500 to $1000 worth of mods.

any suggestions? air intake? heat shield? exhaust? etc.

thanks

#2 ·
rugb_wngr said:
I just bought a new 2007 WRX TR (couldn't afford the STI) and would like to boost the HP of the car. I was looking to get input from others (no dealer or salesmans bull#%*@) on what to do (what really works) and the expected cost. I am mechanically inclined but have never modified a car before. I was looking to do anywhere between $500 to $1000 worth of mods.

any suggestions? air intake? heat shield? exhaust? etc.

thanks
First buy engine management. That will gain you a bit of performance. ($650)

Second get a downpipe and catback. Gives you a great gain. ($600)

After that get a Protune. This maximizes all the modifications.

You don't need an intake or a blow off valve the stock components will hold up just fine until you get into the bigger mods.

#6 ·
wrxman420 said:
If your on a budget your best bet would be to get a Cobb Access Port (you can find a used version 1 for around $400) and a helix downpipe ( around $200)

You may also need an uppipe, im not sure if the 07's are catless or not. Uppipe are cheap around $150-200
They stopped putting a cat in the uppipe of the WRX in 06. Definitely check out the Cobb AccessPORT. It is very easy to use and is pretty much plug and play but gives you the ability to get more advanced with the StreetTUNER software and Protuned. Other options are the UTEC, Hydra, Links system and more. You should be able to pick up a used turbo back exhaust set-up for around $600. Look for a bellmouth or divorced wastegate design on the downpipe. Helix works well and is what I am currently running. Other options are Perrin, Turbo-XS, Invidia, Cobb, Titek. Do a little bit of research before you go and buy anything. Make sure what you are buying isn't going to be too loud for your tastes. Some people love loud exhausts and some just want the performance without a huge increase in noise.

#7 ·
I suggest that you also look into open source tuning. All you need is an $85 cable, a laptop, and some free software and you can reflash your own ecu. That way you'll have enough money leftover to buy a nice turboback. Since you're tight on budget I also suggest that you look for a used turboback on nasioc.com. A lot of people on there aren't very friendly, but there are great deals waiting to be found.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.