Subaru WRX Forum banner

VF22 on 06's stock internals?

27K views 68 replies 16 participants last post by  psinuse 
#1 ·
on the 06's (wrx) are the internals and all good for that and or a VF22?, and if so about how much HP if all your fuel and tune is done correctly.

#5 ·
so the internals on a 2.5 wrx arent good for 350ahwp??? i can get another turbo to make that power i just want the engine to hold that power.. im ready to buy i just dont want to do somethin that will cause a kaboom...still deciding on a turbo to make the 350 tho i can do the fuel and all that no biggie i need a turbo to make it

#6 ·
oh they're just arguing about the output of the VF22 which is not the biggest turbo people have used on a stock EJ20 or EJ25 by far.

Yes, the internals on the WRX can more than handle the VF22. Your tranny on the other hand, might not.

#7 ·
awesome thanx...as far as the tranny 350awhp yay or nay or if not what do i need to do besides the clutch....
hate to be a pain in the arse but what does everyone recommend for a solid 350awhp alil more is always good with out to much mods for the turbo (when i say that i mean as close to direct bolt in as possible like the VF's, ball bearing is prefered, i just want a good turbo at around 15-20psi make me the power i want close to 400 is also ok i just dont want to push any part of the car to blowing up, minor upgrades im cool with. im also aware of the stuff that is needed to do the turbo, as far as tbe, Fpump, injectors, tune, but ### else) thanks everyone i know it gets annoying asked the same questions i just dont get the exact answers i want when i search trust me i have been doin over a month of research...

#10 ·
Note: You never see true power numbers on a dyno because the Intercooler (especially a TMIC) is not running at the same efficiency as it would on the street. After a few pulls and some tuning, the intercooler is usually heat soaked. I don't care how many fans they put in front of it, it's not the same air flow as the street.

So, is 350 awhp on a stock 2.0 with VF22 possible? I think so, with race gas. But you might never see a dyno sheet.

#11 ·
06 wrx internals & heads

hey, ive been asking around, ive asked cobb, and havent had a clear answer. How much hp can my internals and heads and everything handle, safely. I was lookin at gettin a 20g, front mount, ill need a bigger pump and possibly injectors. I should be able to handle that with a nice tune right?

#15 ·
I am sure you may see better numbers with E85. I am debating whether or not to pick up a VF myself. My biggest stink is I don't want to upgrade my injectors so 16g/18g/20g are not an option for me. Was considering a VF48 and getting a rebuild + PnP + billet wheel by these guys - http://6starspeed.com/suwrihirhbic.html

Haven't seen numbers with this type of set up yet, though.

#16 ·
I am sure you may see better numbers with E85. I am debating whether or not to pick up a VF myself. My biggest stink is I don't want to upgrade my injectors so 16g/18g/20g are not an option for me. Was considering a VF48 and getting a rebuild + PnP + billet wheel by these guys - </title> </head> <body> <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-align: left;

Haven't seen numbers with this type of set up yet, though.

With no E, you should be good to go chica.... Add E and you might as well get bigger injectors.

#19 ·
Similar thing happened to me, thought it was my browser? But then I edited my post and re-pasted the link and it corrected itself? And I do not plan on running E85 just yet, wanting to avoid upgrading my injectors remember ;)

I wonder if Blouch is doing any mods to VFs yet...
I am surprised as well, maybe the larger vendors just think it's a waste of resources and R&D for such a small set up. Although, Blouch used to sell the TD04-19T. One consistent thing I do read on NABISCO is that most feel the VF's are useless on a 2.5L as an "upgrade" and the next step is to slap on an 18g/20g even for a daily driver.

Very few of us who like to throw money away pushing tiny snails to their limits. There is a reason why I had a "bastard 20g" (20g cartridge in 14b housing) for such a long time in my GSX. I am not looking for a highway monster, or high HP numbers. I would be happy to crack 300awhp.

#20 ·
That TD04 that Blouch rebuilds is a Mitsu turbo and not a VF turbo. VF turbo's suck period, they suck for these cars and any other car they put them on. Just step up to a nice 18g for a 2.0L and 20g for a 2.5L.

#22 ·

Hey mate, I just picked up a vf22 for next to nothing, so I grabbed it for my 2.5 ltr. The more I read, the more i think I might be upgrading later...

What turbo would you recommend for someone who wants to squeeze the most out of his stock internals?

I have supporting mods on the way, 3" tbe, fuel pump, bigger tmic...

But I can't afford forgies yet and want to t as much as I can until I consider a rebuild...

Hearing a lot of good things about Blouch Dominators...

#23 ·
Blouch are good turbos, but in the end if you don't the money for a rebuild yet, I'd highly recommend sticking with something on the smaller side until you get a build motor. 20g would be idea for getting a good amount of power out of the 2.5L. If your in a bind for cash and can get a VF22 for cheap that's fine, just don't expect much out of it

Reactions: my0six
#24 ·
Cheers mate. I'm hoping I won't be too disappointed in the build, as I'm going from stock to the vf22, with 3"tbe, bigger tmic and fuel pump... Surely I will notice a considerable difference from stock... But no doubt I'll get bored with any setup eventually.

So, do you mean a 20G on stock internals?

#28 ·
I personally run a TDO6, but my rev range is a lot higher than yours will be. I'd stick with a TDO5 20g. Blouch sells one as do several other companies. I don't in endorse one company over another as I kind of cheat when it comes to turbos...

p.s. I wish I lived in Australia for the record. Much better cars there.

#30 ·
Kind of cheat? That's intriguing...

Really? Aussie cars are better? Well that's good to know. You guys sure have a lot cheaper resources, so far as parts and quantity of tuners... I'm actually getting an Etune from a lad in the states, as I can't find anybody who does open source here.

#35 ·
Currently no mods, except I did the sec. air pump delete.

I have a VF22, TurboXS tbe, walbro fuel pump and 08-10 STI tmic. Sticking with stock intake at this stage

All these are waiting for me to get a basemap so I can do the build.

I'm also talking with a guy regarding a boost solenoid / controller... My tuner is yet to get back to me regarding whether I need this or not, he's pretty slack on the Emails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.