What is your 06-07 WRX Stage 2 Setup? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 12-30-2007, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
What is your 06-07 WRX Stage 2 Setup?

Right now, I think I have most of the Stage 1 mods done to my 07 WRX:
1. K&N panel filter
2. Intake silencer delete
3. Perrin lightened crank pulley
4. Cobb AP Stage 1 flash

This coming spring or summer, I hope to make the jump to Stage 2. I already have the Cobb AP, so I think EM is basically set. After doing a little research on turboback exhausts (reading about the different designs and watching the video clips on YouTube), I liked the Turbo XS RFL-Ti turboback system the best. One of my concerns is that the Turbo XS downpipe is catless and I read that the 2.5L engine in the 06-07 WRX needs a catted downpipe to help prevent boost spiking. If I get the high flow cat in the pipe immediately after the downpipe, will that solve the boost spiking issue along with a Cobb Stage 2 map or should I get a completely different downpipe with a cat already built in to it? Also, it was hard to tell from the videos because it sounded different on every car, but is the Turbo XS turboback exhaust one of the loudest on the market (I don't want to piss off the neighbors too much)? I'm not completely sold on Turbo XS yet, but if I go this route, I think I'll need to buy:
1. Turbo XS 4" bellmouth downpipe
2. Turbo XS 3" cat pipe with high flow cat
3. Turbo XS 3" midpipe
4. Turbo XS 3" Ti tip
5. a turbo heat shield (Cobb, Cusco, or SPT - I haven't decided which one yet)

Am I missing anything?

Is anybody else running this same (or a similar) setup on their 06-07 WRX?

If not, what Stage 2 setup does everybody else have on their 06-07 WRX?

Thanks for any info!

John
07 WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 12-31-2007, 01:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRX06TR is an unknown
Boost Creep depends on your car and where you live. Up here at the higher elevations usually its not something that most of the 06/07 guys have to worry about. However, I am hoping to run the catted dp just to avoid it.

BTW you can mix and match dps and your caback exhaust. You don't have to get the Turbo XS one just because you have the rest of the exhaust.

Also keep in mind that the 06/07 WRX has a "long" dp which means you dont have to get the midpipe. My suggestion and personal preference would be the Invidia Catted DP or the Cobb Catted DP. Cobb is expensive but has stellar reviews. I like Invidia because it is a little cheaper and has incredible reviews as well.

Good luck, invest in some suspension and tires, then tear up your local AutoX!
post #3 of 51 Old 12-31-2007, 06:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I would use the COBB catted DP. I have had no problems whatsoever. Remember, you get what you pay for. I also got rid of the resonator underneath w/a stock catback. Works well for now.

BTW the COBB catted DP is a high flow and connected.

Last edited by pzr2874; 12-31-2007 at 07:01 AM. Reason: adding
post #4 of 51 Old 12-31-2007, 04:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

achavez is an unknown
im running an invidia divorced wastegate dp (catless ) connected to an apexi gt spec exhaust. i also have the k&n typhoon short ram. im using the xpt stage 2 and i have never experienced boost creep.
post #5 of 51 Old 12-31-2007, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
hmm... 2 votes for the Cobb catted dp already. That one does look really good, but the thing that drives me crazy about it is the taper to 2.75" or 2.5" (or whatever size it is) at the very end of it. I'm certainly no expert when it comes to this stuff, but I don't imagine the taper can be good for the exhaust flow.

John
07 WRX
post #6 of 51 Old 12-31-2007, 06:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

SWFL Scooby is an unknown
Invidia catless turbo back exhaust sounds good, and is more economical. Any turbo back exhaust set up will piss off your neighbors.

Boost spike/creep will not happen with EM unless temperatures are VERY cold.

D-Rock
Under constant pressure
post #7 of 51 Old 12-31-2007, 10:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX06TR is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
hmm... 2 votes for the Cobb catted dp already. That one does look really good, but the thing that drives me crazy about it is the taper to 2.75" or 2.5" (or whatever size it is) at the very end of it. I'm certainly no expert when it comes to this stuff, but I don't imagine the taper can be good for the exhaust flow.
I have said it before and I will say it again...that taper means nothing. Unless you are running a rotated set up with a gigantic turbo and trying to squeeze every last little pony out, its not going to affect you. So you really shouldn't be worried about it at Stage 2.
post #8 of 51 Old 01-01-2008, 03:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

SubieZen07 is an unknown
Running Injen SES TBE, Perrin FMIC, Turbo Inlet, Short Ram Intake, Walbro Fuel pump and running a opensource stage II map....really great too!
post #9 of 51 Old 01-01-2008, 11:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

robert.lshoc is an unknown
rnning catless tbe with opensource tuning and get no creep
post #10 of 51 Old 01-01-2008, 06:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

07subie is an unknown
Invidia V4 Catted Dp With Hks Cb. Sound Mean And No Boost Creep!
post #11 of 51 Old 01-02-2008, 07:10 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I have seen the TurboXS dp with a cat in it before. Cant remember off the top of my head, but you can cause that is the one that I am set on. Give me a few days when Im back at my camp and can look through my notes and I can probably let you know. As for most of the exhausts I have heard in person, the RFL-Ti is VERY loud, probably one of the loudest out there.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #12 of 51 Old 01-02-2008, 07:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxroberts is an unknown
im running invidia catless tbe with a protune on stock ecu and have no problems. though before the tune i was spiking like a sob
post #13 of 51 Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

96accord is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 96accord Send a message via Yahoo to 96accord
Stage 2 = Engine Management + DP

I have Cobb AP (Stage 2) + ERZ DP (Free) + SPT Cat-back ($200)
post #14 of 51 Old 01-02-2008, 01:34 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post

2.5L Boxer-4 people! 2.5 FRIGGIN liters. No offense but it's already been shown that with the stock turbo, the 2.25" Stock piping is not a significant restriction. Why are you complaining about a 2.75" taper? The reason downpipes make power is due to the crappy stock design and it's flat and disruptive wastegate merge. Replacing it with a bellmouth of any size is going to net you the same amount of power.

When you're running a stroked supra V6 with some turbo twice the size of my head, you might want to consider 3.5" piping. When it starts flirting with 1000whp you can start complaining about the cost of 4.0" piping but for god's sake. On your 4-cylander subaru, be happy with 2.5"!

People test this by running NO cat back compared to STOCK cat back and dynoing the car. When it comes out the same, you know that ANY cat back bigger than stock is already overkill. More flow is always better, but so is more $$$ in your pocketbook. Huge pipes are a huge waste of money.

I think this is mostly a carry over of the "tuner" culture which is mostly assembled wisdom from the honda side of the fence where stock intakes are garbage, headers are going to see more gains than boostin the thing on stock internals, and the stock exhaust is tighter than a ... yeah, not going to finish that sentence on a web forum. You get the point. The WRX's intake is good for way more power than it makes, the headers are actually a pretty good design and the cat-back is, well, loose like... yeah.

Stage 2 = Downpipe + EM... Everything else is for show/sound.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #15 of 51 Old 01-02-2008, 04:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

zacwrx07 is an unknown
Stage 2 = Downpipe + EM... Everything else is for show/sound.
???

I'm thinking of getting a DP soon. I already have EM. I can just get a good DP and nothing from that back and I will be fine? I don't really care too much for a loud car. At these Hp levels I will be fine with just a DP?