VF22 on 06's stock internals? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 10-08-2013, 01:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 10-08-2013, 01:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Doh....? wtf

anyhow: With no E, you should be good to go chica.... Add E and you might as well get bigger injectors.

Mods, can you remove the link above... kinda weird.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#18 Old 10-08-2013, 02:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I wonder if Blouch is doing any mods to VFs yet...

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#19 Old 10-08-2013, 02:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Doh....? wtf

anyhow: With no E, you should be good to go chica.... Add E and you might as well get bigger injectors.

Mods, can you remove the link above... kinda weird.
Similar thing happened to me, thought it was my browser? But then I edited my post and re-pasted the link and it corrected itself? And I do not plan on running E85 just yet, wanting to avoid upgrading my injectors remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
I wonder if Blouch is doing any mods to VFs yet...
I am surprised as well, maybe the larger vendors just think it's a waste of resources and R&D for such a small set up. Although, Blouch used to sell the TD04-19T. One consistent thing I do read on NABISCO is that most feel the VF's are useless on a 2.5L as an "upgrade" and the next step is to slap on an 18g/20g even for a daily driver.

Very few of us who like to throw money away pushing tiny snails to their limits. There is a reason why I had a "bastard 20g" (20g cartridge in 14b housing) for such a long time in my GSX. I am not looking for a highway monster, or high HP numbers. I would be happy to crack 300awhp.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#20 Old 10-08-2013, 02:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
That TD04 that Blouch rebuilds is a Mitsu turbo and not a VF turbo. VF turbo's suck period, they suck for these cars and any other car they put them on. Just step up to a nice 18g for a 2.0L and 20g for a 2.5L.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#21 Old 10-08-2013, 06:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
^ LOL see! Pretty sure with though that the TD04 upgrade was to the compressor wheel as it was ported/clipped and PnP job. Folks sent their TD04 in and got their turbo rebuilt back as the 19T. Pretty sure TD04 is MHI to begin with...

NASIOC - View Single Post - TD04 19T Upgrade Discussion

No 20g for me right now.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#22 Old 10-08-2013, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

my0six is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
That TD04 that Blouch rebuilds is a Mitsu turbo and not a VF turbo. VF turbo's suck period, they suck for these cars and any other car they put them on. Just step up to a nice 18g for a 2.0L and 20g for a 2.5L.
Hey mate, I just picked up a vf22 for next to nothing, so I grabbed it for my 2.5 ltr. The more I read, the more i think I might be upgrading later...

What turbo would you recommend for someone who wants to squeeze the most out of his stock internals?

I have supporting mods on the way, 3" tbe, fuel pump, bigger tmic...

But I can't afford forgies yet and want to t as much as I can until I consider a rebuild...

Hearing a lot of good things about Blouch Dominators...
#23 Old 10-09-2013, 05:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Blouch are good turbos, but in the end if you don't the money for a rebuild yet, I'd highly recommend sticking with something on the smaller side until you get a build motor. 20g would be idea for getting a good amount of power out of the 2.5L. If your in a bind for cash and can get a VF22 for cheap that's fine, just don't expect much out of it
my0six likes this.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#24 Old 10-09-2013, 05:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

my0six is an unknown
Quote:
Blouch are good turbos, but in the end if you don't the money for a rebuild yet, I'd highly recommend sticking with something on the smaller side until you get a build motor. 20g would be idea for getting a good amount of power out of the 2.5L. If your in a bind for cash and can get a VF22 for cheap that's fine, just don't expect much out of it
Cheers mate. I'm hoping I won't be too disappointed in the build, as I'm going from stock to the vf22, with 3"tbe, bigger tmic and fuel pump... Surely I will notice a considerable difference from stock... But no doubt I'll get bored with any setup eventually.

So, do you mean a 20G on stock internals?
#25 Old 10-09-2013, 11:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
A VF48 is the best turbo they've made so far in my opinion.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#26 Old 10-09-2013, 02:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my0six View Post
Cheers mate. I'm hoping I won't be too disappointed in the build, as I'm going from stock to the vf22, with 3"tbe, bigger tmic and fuel pump... Surely I will notice a considerable difference from stock... But no doubt I'll get bored with any setup eventually.

So, do you mean a 20G on stock internals?
Yes a 20g with stock internals. It goes without saying that even a lightly modded car can have issue, but I have seen many 20g powered 2.5L live for a decent amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic
A VF48 is the best turbo they've made so far in my opinion.
Don't you mean the VF52?

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#27 Old 10-09-2013, 06:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

my0six is an unknown
Quote:
Yes a 20g with stock internals. It goes without saying that even a lightly modded car can have issue, but I have seen many 20g powered 2.5L live for a decent amount of time.

Don't you mean the VF52?
So... Is that the Td05 20G???

Sorry, there are a lot of 20Gs coming up on my searches...
#28 Old 10-09-2013, 06:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

I personally run a TDO6, but my rev range is a lot higher than yours will be. I'd stick with a TDO5 20g. Blouch sells one as do several other companies. I don't in endorse one company over another as I kind of cheat when it comes to turbos...

p.s. I wish I lived in Australia for the record. Much better cars there.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#29 Old 10-09-2013, 06:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by my0six View Post
So... Is that the Td05 20G???

Sorry, there are a lot of 20Gs coming up on my searches...
Stay away from Godspeed 20g that's all ill say.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#30 Old 10-09-2013, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

my0six is an unknown
Quote:
I personally run a TDO6, but my rev range is a lot higher than yours will be. I'd stick with a TDO5 20g. Blouch sells one as do several other companies. I don't in endorse one company over another as I kind of cheat when it comes to turbos...

p.s. I wish I lived in Australia for the record. Much better cars there.
Kind of cheat? That's intriguing...

Really? Aussie cars are better? Well that's good to know. You guys sure have a lot cheaper resources, so far as parts and quantity of tuners... I'm actually getting an Etune from a lad in the states, as I can't find anybody who does open source here.