what turbo should i get - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-07-2007, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrx lover is an unknown
Question what turbo should i get

first i want to ask if any one has upgraded there turbo from strock , and if it is worth it. second , what are some good brands that are out there iam fairly new. also is it a big risk to the engin is it going to hurt it or shorten the life span
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-08-2007, 01:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
i think first u should ask yourself what's your goal with the car. but if i recall an fp18g turbo will get you around 280 whp and tq roughly, along with supporting mods that is.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #3 of 7 Old 06-08-2007, 03:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
an 18g will put down like 330 whp man.

with that said custom fabbed 42r kit ftw!

i rarely say this but search around a lot this topic is beaten to death. theres a ot more that goes into a turboswap besides just the turbo.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-08-2007, 04:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

ilovecake is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to ilovecake Send a message via MSN to ilovecake Send a message via Yahoo to ilovecake
Anytime you add some go faster toys, its going to decrease the life span of your engine, that being said most turbo swaps out there if done correctly/tuned properly, will make some good/better power and your engine life wont decrease drastically. What WILL suffer is your tranny. If you can, when you decide what kind of turbo you want to do start putting money aside for your tranny. Also since you have an 06 anything less than an 18g is going to be a waste of your money/time/effort.

Save the environment or ill f***ing kill you!
post #5 of 7 Old 06-08-2007, 06:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXKidid775 View Post
an 18g will put down like 330 whp man.
i just haven't seen anybody with 2.0 wrx's with more than 300whp with that turbo, i guess of course most people use their cars as daily drivers, so that's why most get conservative tune i guess. just curious what's the most hp anybody has with the 18g on their 2.0 wrx

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #6 of 7 Old 06-08-2007, 12:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
ive seen 330 on the 18g on the 2.0l but they were tuned pretty agressively your right. daily driver 300 would be a good target but he has the 2.5l that extra .5 adds a lot of capability.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-08-2007, 05:17 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecake View Post
Anytime you add some go faster toys, its going to decrease the life span of your engine, that being said most turbo swaps out there if done correctly/tuned properly, will make some good/better power and your engine life wont decrease drastically. What WILL suffer is your tranny. If you can, when you decide what kind of turbo you want to do start putting money aside for your tranny. Also since you have an 06 anything less than an 18g is going to be a waste of your money/time/effort.
+1 to all that. Get an 18G and get the supporting mods for it (i.e IC, DP, EM, injectors, and fuel pump) and then start saving for the tranny so you can drive it like it was meant to. There is a guy with an 06 making 331WHP with his 18G, but I think he ended up replacing his tranny a few days after getting the car out of the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement