Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX with rev issues.

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  pzr2874 
#1 ·
I have a 04 WRX with a EJ257 swap. I think it is just the block. Here is a list of mods that I know about.
GReddy FMIC
AEM intake
HKS turbo back exhaust
Apexi bost controoler
piggy back ECU with some kind of tune
Stage 1 clutch
As far s I know it is the stock WRX turbo with the stock fuel pump and injectors.
The issue that I am having is that when I take off it seems like when you hit around 4000 to 4500 RPM the car kind of stops producing power. I plan on doing some upgrades and doing a tune but there is no one around close to me that I know of that tunes Subarus. Anyway if anyone has any idea of what I can do that would be great.

#4 ·
I just looked and it is a Turbo-XS ECU
I do not have any log data to show. Also I am not sure who put all this stuff in the car. (As far as a shop goes)
I was told to get rid of the Apexi boost controller. Cause it will cause issues. I have it going in for a service at the Subaru dealership in town here Should I ask them if they can tell me what injectors and turbo it has or should I just look myself? I do plan on getting a new fuel pump and bigger injectors anyway.

#6 ·
I went out and looked at the turbo to see what I can find. Sorry I am not familiar with the subaru turbos to just look at them , but here is what I could find on the turbo itself. It has the cast # of 77-14020. Everything else looks stock. The fuel rails look like they are factory. They have no markings that I can see on them. I have ordered a new fuel pump and injectors for it, they should be here on friday or monday.

#7 ·
Update: I went out today and had my old man over who is a retired diesel Mech and he was looking at one of the FMIC coupler and told me to take it off. When I did he grabbed it and said thought so and showed me the big cut in it from where the hose clamp was tightened to tight. I went down and bought a new one and replaced it and now the car revs great and I took it for a spin and WOW what a difference. I Have the new turbo and the injectors and the fuel pump should be here tomorrow according to UPS. Thanks for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.