What are the best HID kits? - Subaru WRX Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-01-2011, 11:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

doglover2050 is an unknown
What are the best HID kits?

I got some about 3 months ago but now the brightness has faded so much that they hardly light up the road. Price isn't a concern, I just want to know what is the best ones to get so the bulbs don't fade in 2 or 3 months. The ones I got were from Ebay so they had no warranty. I found this HID site which covers the bulbs for a year, but what color should I get? I want one that's really bright and still looks cool. This site like any other sites recommends 6000k? Is it true?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-01-2011, 02:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Go to Sharp HID. I have 55 watt ballasts with the Heavy Duty wiring harness and 6000k lights. they are so nice and bright white.

2003 WRX Hybrid build,

Brian
#3 Old 04-01-2011, 03:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
what type of headlight housings do you have? If they're not retrofitted your doing all of your fellow drivers a great dis-service by putting HIDs in
gunk007 likes this.

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#4 Old 04-01-2011, 04:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
And we started a retrofit thread down in the non-performance forum.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#5 Old 04-01-2011, 05:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ I saw that! I still think the best retrofit is either get the JDM factory HID units or the same model STi

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#6 Old 04-02-2011, 01:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
You can't use an HID kit if you don't have headlight that came with HIDs stock. Even then it is, it's still the wrong way to go about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
Go to Sharp HID. I have 55 watt ballasts with the Heavy Duty wiring harness and 6000k lights. they are so nice and bright white.
You're an inconsiderate buffoon. Keep you ill-wisdom to yourself.
gunk007 likes this.

Last edited by brfatal; 04-02-2011 at 11:48 AM.
#7 Old 04-02-2011, 11:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I don't know if any of you have experienced this, but one of my HID bulbs turned really purple and then burned out after ~2.5 years and ~55k miles, so I had to replace both bulbs since the one that was still good was a noticeably different color than the new one.

(Sharp HID 35w 5000k, daytime running lights NOT disabled)

Also, the holes that I had to cut through the plastic caps behind the lights to feed the HID bulb wires through were allowing a bit of moisture into the headlight housings through the rubber grommets that were supposed to seal them completely, so I had to remove both headlight assemblies from the car and bake them in an oven to dry them out really well and then use some silicone to seal up the space between the rubber gromets and the plastic caps... at that point I probably should have just done a retrofit.

I agree, a retrofit is certainly the best way to go, but in my opinion, the stock 06/07 WRX projector headlight housings aren't nearly as bad as some other cars that I've seen with extremely glarey aftermarket HID kits (older Civics and Scion TCs with reflector housings immediately come to mind).

John
07 WRX
#8 Old 04-02-2011, 11:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
You can't use an HID kit if you don't have headlight that came with HIDs stock. Even then it is, it's still the wrong way to go about it.

You're an inconsiderate buffoon. Keep you ill-wisdom to yourself.

I hope you kidding me right?? I have installed THIS same kit in 4 other friends cars. All them came without HID's in them. This kit comes with the ballasts, wiring/ relay and bulbs. So please tell me WHY a person CAN'T use an HID kit if you dont have headlights that came with HID's stock?????

2003 WRX Hybrid build,

Brian
#9 Old 04-02-2011, 12:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

because you end up with this

which blinds the on coming driver
gunk007 likes this.

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#10 Old 04-04-2011, 10:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
I hope you kidding me right?? I have installed THIS same kit in 4 other friends cars. All them came without HID's in them. This kit comes with the ballasts, wiring/ relay and bulbs. So please tell me WHY a person CAN'T use an HID kit if you dont have headlights that came with HID's stock?????
So because something fits it means it's suitable for use?

And you're not just a fool for installing this crap on 1 car, but on 5? Hope you don't happen to run across me on the road, because I've had no problem returning favor with 100w driving lights.

This is what you consider "so nice":
#11 Old 04-04-2011, 11:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well think what you want!! Non of them look like that at all!!

2003 WRX Hybrid build,

Brian
#12 Old 04-04-2011, 02:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
What car does the OP have ?

Brian, I'd like to see some links you have used... Might help the OP as well.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#13 Old 07-19-2011, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

drizzy is an unknown
Hey man Ive bought these acouple of times and they are really good. Never faded or anything like that. If you want you can give them a try.

HID Kits - Xenon Kit - Car Lights
#14 Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
With a retrofit or STI HID headlights.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#15 Old 08-07-2011, 01:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

pocketrocket41 is an unknown
sorry new here but how do u retrofit?

Cobb APStage1+AEMCAI 93 muffler delete magnaflow quad tips. Kartboy SS MOMO knob 8kHID Smoked tails.