Walbro Fuel Pump - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
From simple stage 2 to a few guys running over 500HP. None of them (to include me) have experienced any problems with them. My shop said one of the keys with it is to never let the fuel tank get below the 1/4 mark, or the pump will burn up.
Alright. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I guess I don't get why the tank being under a quarter will overheat the pump... Generally pumps that pump liquid are cooled by the fluid that flow through them, not the fluid surrounding around them, although I'm sure it doesn't hurt. Only thing I can see as being bad would be running out of gas, so the pump is working with no fluid whatsoever.

-Chris
#33 Old 01-06-2010, 11:45 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
my understanding of the failure is just a byproduct of being an "in tank" pump to begin with. A decent fuel pump would be external to the fuel tank. I don't think it's purely overheating. There's a lot of issues of corrosion from the gas itself. Dealerships see these problems with the stock pumps too it should be noted.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#34 Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Pretty much what mosc said. It doesn't hurt to not go below the 1/4 tank of gas. It helps make sure your flowing the right amount of fuel, even in hard corners, and i'm sure it might give it a little extra cooling abilities. You can go below the 1/4 line on a walboro, just don't beat on it at that point. Its that or just be cautious and fill it up.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#35 Old 04-30-2013, 05:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

Aggro Crag is an unknown
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Aggro Crag
My car is totally stock. I have a 2.0 turbo. Can I use a Forester's fuel pump that is for a 2.5 liter engine? Will it fit? It's about half the price!
#36 Old 04-30-2013, 03:58 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
your car is probably not a USDM and who knows about the forrester so I don't think folks here can give you very good advise.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#37 Old 05-01-2013, 03:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

Aggro Crag is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
your car is probably not a USDM and who knows about the forrester so I don't think folks here can give you very good advise.
You're right it's not USDM, but a turbo EJ20 engine is in USDM subarus as well. (if I am not mistaken) So they should be able to, but surely you can't speak for everyone. In fact most any mechanic with a bit more experience than ourselves should have some idea.
The real question is, will a fuel pump intended for a NA EJ25 be able deliver fuel properly to my EJ20 turbo motor? Understanding that I do not want to run lean, and a little rich is acceptable.
#38 Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggro Crag View Post
You're right it's not USDM, but a turbo EJ20 engine is in USDM subarus as well. (if I am not mistaken) So they should be able to, but surely you can't speak for everyone. In fact most any mechanic with a bit more experience than ourselves should have some idea.
The real question is, will a fuel pump intended for a NA EJ25 be able deliver fuel properly to my EJ20 turbo motor? Understanding that I do not want to run lean, and a little rich is acceptable.
Tell you what, get a vin# from an ej25 and call a parts dealer when you get the 2 vins together. If they have a different part #, more than likely there will be differences.

I'm pretty sure Subaru put the same pump in all models but the H6.

EXCEPT the DI versions.... and then you are in a new world.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#39 Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Aggro Crag is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Tell you what, get a vin# from an ej25 and call a parts dealer when you get the 2 vins together. If they have a different part #, more than likely there will be differences.

I'm pretty sure Subaru put the same pump in all models but the H6.

EXCEPT the DI versions.... and then you are in a new world.
yeah, I'm not about to do any of that. I posted the question here, because I assumed that anyone who replied would have a bit of expertise on WRXs. "I'm pretty sure" or call some one else doesn't really help me bud.
At any rate I went ahead and made my own assumption. I assumed that any fuel pump from an engine of equal or great displacement would work. So I put in one from a Nissan R32.
It seems to work fine, just a bit noisy.

ahhh yeah
#40 Old 05-17-2013, 09:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggro Crag View Post
yeah, I'm not about to do any of that. I posted the question here, because I assumed that anyone who replied would have a bit of expertise on WRXs. "I'm pretty sure" or call some one else doesn't really help me bud.
At any rate I went ahead and made my own assumption. I assumed that any fuel pump from an engine of equal or great displacement would work. So I put in one from a Nissan R32.
It seems to work fine, just a bit noisy.
I'm going to place this nice and tight on your chest. I gave you a solution and you went WAY outside it and will probably torch you car (help the next owner)

You assuming one thing and expecting another is a bit far fetched..... If you're THAT lazy and don't want to follow what people have suggested to you..... then... good luck to you.

And hope I don't troll you through the entire internet..... "bud"

go on with your bad self
the RIOT act likes this.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#41 Old 05-17-2013, 09:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is more helpful than not
ok, not trying to be pushy or anything and not trying to be dick because i diont know that much but left but my shop suggested this over a walboro 255 ..
If it were me, I would most def. do the fuel pump. Instead of the Walbro 255, we always suggest the Deatschwerks 65c, as it is direct drop in and the Walbro units tend to fail sometimes.
once again not trying to meddle but i have been told different and am wondering what i should do.
#42 Old 09-24-2013, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

texasmr2 is a helpful contributing member
Nothing has been mentioned about installing a QUALITY fpr, Weldon ftw.