Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L '04-07 STi and '06-07 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   Villanous power craving! (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/villanous-power-craving-13337/)

ChrisCJ99 07-15-2006 09:01 AM

Villanous power craving!

OK, so I've had my 2006 WRX since january. Since then I've added a HKS downpipe, HKS Carbon Ti exhaust, Injen Cold Air intake, HKS blowoff valve, latest EcuTek ECU upgrade and an EcuTek data monitor ([url]http://mastrowrx.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=264)[/url]. I decided to go with this data monitor ### it tells you A LOT, like exhaust temp, intake temp, boost, oil temp & press, any fault codes and more. I know it doesn't look as cool as some Defi gauges but it cost me $800 out the door and the guy installed it for free and gave me a crash course on how to use it. Any opinions on it?

My main reason for writing this thread is to ask.... What can I do next for more power????? I mean, I know I can do a turbo upgrade, but won't I have to upgrade a lot of other stuff as well? Such as clutch, tranny, brakes, etc... My car now pulled 247 WHP on the dyno after all the mods and ECU change. The car runs nice, but I'm addicted! I'm always wanting more! Sooooooo, any suggestions? :)

ChrisCJ99 07-15-2006 09:10 AM

Oh, I also meant to ask if anyone knows where I can find the proper "ranges" for my readings to be at for my EcuTek data monitor (such as air/fuel ratio, coolant temp, exhaust and intake temp, etc). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

imbeterthanu 07-15-2006 09:49 AM

if and when u want to swap a bigger turbo. theres no real need to upgrade the clutch, brakes etc. the main supporting mods are, fuel pump injectors, tune. but i belive(which i could be wrong) the 06 injectors flo a lot better then the 02-05's.

ChrisCJ99 07-15-2006 04:23 PM

So what kind of gains will I be getting from getting a bigger turbo? I mean, if I'm gonna be spending a few grand on a new turbo system I'm hoping that it'll be a pretty SUBSTANTIAL gain. But will it hurt the car if I do that?

Ian 07-15-2006 04:47 PM

I had a couple of people tell me methynal injection gives you big power, I havn't had time to look into it but you might want to check it out.

rex-ya 07-16-2006 10:13 PM

It depends on how far you want to go. You could put down 350 with a bigger turbo, injectors, pump, and an intercooler (and a tune of course). If you want to go really big, you need to do tranny and clutch work. But do it at the same time if you do. The 5 speed is notorious for breaking gears with a stronger clutch and power over like 350 HP. If you want to go really big (like the 500hp area) do the tranny and clutch work first then save for a rotated setup. you can get big power out of a "stock type" setup, but it will cost you more in the long run.

awd>fwd 07-16-2006 10:48 PM

Get rid of that CAI bro...
That HKS dp isn't helpin you much either.

ChrisCJ99 07-17-2006 08:03 AM

I spoke with the parts guy at the Subaru store. He suggested that I swap my turbo to an Sti turbo (VF30) and put an Sti intercooler on there. He said that there shouldn't be any need for any other upgrades like fuel injectors or anything. But what kind of gains am I REALLY going to be getting from putting on an Sti turbo and the intercooler?? He also suggested putting on APS headers.. But from what I've been hearing, bigger headers will hurt my low end and not do much for top end until redline... soooo??
Also, what's the difference between the VF30 and the VF34? From what the descriptions say, the VF34 seems to be a bit better.... But I'm new to this, so I could be wrong.

ChrisCJ99 07-17-2006 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=ChrisCJ99]I spoke with the parts guy at the Subaru store. He suggested that I swap my turbo to an Sti turbo (VF30) and put an Sti intercooler on there. He said that there shouldn't be any need for any other upgrades like fuel injectors or anything. But what kind of gains am I REALLY going to be getting from putting on an Sti turbo and the intercooler?? He also suggested putting on APS headers.. But from what I've been hearing, bigger headers will hurt my low end and not do much for top end until redline... soooo??
Also, what's the difference between the VF30 and the VF34? From what the descriptions say, the VF34 seems to be a bit better.... But I'm new to this, so I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Oh, also... Will a new Turbo (VF30 or VF34) hook up to my HKS downpipe?

rex-ya 07-17-2006 08:20 AM

Any stock type turbo will hook up. by that I mean a turbo meant for a wrx or STi that is not a "rotated assembly". You'll know it before you buy it if it's rotated. They usually come in kits. An STi turbo would be a waste of money unless you plan to buy a used one of a guy with an STi. The VF34 is nice. you could put down around 300hp with it. I had a VF22. It spools a little later (like 34-3500rpm) but will put you in your seat all the way to redline. I ran STi injectors with a walbro pump and a hyperflow TMIC. I put 301hp/300lb.ft. to the wheels on a very hot day. These numbers were on a 2.0 so I can't be sure how the 2.5 will perform. I can only think better. It should spool quicker and make more torque.

ChrisCJ99 07-17-2006 08:59 AM

Isn't the VF22 the stock turbo that goes on the WRX?? So would I have to replace the fuel injector and pump if I get the VF34? I've read a couple of places that the 06 injectors are similar to the Sti injectors. I would probably like to have around 300-320 whp that pulls all the way to red line. Even with everything that I have right done right now, I notice that the car pulls great from about 3,000 to 5,000.... But then it doesn't pull really after that. So I'm hoping that an upgrade to a VF34 and Sti intercooler will do the trick. I want a car that will be street reliable and be a pretty beastly car.

JiveMasterT 07-17-2006 09:43 AM

You may need a different fuel pump but the injectors will be fine. You will definitely need a bigger intercooler if you go to a bigger turbo though.

Rum_Bacardi 07-17-2006 10:54 AM

just out of curiosity, how much did all those upgrades cost you so far?

ChrisCJ99 07-17-2006 11:04 AM

[QUOTE=Rum_Bacardi]just out of curiosity, how much did all those upgrades cost you so far?[/QUOTE]

It was about $3,300 so far for an Injen Cold Air intake, HKS Blowoff valve, HKS downpipe, HKS Carbon Ti exhaust, Ecutek ECU programming (with protune and Dyno run) and Ecutek Data Monitor.

JiveMasterT 07-17-2006 11:09 AM

And how much power are you making after that? Also, got any track times?