Were should I start for a "sleeper"? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

SilverWagon7 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
jrswrx69: Nope, I'm not using an aftermarket boost controller. I'm not sure what level my boost is at when fuel cut hits - which I'm pretty sure I hit every once in a while on the highway. I'd have to plug in my AP and check it out on that gauge some time. I was under the impression that fuel cut is a safety feature built into Cobb's conservative off-the-shelf maps - is this right? I don't think I drive my car hard enough that this will be an issue. I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I've hit fuel cut.

SilverWagon7: Heh, nope, it's not a book (that I know of anyway). It's just an expression to clarify exactly what I meant by saying what I said

Joszfor_p: "I dont know how the stock Cat back will work with a DP i heard its not the best idea supposedly too much back pressure." - In response to this, the Cobb dp is manufactured with a taper where it connects to the cat back that goes from 3" to 2.5". This makes a smooth transition to the stock cat back which has 2.25" diameter piping. The stock cat back section of the exhaust is really not very restrictive. The piping is plenty big for Stage 2 power levels and up to around 300 hp or so. Only when you get into the really big hp numbers should you consider upgrading the pipe size of your cat back - unless you desire sound and looks, which many people do. There's nothing wrong with that
Yea I see what mean now. lol thanks for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 09-04-2008, 11:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

STi05817 is on thin ice
Send a message via AIM to STi05817
another mod you could do = bigger turbo inlet pipe
#18 Old 09-04-2008, 12:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nic17fly is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Nic17fly
Sleeper heh, then go stage 2 or higher on mods (quiet exhaust like a borla hush.) Then strip all the badges, spray paint the entire car black so its not glossy.

Nicolas

BUGEYES FOR LIFE
#19 Old 09-04-2008, 03:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
If you want TRUE sleeper, get a front mount intercooler, paint it flat black, and trade someone with a non-turbo 06-07 impreza hoods for the no-hoodscoop... Then no one will know you're boosted.
The de-badging isn't a bad idea either.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#20 Old 09-04-2008, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
perrin and cobb make turbo back exhaust that aren't very loud but provide the power your looking for. also if you wanted to get a new intake i suggest you use an aps CAI because it was made for the wrx and it doesn't cause any leaning out like other CAI's do which is a deff. no no lol. other than what the others said about getting it flashed you will be be fine until your ready to put more money into it.

APS Performance
ScoobyTuner.com - Engine, Suspension, Brakes, ECU Tuning and more for your STi, WRX, Legacy, & Forrester

check them out and look around and see what you like. they all provide good products that would be excellent for the look your going for

Last edited by mosc; 09-05-2008 at 10:10 AM.
#21 Old 09-04-2008, 07:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post!

Last edited by mosc; 09-05-2008 at 10:10 AM.
#22 Old 09-05-2008, 10:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

BriiBroww is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BriiBroww
Make sure to get a boost gauge and hide it somewhere clever!

I think altering the appearance of the car will make it more noticeable. So, in my opinion, I'd leave all of the badges and I wouldn't paint anything. A good downpipe w/ a nice tune should set you off on the right foot.

Last edited by BriiBroww; 09-05-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: More notes
#23 Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriiBroww View Post
Make sure to get a boost gauge and hide it somewhere clever!.

I hide gauges in the glove box.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#24 Old 09-05-2008, 02:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Joszfor_p is an unknown
i think that a real sleeper, is not painted flat black. But the point is to keep your looking and sounding as stock as possible. Not looking like an idiot with a car painted with a black primer. And what's the point of having your gauges in the glove box if you have to take your eyes of the road to look at them. Non sense.
#25 Old 09-05-2008, 02:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Get a Borla hush cat-back. Catted downpipe. And you should be good until you are power hungry...
#26 Old 09-05-2008, 03:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Joszfor_p is an unknown
and the Cobb Access Port.
#27 Old 09-06-2008, 03:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Burd@MAP is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Burd@MAP Send a message via MSN to Burd@MAP
My question would be what do you mean by sleeper? Some people like to make their car look as if it is a non turbo model. Others like the look of their car and just want to add performance with out being a "ricer". So what are you looking for?

Depending on who you plan to have tune your car I would say a re-flash is cheaper but not always better. The AccessPort will allow you to change from stage 1 to stage 2 with out having to buy another re-flashed. I know most people spend anywhere from 300-500 on a flash. So you get an ECU flash and then down the road add more mods(intake, turbo inlet, downpipe) you will need to get retuned and be at or above the cost of an AccessPort. The AP comes with multiple stages built in (stage 1 and stage 2, and 91 or 93 octane) and they are proven to make significant power gains throughout all RPM's - all the while still giving you the ability to return to 100% stock.

Cobb does make an awesome downpipe, but for the "sleeper" I imagine, an accessport would be my first purchase.
#28 Old 09-08-2008, 01:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

SilverWagon7 is an unknown
By a sleeper i would like my car to look as stock as possible with out it sounding like a 1/4 mile car. My plans is for now to just leave the outside appearance as is and maybe later down the road buy a bigger turbo and a FMIC and find an impreza hood with no hood scoop. I am planning on purchasing the cobb accessport first and then the down pipe. I also had some ideas for mounting the boost gauge, were the AUX input is. I was thinking of taking the AUX port out and mounting it on my side of the center consol and trying to find a gauge that would be small enough to fit in there. I also had the idea of mounting it on my lower left side in the "change drawer" in front of the fuses. I noticed that when I pull it open if i glance down and look through my steering wheel, I would be able to see the gauge with out turning my head at all. What do you guys think?

And thanks everyone for all of the input so far, it's been givining me some ideas that I would never have thought of.
#29 Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Maxwell House special....Good to the last drop. being sarcastic
#30 Old 09-08-2008, 03:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

ImNASTI is an unknown
Send a message via Skype™ to ImNASTI
my brother had a 90 prelude that he completely covered with undercoating.....no ones gonna see that commiong, makes it hard if you wanna do that move in the movies where they slide across the hood though......lesson learned