What is your 06-07 WRX Stage 2 Setup?

13K views 50 replies 19 participants last post by  06wrx06 
#1 ·
Right now, I think I have most of the Stage 1 mods done to my 07 WRX:
1. K&N panel filter
2. Intake silencer delete
3. Perrin lightened crank pulley
4. Cobb AP Stage 1 flash

This coming spring or summer, I hope to make the jump to Stage 2. I already have the Cobb AP, so I think EM is basically set. After doing a little research on turboback exhausts (reading about the different designs and watching the video clips on YouTube), I liked the Turbo XS RFL-Ti turboback system the best. One of my concerns is that the Turbo XS downpipe is catless and I read that the 2.5L engine in the 06-07 WRX needs a catted downpipe to help prevent boost spiking. If I get the high flow cat in the pipe immediately after the downpipe, will that solve the boost spiking issue along with a Cobb Stage 2 map or should I get a completely different downpipe with a cat already built in to it? Also, it was hard to tell from the videos because it sounded different on every car, but is the Turbo XS turboback exhaust one of the loudest on the market (I don't want to piss off the neighbors too much)? I'm not completely sold on Turbo XS yet, but if I go this route, I think I'll need to buy:
1. Turbo XS 4" bellmouth downpipe
2. Turbo XS 3" cat pipe with high flow cat
3. Turbo XS 3" midpipe
4. Turbo XS 3" Ti tip
5. a turbo heat shield (Cobb, Cusco, or SPT - I haven't decided which one yet)

Am I missing anything?

Is anybody else running this same (or a similar) setup on their 06-07 WRX?

If not, what Stage 2 setup does everybody else have on their 06-07 WRX?

Thanks for any info!

See less See more
#2 ·
Boost Creep depends on your car and where you live. Up here at the higher elevations usually its not something that most of the 06/07 guys have to worry about. However, I am hoping to run the catted dp just to avoid it.

BTW you can mix and match dps and your caback exhaust. You don't have to get the Turbo XS one just because you have the rest of the exhaust.

Also keep in mind that the 06/07 WRX has a "long" dp which means you dont have to get the midpipe. My suggestion and personal preference would be the Invidia Catted DP or the Cobb Catted DP. Cobb is expensive but has stellar reviews. I like Invidia because it is a little cheaper and has incredible reviews as well.

Good luck, invest in some suspension and tires, then tear up your local AutoX!

#3 · (Edited)
I would use the COBB catted DP. I have had no problems whatsoever. Remember, you get what you pay for. I also got rid of the resonator underneath w/a stock catback. Works well for now.!Thumbs Up

BTW the COBB catted DP is a high flow and connected.

#5 ·
hmm... 2 votes for the Cobb catted dp already. That one does look really good, but the thing that drives me crazy about it is the taper to 2.75" or 2.5" (or whatever size it is) at the very end of it. I'm certainly no expert when it comes to this stuff, but I don't imagine the taper can be good for the exhaust flow.

#7 ·
I have said it before and I will say it again...that taper means nothing. Unless you are running a rotated set up with a gigantic turbo and trying to squeeze every last little pony out, its not going to affect you. So you really shouldn't be worried about it at Stage 2.

#11 ·
I have seen the TurboXS dp with a cat in it before. Cant remember off the top of my head, but you can cause that is the one that I am set on. Give me a few days when Im back at my camp and can look through my notes and I can probably let you know. As for most of the exhausts I have heard in person, the RFL-Ti is VERY loud, probably one of the loudest out there.

#15 ·
Stage 2 = Downpipe + EM... Everything else is for show/sound.
???

I'm thinking of getting a DP soon. I already have EM. I can just get a good DP and nothing from that back and I will be fine? I don't really care too much for a loud car. At these Hp levels I will be fine with just a DP?

#17 ·
Now the question is what to get. I saw cobb and Invidia. Both high priced but I know they are good. Do I need a catted DP? I live in TN and it doesn't get that cold here if thats the only reason for boost creep as mentioned above. I don't want to put anything cheap on my car but when I get the money for the DP I will also be buying a new front windshield (thanks to rocks), so I don't know if I can afford the Cobb or catted invidia. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#21 ·
If the invidia DP you were looking at costs the same as the Cobb, that's a very weird site. Usually Invida is around $300 and cobb is around $500 (both non-catted. Add $100 for a cat).

THe reason to get a cat (at the cost of $100) is to keep things closer to legal, reduce noise, and remove that stink (literally and figuratively) called smog that comes out of your tailpipe otherwise. It doesn't effect back pressure or help with boost creep (why you say that?) or take away precious ponies. It's not a performance difference either way.

I run a catted helix downpipe FYI

#22 ·
Yeah this is I guess going to be an easy question for some. I see that some say you get what you pay for with the exhaust. I really dont see it that way, just me but I dont. If the exhaust is made out of the same material and is the same lenght and has all the same bends, everything is the same except the name; what might be the difference except the sound which is done by the cannon. I just want to know if everthing is the same on about 95 percent of the exhaust systems, really what difference would it make...??

#23 ·
I have SPT Cat-back matted to the ERZ Downpipe and fitment is perfectly fine. I have checked out the ERZ cat-back and the weld quality is not as good as the SPT. That is the part they said "you pay for what you get". HKS/Greddy/Invidia/TurboXS/and those type of brands will probably be the same quality but the loudness would be difference.

My SPT cat-back with the ERZ DP is very quiet but louder than stock.

#24 ·
Yeah thats what I was thinking. I have the TSUDO Cat-Back and just ordered the DP for it to go to stage 2. I was very impressed with the sound and look of the pipe.3 Inch system all the way. I looked at the others and they are 700-1200, I found mine for 250 for the CB and the DP was 169. I am pleased...L8R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.