What's next? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

slipknot9mt is an unknown
What's next?

Okay so most of the "newbie" talk on here is mainly dp, tbe, and cobb stage 2. So what's next? I just ordered a dp, cat-back, and should be getting cobb in the next few weeks. What can be done after this to keep gaining power without swapping out the turbo? Should I get headers, spt-intake...? Not sure where to go after this... any suggestions? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 07:40 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
To get more power yet with the same mods simply get ProTuned.. I would not do a header, get the stocker Ported and Polished (caoted) and a High flow cross over pipe. Upgrade to a GM boost ssolenoid (or equal). Silicone Turbo inlet wouldn't hurt.. Upgraded TMIC or upgraded "Y" Pipe, I would lean towards new TMIC.. One can always Porting and Polishing stock turbo with upgraded 19T compressor wheel (Blouch Turbo)... Not to mention Porting and Polishing Throttle Bodie, Intercooler elbows, Up-Pipe... TGV deletes (ported and Polished).. UPgrabded Fuel pump wouldn't hurt either.. Pinks for growth, don't wanna max them out.. There are so many little things that can add up to power..

Edit: METH

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #3 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Okay well I don't even know what half that stuff is that you said. Thanks anyway I guess.
post #4 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 08:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

xmoniewrx is an unknown
he gave you the parts now you go research so you can understand why that is what you do.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 08:04 PM
WRXpert

LOL, it's cool, you have to start some where.. how much are you looking to spend?

post #6 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Not really concerned about the money as of right now because I'm just spreading out the purchases so I can afford everything. For me, purchasing is a slow process, I usually end up ordering at least one or 2 new parts every paycheck so it's just a work in progress. I'm looking at intercoolers and Y-pipes now.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 PM
WRXpert

You biggest bang for your buck is the ProTune.. However each part you swap out on the way after that can change the dynamics of the engine and mess with your tune.. Most shops will offer a "retune" for a fraction of the origional price..

post #8 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

and I can get a protune done with Cobb ap2 right?
post #9 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 08:13 PM
WRXpert

Yes.. You simply need to find a local tuner that can tune the AP.. If your close to Agile I have expierience with them and it was all +

http://www.agileauto.com/

post #10 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Awesome. I live less than 10 minutes from them and have heard nothing but good things, are you in the area?
post #11 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 08:17 PM
WRXpert

Negative, I'm about 6 hours away and drove there to get my buddies car tuned.. (Kjott21). PM him if you want to ask him anything about them, he is a knowledgeable guy..

post #12 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 08:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot9mt View Post
Okay well I don't even know what half that stuff is that you said. Thanks anyway I guess.
The next step is a Protune for your car. The off the self maps are ok but you will yield even bigger power gains from a tune made for you specific mods on your specific car.

What he is saying is that you shouldn't get headers. You can get the stock exhaust manifolds and uppipe ported, polished and coated and install a high flow crossover pipe. Not only is it cheaper but you will have more low end torque response than you will get with headers. Check out: http://www.grimmspeed.com/pnp.php#exhaustmanifold

The stock boost control solenoid (BCS) sucks. When you get a protune it is advised that you updrade to the GM BCS or similar [Perrin and Prodrive make them too]

A new turbo inlet wouldn't hurt. It isn't necessary but the stock inlet is plastic and pretty restrictive. The same idea applies to the y-pipe for the TMIC, but you should definitely upgrade to a bigger TMIC too. The stock TMIC is very small on the 06/07 models. To improve the air flow in your motor you could also port,polish and coat (P&P)your turbo, P&P your throttle body, P&P your tumbler generator valves (TGV's) and intake manifold.

Stepping up to a Walboro fuel pump and bigger injectors would be a good idea too. with a Protune you can be limited by the fuel output of the system and with an aggressive tune you could max out your stock injectors.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Shoaf View Post
Yes.. You simply need to find a local tuner that can tune the AP.. If your close to Agile I have expierience with them and it was all +

http://www.agileauto.com/
Agile is awesome. I have been there with a friend as well as having my own car tuned there. They have also tuned several locals too. Everyone seems to have a positive experience with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Shoaf View Post
Negative, I'm about 6 hours away and drove there to get my buddies car tuned.. (Kjott21). PM him if you want to ask him anything about them, he is a knowledgeable guy..
Ehhhh.... I know a little

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 08:51 PM
WRXpert

^^ says the king of "Every little bit helps"..

post #15 of 20 Old 07-05-2007, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Wow, that was some pretty useful stuff right there haha. Thanks for taking the time to explain things a little simpler than the guy before you. One quick intercooler question. Ebay intercoolers...yay or nay? I've read up on it and there have been mixed results, but a lot of people say they work great and they're pretty cheap. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement