WRXtuners Member

JBWRX06 is an unknown
gotcha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-27-2007, 09:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

squidz is more helpful than not
You guys worry too much, just put a bunch of power down and worry about fixing it if / when it breaks.

Seriously though...The wrx tranny is weak, but not made of glass. I'm not sure what my car is putting to the ground, but i'm beating STI's, and running 12.8's in the 1/4 mile. So the wrx can definately be as fast as the STI (or faster) with minimal mods (you can look at my list) and a 2.0L engine and it _can_ do this on a stock tranny...for a while.

When we did my clutch at about 60k miles, we took apart the tranny to see how it was doing. Everything looked perfect, gears were smooth, shifted fine. I was exctatic, and thought like many others that the trans was fine, there were just a bunch of people out there who can't drive. I sent the gears out to be cryogenically treated (figured hell, while they are out) and two of them shattered. This means that there were hairline stress fractures in the metal. I bought new gears, had them cryogenically treated, and everything seems to be fine.

There is a reason everyone on here tells you that you need a tranny before modding your car, they aren't just being dicks. With mild modifications (Stage 2, maybe a vf 34) you can definately get away with the stock tranny, for a while, if you drive it right.

The unfortunate truth is this: If you have a modded wrx, eventually, no matter how nice you are to it, you will need a gearset replaced. Noone can say when that is, i have seen 350hp cars drive 60k miles on a stcok tranny...and i have seen stock cars break their tranny the first time at the track. Everyone has a story of "i knew a guy who drove this far on this setup", but that doesn't change the fact that our transmissions are weak. I mean hell, there can't be that many bad drivers among us. !Laugh!

--Squidz

Sonic Yellow Bugeye
a.k.a. - "Amber"
#33 Old 04-27-2007, 10:22 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I think it's both that they are weak and there ARE that many bad drivers among us.

16-18 year olds still learning how to drive break trannys. It's a proven fact.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#34 Old 04-27-2007, 12:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

d1sorder is an unknown
im also plannin on going with a vf34 on my 06 wrx. Im getting the TMIC and fuel pump but what is this about injectors, some people say you need them and others say for the 06's you dont. Im currently running stage 2 with invidia divorced wastegate and cobb ap so I hope it will be ok with that. I dont plan on doing lots of launches but I do accept the fact that I WILL eventually have to replace my tranny, hopefully not for a while at least
#35 Old 04-27-2007, 12:42 PM

Garage
You don't NEED them. You MIGHT max your stock ones out, it is possible. Then you would want bigger ones. It matters how your car is tuned.

#36 Old 04-27-2007, 01:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

JBWRX06 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
I think it's both that they are weak and there ARE that many bad drivers among us.

16-18 year olds still learning how to drive break trannys. It's a proven fact.
well i m ll be turning 23 in june so yea i dont beat on my car and i know how to drive stick
#37 Old 04-27-2007, 02:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

d1sorder is an unknown
I think ill get the injectors..
#38 Old 04-27-2007, 02:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

BithellWgn06 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
It would as the 06+ WRX's have smaller TMIC than the 02-05 WRX's but it would be a waste to tune it without doing anything else.I would slap on the VF39 and get a good conservitive tune and you'll be happy.You won't need to buy injectors and the 06+ WRX's use the STI fuel pump.A FMIC is alittle over board.Buy a turbo blanket to cut down some of the underhood heat and tune for fast spool using a 3 port BCS solenoid.
First off let me say, THANK YOU for changing your avatar !!!

Any way, I was just about to post a thread about baggin the stock turbo or the 39. Would the casting be able to handle the added heat? I am going to swap the turbo on my 06 next weekend and was going to bag it, but was`nt sure if it was "safe".

BJJ for the win!
#39 Old 04-27-2007, 04:36 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by BithellWgn06 View Post
First off let me say, THANK YOU for changing your avatar !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BithellWgn06 View Post
Any way, I was just about to post a thread about baggin the stock turbo or the 39. Would the casting be able to handle the added heat? I am going to swap the turbo on my 06 next weekend and was going to bag it, but was`nt sure if it was "safe"
Should be fine.I have used them in the past with no problems.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#40 Old 04-27-2007, 06:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

d1sorder is an unknown
haha just have to say the feedback is so much better and faster on these forumns than nasioc
#41 Old 06-18-2007, 07:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
i have a 03 wrx with exhaust and a upipe, intake and boost controller and i ran a 8.74 in the 1/8 mile i will run with a STI no prob i have beat two of them at the track and i launch my car very hard and no probs with the tranny so far lol i run Red Line shock proof tranny fluid and that works out great
#42 Old 06-18-2007, 07:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

ArmyWRX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ArmyWRX Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyWRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
i have a 03 wrx with exhaust and a upipe, intake and boost controller and i ran a 8.74 in the 1/8 mile i will run with a STI no prob i have beat two of them at the track and i launch my car very hard and no probs with the tranny so far lol i run Red Line shock proof tranny fluid and that works out great
how much boost are you running and what are your 60 foot times.... all i have is tbe and an intake and i ran 8.8 at 77mph.... with and up pipe and running more boost should be a lot faster....
#43 Old 06-19-2007, 07:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

MidniteTunez is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Exactly..You can have a 800hp Dominator day driver on the stock tranny last forever if you drive it like your Grandma.Part of it also is knowing how to launch an AWD car.I have seen a couple of tutorials floating around.One was by Ali Ashfar.
Or if your content on staying allwheel drive and going fast, you can pay 4k for a awd turbo Dsm. Make it a drag only car and spend another 4k and be making well over 400whp reliably and running in the low 11s high 10s...! all for approxitmately 8k....Thumbs Up

( Yes i do own a dsm also so maybe a bit biased. )
#44 Old 06-19-2007, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

MidniteTunez is an unknown
I think I am going straight to a front mount intercooler, I dont want to waist time or money going to the top mount. I want a rather large turbo to provide all the air flow I can get in once I do a stroker...
#45 Old 06-20-2007, 02:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteTunez View Post
Or if your content on staying allwheel drive and going fast, you can pay 4k for a awd turbo Dsm. Make it a drag only car and spend another 4k and be making well over 400whp reliably and running in the low 11s high 10s...! all for approxitmately 8k....Thumbs Up

( Yes i do own a dsm also so maybe a bit biased. )
lol, you said DSM and reliable in the same sentence :P