What CBE to get? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-05-2009, 05:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

mzagorski is an unknown
What CBE to get?

Running a stock 06 WRX and looking to add a little rumble! Any advice on what CBE to get that's going to give more rumble, but maybe not to the point that it'll have cat's/dog's 10 blocks away crapping it? ... Was thinking Invidia N1? but have heard that it might be on the excessive (is that even possible...haha) side... Thanks for any advice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
COBB makes a tame exhaust that brings out the rumble pretty well. I'm running it on my 09 and I like it. You can check for clips on youtube but they usually don't do a whole lot of justice to the actual sound.

Here is a vid of it on my 09...

-Chris
#3 Old 11-05-2009, 06:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

allvolwrx is more helpful than not
I would get the one you like the sound of. You can probably find clips of lots of different ones on the net. The important part is the dp. Make sure you get a quality one. COBB makes very good high quality parts as Rcrs Wet Dream mentioned.
#4 Old 11-05-2009, 07:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

d-rungSTi is an unknown
I have a Megan Racing catback and it's awesome. I've had so many complements on how quiet it is even at wot. You could get the Type 2 Megan Racing catblack and it's actually a flat black coated exhaust with a polised 3'' tip. Looks so sweet!
#5 Old 11-05-2009, 08:19 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
WRX STi Exhaust: Catback & Turboback Exhausts, Gaskets, Hangers, Headers & Components JSC Speed check out the bottom of the page. Its the more popular exhausts for the car. It rates them on about how loud they are. Personally I love the sound and look of my Cobb TBE. Looks stock, nice rumble at idle, and lets you know it means something at WOT. But like mentioned before the CBE is more for sound.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 11-05-2009, 08:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

allvolwrx is more helpful than not
+1 for the looks of the Megan racing catblack. I love the stealth look!
#7 Old 11-05-2009, 09:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Deli_B is an unknown
I have an 05 sedan with a SPT catback. I like it a lot. Nice stock look, not to loud, but very throaty. My personal advice is to sit on youtube for days and look up exhaust sounds. There is pretty much at least one clip of any kind of catback out there. But ultimately you have to pull the trigger according to your taste and needs. Good luck, but know that any exhaust is going to be great and you will love hearing your boxer engine.
#8 Old 11-05-2009, 10:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I say go for a full 3" angled-exit, big momma, fart can, grapefruit shooter, obnoxious, rumbling, growling, monstrosity of a cat back. It's a WRX and it was built to rumble. The loudest cat backs on the market can be quiet when you want/need them to be. Unless you're old and/or have a family, get something loud (no offense to anybody who falls into those two categories). You only live once. Be heard. Be seen. Have no regrets. You'll love it! My .02

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#9 Old 11-06-2009, 06:28 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
You only live once. Be heard. Be seen. Have no regrets. You'll love it! My .02
Get noticed, get a ticket, get pissed for it. Thats the only issue/problem with the angled, big, loud fart can of an exhaust. It doesnt lok stock, and therefore can and usually draws more attention to you. Im not disagreeing that they dont sound good or even look good occassionally, its just something else to think about.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 11-06-2009, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
I'd say go for either the SPT or COBB, both unfortunately a little expensive, but both are really good and sound great, but are on the quieter side...
#11 Old 11-06-2009, 08:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, that's true. It also depends where you live and what your driving habits are. Fortunately for me, the police in my area don't seem to care too much about modded cars. If you can control yourself and try to be quiet and respectful around the police and in neighborhoods and other places where you should try not to make too much noise, odds are you'll be just fine. On the flip side, it sure is great fun rumbling down the road and hearing the sound of the exhaust bounce off brick walls and jersey barriers, going under overpasses and through tunnels at WOT for a split second, and setting off car alarms in parking garages in first gear

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#12 Old 11-06-2009, 08:39 PM

Speaking of setting off car alarms, Im the new guy in my unit, and every morning I go by my commanders BMW and accidentaly set off his alarm with my car. He hasnt figured out its me, yet.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#13 Old 11-08-2009, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

silvburu is an unknown
im ordering my 3" catback but im running the stock downpipe for now. i know when you have an aftermarket dp and stock cbe you need the adapter to taper from a 3" to 2.5". its the same for when you run aftermarket cbe to stock dp right? still need the adapter?

and its a big mama fart can i love the suby sound and the louder the better. cops never really give us to many problems with exhaust except for the big straight pipe diesel trucks kids are driving
#14 Old 11-08-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvburu View Post
im ordering my 3" catback but im running the stock downpipe for now. i know when you have an aftermarket dp and stock cbe you need the adapter to taper from a 3" to 2.5". its the same for when you run aftermarket cbe to stock dp right? still need the adapter?

and its a big mama fart can i love the suby sound and the louder the better. cops never really give us to many problems with exhaust except for the big straight pipe diesel trucks kids are driving
That all depends on the type of flange on the DP and CBE if you need the adaptor or not. Some brands need the adaptor, some dont.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#15 Old 11-08-2009, 12:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

silvburu is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
That all depends on the type of flange on the DP and CBE if you need the adaptor or not. Some brands need the adaptor, some dont.
the cbe is a flat flange but doesnt the dp kinda bow in for a donut to fit?