Subaru WRX Forum banner

Walbro Fuel Pump

38K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  07Wrx! 
#1 ·
I just need someone to confirm or deny my suspicions. I'm thinking about buying a Walbro 255 fuel pump, in preparation for future mods. Am I correct that installing a fuel pump won't require a tune, because the ECU controls the amount of fuel, not the fuel pump?

On that note, would it be difficult to install a fuel pump in my car? What is involved?

Thanks.

#9 ·
All i have to say about Walbro pumps is never get them off of EBAY, I read in a few different places that this place in China is making alot of them and calling them Walbro fuel pumps and right when you put them in they are louder than normal and they will not last long at all. Please save your self time and money in the long run and make sure you are getting them from a respectful place and dont cheap out on a fuel pump EVER.

#10 ·
Also be weary of running them below a quarter tank. I have seen and heard about them burning up because of them not being properly cooled. I personally NEVER let my tank even touch the 1/4 tank mark.

#12 ·
I guess I don't really understand what that has to do with the pump being cooled, but thanks for the advice. I might just hold off on the pump for a little while, cause my tank usually ends up on E before I fill it. It's difficult for me to keep up with it when I'm commuting every day.
Again, thanks for the awesome info guys.

P.S. I don't buy cheap crap off Ebay, so nothing to worry about.

#11 ·
...on the fuel pump loudness note: a friend of mine has a red 90-something Honda Civic hatchback that's street legal, but basically a full race car with around 800 hp - fully built engine running race gas, gutted interior except two lightweight racing seats, removable steering wheel, 5 point harnesses, fuel cell, 10 point roll cage, huge turbo, fmic, the works... and it looks stock from the outside except for a carbon fiber hood, modest front lip, fmic poking through the grill, and of course the low ride height and exhaust. He also has a 1,000 (yep, one thousand) liter per hour fuel pump and that thing buzzes and makes all kinds of noise when the car is turned on. It's absolutely insane. When he's cruising on the highway doing about 60 mph, he can stomp the gas pedal to the floor and he'll lose traction. It's like driving on ice. C-r-a-z-y.

But good job point out the possibility of knock off fuel pumps, VD.

#16 ·
He also has a 1,000 (yep, one thousand) liter per hour fuel pump and that thing buzzes and makes all kinds of noise when the car is turned on. It's absolutely insane.
I bet he has a Aeromotive A1000, I use two of those and a mechanical pump ran off the cam shaft in our drag car. those pumps are very loud but I cant hear them once the engine is started. haha

#14 ·
Fuel pumps, like many other liquid pumps, are often cooled by the liquid that they are supposed to be pumping. Running a pump dry is usually a good way to burn it out. This is not always the case, but since it is cheaper to manufacture the pump without heatsinks or a heat dissipating design you can bet that it is usually the case.

#17 ·
Yeah, you're probably right. Sounds like you have a big nasty V8 in your car. His is a 4 cylinder (I want to say an Integra GS-R motor - I'm sure with upgraded internals) so it's actually sort of quiet when it's just idling so the fuel pump buzz/noise is definitely noticeable until he steps on the gas. I was under the impression that the Walbro 255 lph fuel pump was about as big as they come, but apparently I was wrong. Learn something new every day...

#18 · (Edited)
hey bro i did the walbor 255 fuel pump on my 06 wrx took 45 min tops no you dont need a tune but it is recomended todo so suggestion once you upgrade fuel pump upgrade injectors to a min of 750 cc cuase if a tuner tunes your car to atleast 19.5 psi it will max the stock 550 cc injestors that on the 06 wrx or if you have the sti 565cc ones will be the same!Thumbs Up hopes this helps robbie at epic motorsports in nc tuned my car 290hp awd/305tq awd

#19 ·
That information is absurd. You dont have to tune for the fuel pump, injectors YES. And there really is no minimum injector size to upgrade to if you are still running a stock turbo. You need to plan for future mods, and even consult your tuner, or look around the web. Jscspeed.com has a chart for turbo/injector sizing.

What you posted helped nothing, stop passing on and posting BS information.

#20 ·
hey bro i did the walbor 255 fuel pump on my 06 wrx took 45 min tops no you dont need a tune but it is recomended todo so suggestion once you upgrade fuel pump upgrade injectors to a min of 750 cc cuase if a tuner tunes your car to atleast 19.5 psi it will max the stock 550 cc injestors that on the 06 wrx or if you have the sti 565cc ones will be the same hopes this helps robbie at epic motorsports in nc tuned my car 290hp awd/305tq awd

so making sugestion from whats actualy being ran on vf43 turbo stock 550cc injectors is bs so be it but i have dyno sheet for proof:beatentod

#22 ·
Hypothetically yes, if you're on the stock turbo. In reality maybe, maybe not. You may not be able to get them to 100%, but you'll probably come close, and you don't really want to run them past 80-85% duty cycle for longevity. My advice, you're talking about future plans, just do the injectors right and be in a safe duty cycle range. If your future plans include a larger turbo, then obviously you'll need injectors even if it's tuned to 18 psi or even less.

In case anybody reading this doesn't understand- Higher CFM (bigger turbo) at the same PSI still results in more air in the engine, thus the need for more fuel. I guess think of it as two ballons under the same pressure, but one is twice the size. Yes they're at the same PSI, but the larger balloon is going to hold more air.

#23 ·
Technically if your tuner can get the duty cycles to +/- 90% on the 06-07 565 injectors WHICH THEY BOTH DO..... He will be able to tune the max boost down to lets say.... 17lbs and taper it off to 13... The powerband is a little more useable in day to day driving from my experience.

#28 ·
Walboro Fuel pumps are cheap and relatively crappy. However, a DECENT fuel pump may cost you 10x as much (they are not exactly plug and play). So join us in our wonderful world of crappy yet necessary fuel pumps!

#30 ·
Mike no problem. Eveyone I knew that had a subie up in WA was running a warlboro. From simple stage 2 to a few guys running over 500HP. None of them (to include me) haave experienced any problems with them. My shop said one of the keys with it is to never lever the fuel tank get below the 1/4 mark, or the pump will burn up. They said thats the biggest problem, or at least that they have seen with them.

#32 ·
I guess I don't get why the tank being under a quarter will overheat the pump... Generally pumps that pump liquid are cooled by the fluid that flow through them, not the fluid surrounding around them, although I'm sure it doesn't hurt. Only thing I can see as being bad would be running out of gas, so the pump is working with no fluid whatsoever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.