Subaru WRX Forum banner

What To Upgrade Next?

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Hondafan 
#1 ·
Hello there. I have a 07 WRX TR that is completely stock apart from CAI and Catback Exhaust. What would my next step be in upgrading performance? I'm a newbie so I need opinions.

#3 ·
Pull the elbow off that CAI going into your fender and shove the filter onto the pipe instead. ;)

But seriously, get a ram air intake. It's not your intake's job to cool your air, it's your intercooler's. Make your intake unrestrictive to the turbo, and let your intercooler cool the hot air from your turbo.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice. After all of those things are taken care of, some people tell me to upgrade to a bigger turbo. Is this the way to go? And if it is, what turbo would be best? I want to make around 350 BHP. Nothing to ridiculous but I would like to be faster than a stock STI

#7 ·
Paul is very right in plainly stating you cant just put parts on the car and expect it to go. You need to research the parts, what works together and what doesnt, also understanding how it works helps alot also. If you have questions about it, read and search, and then come asking about clarifications or for other members personal experience(s). Many on here are very knowledgeable and have nicely modified cars.

#9 ·
350bhp you can do with used STi parts. You'll need the intercooler and the turbo (vf39 or vf43). You'll probably want to purchase a fuel pump new, no point in getting a used one. You'll also need injectors, easiest way is to trade yours for some modded stockers. Add to that all the exhaust stuff (downpipe, cat-back) and a tune. You can even use the cobb AP as a tune for that setup if you buy the EXACT right injectors and ditch your intake.

#10 ·
Mosc is right about being able to use most the STI parts. Only suggestion I make is about the injectors. If you do happen to buy used ones, be it modded stock ones (I dont recommend) or actual aftermarket set, be sure to have them cleaned, inspected and flow tested. Wouldnt do you much good to buy some used injectors, install them, and them be faulty/junk.

#11 ·
i didnt see this added so ill do it.

i know you said you wanted about 350HP. my VF-52 has the same flow rate as an 08+ sti turbo. that being said right now im at 330HP and 360TQ with the following...

Pro tune
TurboXS CBE
Perrin light weight pulley
Invidia catless DP
TurboXS CAI
Gimmspeed 3-port EBCS
Walbro 255lph pump
NGK 1 step colder plugs
TurboXS FMIC
TurboXS RFL BOV
custom blow through
custom oil catch can venting both crank and valves to atmos
Grimmspeed EWG/Tial 38mm

im also still on stock injectors which are 565cc at 94% duty cycle. im saying all this because only being at 330HP my torque is 360, to me thats to much for your tranny. if you tried to go to 350HP your torque could be over 400TQ. 350TQ is a good max for your tranny with shifting very gingerly. your tuner can back down the torque low end and give you more top end HP but just keep all this in mind.

#19 ·
Why would the dyno matter? I mean clearly one could read 200hp while another would read 230hp, but as power increases you'll still have the % or 30hp difference between. Do dynos have a function on them to show BPH or do you need an actual BPH rolling road dyno?

#20 ·
synolimit:

I am curious. I have the same car as yours ('10) based on your picture. I am Cobb Stage 2, Cobb cat dp and SPT cat back. Don't think I am anywhere near your numbers (330HP/360TQ) especialy if those are at the wheels? I plan on an AEM intake, BCS and refined tune next. I would like 300HP to the wheels and I'd be happy. Just curious, thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.