Villanous power craving! - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 Old 07-18-2006, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ChrisCJ99 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex-ya
Any stock type turbo will hook up. by that I mean a turbo meant for a wrx or STi that is not a "rotated assembly". You'll know it before you buy it if it's rotated. They usually come in kits. An STi turbo would be a waste of money unless you plan to buy a used one of a guy with an STi. The VF34 is nice. you could put down around 300hp with it. I had a VF22. It spools a little later (like 34-3500rpm) but will put you in your seat all the way to redline. I ran STi injectors with a walbro pump and a hyperflow TMIC. I put 301hp/300lb.ft. to the wheels on a very hot day. These numbers were on a 2.0 so I can't be sure how the 2.5 will perform. I can only think better. It should spool quicker and make more torque.
Ok.... So I'm again a bit confused from what the Subaru shop guy has told me. I possibly have a customer who just upgraded his '05 Sti intercooler and turbo that may want to sell me his stock turbo(VF39) and intercooler. But from what I've heard I'd prob only get about 289ish whp. But my question is, wouldn't it be more worth it to buy a BRAND NEW VF34 and new intercooler? I mean, I'm going to be spending about $700 for installation I'm guessing regardless of putting on a NEW or USED piece. ($200 for dyno, $200 for Ecu map programming and $300 for installation of turbo). The shop said that the VF34 would NOT be much different from than the VF39. How is this true?? Can anyone explain the difference between an Sti turbo(VF39) and the VF34? and should the Sti intercooler be sufficient for the VF34? !Notfunny! (just in case I go with the VF34 and get the used Sti intercooler).....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 07-18-2006, 07:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

JiveMasterT is more helpful than not
The VF34 is a bigger turbo. Unless you're getting that VF39 for $50, I wouldn't do it. It's better to go bigger and brand new in order to get a little more power than to go with the smaller turbo. Unless you're broke or something...

Same thing with the intercooler... If you found a sweet deal on a big intercooler then go for it. No sense in going with a used STI intercooler if you can get something bigger for a similar price.

The VF39 and VF34 are both ball bearing turbos butt he VF34 is able to flow more air than the 39. They both have similar spool characteristics so I wouldn't even worry about that. If you have the money then do this right the first time and get the VF34.

Patrick - 2007 STi Limited
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #33 of 38 Old 07-20-2006, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ChrisCJ99 is an unknown
Ok. This is VERY FRUSTRATING! I've been told that I should go with the VF34 or VF22 as opposed to the VF39. So I inquired about the VF22 and VF34 at the perfomance shop at Subaru and the guy INSISTS that the VF34 or VF22 will NOT to better than the VF39 on a 2.5L (the 2006 WRX engine). How is this possible??? He says the VF34 and VF22 would be good for a 2.0L, but not on a 2.5L..... So what turbo is good for a 2.5L engine??? I know people say to upgrade to the stock Sti turbo (VF39), but I don't wanna spend about that much for installation and stuff for something that won't be THAT substantial. So my question is, and it may be the same answer, what turbo would be good on a 2.5L WRX OR Sti. And has anyone upgraded their turbos on a 2006? Any help would be appreciated.
post #34 of 38 Old 07-20-2006, 04:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex-ya is more helpful than not
If memory serves me correctly, the VF34 is the turbo that comes on the STi Spec C over in Japan. It is bigger than a VF39. Get that TurboXS intercooler. That's a great deal on a very nice TMIC. It's the one I used with the VF22. See if they are including the piping. if not, you will want to get some good silicone piping. Again my advice is that the VF34 or VF39 is a waste of time. You will max it out quickly and be looking for more. Here is a link to the VF22.

http://www.fastwrx.com/ihivfturup.html

If you are getting a tune anyway, you can tune it for your current injectors. then when you are ready to upgrade, you are only a tune away from more power, instead of having to buy another bigger turbo.

Plus, big power isn't just about psi, it's about CFM. The VF22 flows more air so even at lower psi, you'll get a denser charge and with that, more power. Getting that power at lower pressure will help extend the life of the turbo and the engine.

'06 WRX STi
post #35 of 38 Old 07-20-2006, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ChrisCJ99 is an unknown
See, this is my dilema. The shop INSISTS that I am wasting my money and I won't see a big increase over the VF39 since I'm throwing it on a 2.5L engine. You ran your VF22 on a 2.0L right? He says it'll be too small of a turbo for a bigger engine.... Do you have any links on 06 WRX or Sti's that upgraded to any of these turbos? The other option he gave me was to put on a APS SR40 or SR55.... But of course I'll be spending a couple more grand... which I'm not willing to do.
post #36 of 38 Old 07-20-2006, 04:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex-ya is more helpful than not
On the 2.0 a VF22 maxes out at aroun 450hp. I see no reason that a 2.5 will be far off that number. While the .5 liter helps with lag and give a bit more torque, it's not that much bigger. You should see similar numbers. You could see what kind of numbers some STi's have gotten with a VF22. There's probably more of them around than '06 WRX's with them.

'06 WRX STi
post #37 of 38 Old 07-21-2006, 02:30 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
There is a Great thread on here that breaks down the differences between the IHI VF series Turbos..

The VF34 is nearly identical to the VF30, with the same exhaust housing and compressor. However the VF34 goes back to the ball bearing design, and in doing so achieves full boost approximately 500RPM sooner than the comparable VF30. The VF34 is the most recent IHI design and as such costs slightly more than its counterpart. Top end performance and maximum output are identical to the 30.

VF39 is a single scroll turbo used on USDM STI and latest 2.5L STIs released internationally. Smaller than VF30/VF34.

IHI VF Turbos Info

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #38 of 38 Old 07-26-2006, 06:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

scooby06rex is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99
See, this is my dilema. The shop INSISTS that I am wasting my money and I won't see a big increase over the VF39 since I'm throwing it on a 2.5L engine. You ran your VF22 on a 2.0L right? He says it'll be too small of a turbo for a bigger engine.... Do you have any links on 06 WRX or Sti's that upgraded to any of these turbos? The other option he gave me was to put on a APS SR40 or SR55.... But of course I'll be spending a couple more grand... which I'm not willing to do.
im new with the wrx and the VF turbos, and the only info on the VF turbos that i know is the link above but if anyone knows anything about turbos which a lot of the people here on the thread do they say exactly what everyone has been. i dont what guy u are talkin to at that shop but he sounds kind of uneducated with these VF's....if the VF22 on a 2.0 starts spoolin at 3300rpm then on a 2.5 roughly is 2800-3100rpm its no where near small it would actually be a good match for the power i really think im going to purchase the VF22 with the turboxs...then again i may do the VF23, we have to take into consideration that this was for the 2.0 so it will be affected differently on the 2.5....this is how i see the whole thing