Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX Limitations

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  exmotoman 
#1 ·
I am new to Subaru's and purchased an 06 WRX wagon for a commuter vehicle. I would like to add a little more fun to the commute and clean up an annoying flat spot from 3K to 3600. Thing feels like it pulls timing out like crazy in this RPM range. I have looked into TBE, up-pipe and a good tune. I have read lots on Cobb AP versus ECU tek, Vishnu looks interesting. Any advice based on what you have done to your cars? I prefer to keep the exhaust on the softer side for sound. Anything more than these mods and it seems like you hit several limitations quickly. Upgrading the turbo and the pistons, TMIC & connecting rods become the weak link. Too much boost on the stock TD04 and you start super heating the air and losing power with boost levels past 15psi. I would like to get the car to run a low 13 which would be decent. I live in Idaho and about 3500 above sea level which makes things a little tougher. I have removed the resonator in the fender well and put a K&N filter, about 10 min after the first drive in the car. Looking for a nice balacne...

#2 ·
Well if you look around at the other 06-07s here, they have gone with EM first. That will fix your little spot you have in the RPM range. I use a Cobb AP and love it, just stage one right now. If you want to keep the car quiet you can get just a DP (down pipe) and flash stage 2. Also for better handling get rid of the stock tires at the least, maybe pick up a little bit wider rim also.

#3 ·
My personal opinion:
- Cobb AccessPORT V2
- Cobb Catted Downpipe
- Stock Cat Back

The engine management and bellmouth downpipe will give you plenty of power that you're looking for and the stock cat back will be nice and quiet and it won't restrict your exhaust gas flow as severely as you might think. The stock cat back piping is around 2.5" so upgrading that is mainly just for looks and sound. Also, the Cobb dp is designed to mate up to the stock cat back (or any aftermarket cat back) perfectly. Just purchase a new factory style donut gasket if yours crumbles when you remove it or if you just want to be sure you won't get any exhaust leaks (if you want to reuse the stock cat back) and you'll be good to go. There are, of course, many other options, but I would recommend this set up given your desires.

#4 ·
thank you gentleman for the advice! I like the car and looking forward to a little more thrust. My other cars have me spoiled so trying to get the everyday commuter more in the ball park or at least the parking lot of the ball field. I have seen some quick WRX's at the track, however these were highly modified and not very driveable.

#6 ·
OK, just ordered wider tires 225/45 17 and will be picking up the Cobb DP and Cobb AP V2. Tempted to switch to VF39 turbo and run at lower boost. It looks like the uppipe is non-catted which is good news. Trying to get the car a little more fun to drive, see how this does first. Does not help my other toys are 600+ to the rear wheels so this thing feels like a slug in comparison.

#8 ·
Finally got the parts in and flashed the car to stage 1 to drive around a few days. Definitely a difference in smoothing out the powerband, annoying spot from 3K to 3600 went away. Car pulls much cleaner so for those wondering about stage 1 it's worth the money. I purchased a TurbXS Stealth Back with high flow cat instead of the Cobb, on sale! Installed yesterday and flased to stage 2, very smooth powerband with more pull. Beginning to think that TurboXS downpipe is too big for the stock turbo though. Smoothness almost feels a little laggy compared to stage 1. Noticeably faster through the gears though. I have a VF34 waiting at the shop though, debating on putting that on....

#14 ·
I quit racing motorcycles offroad and got back into my passion for fast cars. Told my wife I would need something else to set my hair on fire with. Always had a love for fast cars, she purchased a Subaru a while back and loved it. We moved to Idaho and needed something that was practical in the snow and ice up here. Always liked the WRX Sti and thought I would try a WRX. Needed room to carry my golf clubs which I can not do in the others except the GTO which is kinda funny.

#18 ·
you can use eighter 34 or 39, just make sure you chose a turbo that cobb has a map for. cobb has not been greatly usefull to me when not using their maps. truth is my AP is a paper weight because I have a VF-23 and at tuning time cobb didn't have street tuner or pro-tuner software out yet, so I said @#$% IT! and learned how to use enginuity. it has served me well since then.
I haven't heard any thing on the software but I haven't been listening for it eighter. but you sound like you know where your going so just check on it before you open the custom tune Box Unawares!
cobb's map page. have a lookWTF!Thumbs Up
CobbTuning.com - Subaru AccessPORT

fuel pump is a must at this point, if its not done do it. but then say hello to 300AWHP with a VF-39 if thats the way your leaning.!Thumbs Up

do you find yourself wishing for a bit more rear wheel bias when acel. through the corner? just wondering because it kinda gets to me, and i'm used to rear wheel to.

#19 ·
Exmo, sounds like your not a kid but still like a practical fun car to drive. I'm also in that boat and enjoy my wagon with stage 2. Its great as a wagon for golf clubs and other stuff and beats driving a sport ute anyday! Reliability is keeping me from addional mods. I need a car thats good in stop n go traffic as well as in the snow. Alot of the posts here are from guys who drive their cars like you drive your 600hp vette (fast!!). Being able to drive 200 miles to the moutains for a week once a month is what I enjoy. Let us know how your mods go! Golf is great!

#20 ·
kmjd, still a kid at heart however long from there. This is my daily driver that actually gets decent mileage and handles great in snow in the mountains. I have my other toys which satisfy the need for velocity. Looking at either a VF34 or FP 18G and call it a day, which should be enough and not kill the tranny or clutch. I have seen some quick, heavily modified EVO's and STi's at the track however not good daily drivers. No replacement for displacement though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.