Subaru WRX Forum banner

what is needed to make 400-450 HP

97K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  brfatal 
#1 ·
I've had my 06 WRX for 6 months now and looking to make more power. I have a header and a 3" turbo back exhaust but that's it. I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction on parts. 400-450 HP is my goal but i want to make sure i get the parts that work best together. Turbo size, injector size, can i a cobb accessport or is something else needed, front mount intercooler size and any thing else you guys think i need or need to know. I really want to start getting the parts for this project but don't want to get the wrong parts. I appreciate any help you can give me.

#2 ·
Well my friend, I am not the most experienced person on the site but I do know that you are asking for a whole lot of power. First off, is you current setup tuned? Not alot of people have that kind of power. That is more work than just IC, injectors, fuel pump, turbo, etc. But, if you can get it, than i sure as hell want a ride in your car !Thumbs Up

#4 ·
Engine work and transmission work. Plenty of work/money for the both of them. A good shop to talk to would also help out. I know that any transmission that you want to handle that power will cost anywhere from $5-7k easy.

Another thing what about past cars/projects and their power output (not trying to be a prick)? But if you have never been near that power it can be intimidating and hard to handle at first. Just another thing to think about.

#6 ·
brfatal made a good point , i meant CHP or something around 350 WHP i'm not sure how much you loose through the all wheel. I ordered a cobb accessport and intake for now, untill i figure out what i will need to get close to that HP. Yes newtothegame this would be the most horsepower car i've had. The one before was a 91 5.0 Mustang, close to that horsepower but any body that drove one knows 1st and 2nd gear are useless they just spin most of the time that's why i went for the wrx not to mention i wanted one for a while, no 4cyl sounds as good as a wrx. basco that is very helpfull, and that's one bad suby, thanks again to everyone.

#8 ·
Spinning the wheels is the only thing that keeps the mustang from destroying it's transmission. Your 5-speed isn't designed for 200whp let alone 350whp. You need to include a new transmission if you want to actually use that kind of power on a daily basis.

Engine could use some help, but doesn't need much. I'd be looking at GT30R's for that kind of power range. 20G as recommended by the above poster will get you more 310-330 mattering on the dyno.

#11 ·
He said 400-450 chp. He set a ~350 whp (450 chp) goal, which a 20G can easily do. 30R, Dom2.5, and a 20G on E85 are bit much for what he wants when the latter can do it consistently on pump. He doesn't necessarily need to tear his block down and build it for his demands.

#9 ·
Well that's about the limit of the stock internals.... Any more than that and you would want at a minimum forged pistons, but I would just do rods while you're at it.

As for the tranny, if you don't do it before, you'll probably have to do it at some point. It may last two years, it may last two days. It's a crap shot really.

You could make that kind of power, even more, if you run a 20g-xt with E85. If you're looking at 93 or lower, yeah you'll need to step up to a gt3071/76 or at least a dom 2.5 xtr.

#13 ·
350whp is sniffing awefully close to blown piston territory. My tuner has seen it happen more than a few times. The 5 speed especially if abused will crap out quick around those levels. If treated nicely...it could last a while. But, I wouldn't hold my breath for it not needing replaced in 6 or so months. Like I said...if abused...the transmission could last 6 weeks.

My old 06 WRX TR was upgraded by its new owner at CBRD to +/-320whp +/-330wtq and 6 weeks later he was calling back asking for a transmission build. (The mods were a VF48, STI TMIC, DP, and fuel pump). I left it with a SPT Intake and a SPT CBE when I traded it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.