Subaru WRX Forum banner

Walbro Fuel Pump

38K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  07Wrx! 
#1 ·
I just need someone to confirm or deny my suspicions. I'm thinking about buying a Walbro 255 fuel pump, in preparation for future mods. Am I correct that installing a fuel pump won't require a tune, because the ECU controls the amount of fuel, not the fuel pump?

On that note, would it be difficult to install a fuel pump in my car? What is involved?

Thanks.

#33 ·
my understanding of the failure is just a byproduct of being an "in tank" pump to begin with. A decent fuel pump would be external to the fuel tank. I don't think it's purely overheating. There's a lot of issues of corrosion from the gas itself. Dealerships see these problems with the stock pumps too it should be noted.

#34 ·
Pretty much what mosc said. It doesn't hurt to not go below the 1/4 tank of gas. It helps make sure your flowing the right amount of fuel, even in hard corners, and i'm sure it might give it a little extra cooling abilities. You can go below the 1/4 line on a walboro, just don't beat on it at that point. Its that or just be cautious and fill it up.

#37 ·
You're right it's not USDM, but a turbo EJ20 engine is in USDM subarus as well. (if I am not mistaken) So they should be able to, but surely you can't speak for everyone. In fact most any mechanic with a bit more experience than ourselves should have some idea.
The real question is, will a fuel pump intended for a NA EJ25 be able deliver fuel properly to my EJ20 turbo motor? Understanding that I do not want to run lean, and a little rich is acceptable.

#41 ·
ok, not trying to be pushy or anything and not trying to be dick because i diont know that much but left but my shop suggested this over a walboro 255 ..
If it were me, I would most def. do the fuel pump. Instead of the Walbro 255, we always suggest the Deatschwerks 65c, as it is direct drop in and the Walbro units tend to fail sometimes.
once again not trying to meddle but i have been told different and am wondering what i should do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.