Subaru WRX Forum banner

Two grand how should i spend it?

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  wagonracer 
#1 ·
Heres what I am thinking

turboxs utec and up pipe
TBE not sure which one I am leaning towards borla hush.

I am looking for as much gains as possible with out a loud exhaust.

#2 ·
For well under $1000 I did the UP and DP, EM with cobb AP to get to stage two with stock exhaust (stealth !). 14.37 1/4 mile at 6500 ft. You don't need to spend 2K to go fast. both pipes were e-bay, both fit fine, just don't use the cheap gaskets that com with them. With the other $1000 you could do some big handling improvements too. See my post under "what have you spent on mods" Brand names don't make you go fast ;)

#3 ·
I have nothing wrong with spending a little more money for a quality piece that I know the company took their time to design. My Perrin uppipe, TBE, and UTEC combo costed me roughly 2 grand. I know ebay tuning works for many of you, but you'll never see those parts on my car for good reason.

Your list sounds good.

#6 ·
get the cobb AP2!!! you can order them now, it would probably be shipped next month, and of course, the other stuff, UP, DP, CB. and go to autozone and get a some neat-o stickers, they help too(joke).

oh yeah, scoobytuners has the AP2 already listed and able to sell.

#8 ·
ROBNAP said:
its seems like everyone is running a cobbAP. I definitily agree Vew you get what you pay for. There is a reason why the turbox UTEC is more money the the AP. My tranny aint going any time soon.
When I first join this forum, the UTEC was the favored. I have no idea why it shifted to the AP. I'm still a big fan of the UTEC. It can do so much. I suppose AP's ease of use is a big factor... and I think he was joking about the transmission comment :p

#9 ·
ROBNAP said:
Heres what I am thinking

turboxs utec and up pipe
TBE not sure which one I am leaning towards borla hush.

I am looking for as much gains as possible with out a loud exhaust.

If you have an 06 WRX you can sans the Up-pipe. Get a DP and EM. Should cost less then 1k. use the rest for whatever...maybe a bigger TMIC!Thumbs Up

#12 ·
Get a set of RA gears and have them installed. That'll run you around $15-1600. Then you can actually drive the car the way you'll want to once you have the power. Save a little more and get an AP. Then DP & CB.

Put it this way, would you rather:
a) Spend 2g's to go fast. The resulting power causes you to break a gear (and it will) and now you have no money to fix it. Or....
b) Beef up the tranny, and have no worries from that point on. You can drive hard, and whoop-up on other WRX guys that are scared to break the glass box.

#14 ·
Stage 2 is not enough power to be worring about breaking a gear unless you drive like an asshat... and if that's the case, you have better things to be worried about.

Also, they are correct that you do not need an uppipe for an 06 WRX.

#15 ·
seems like the way to go on the 06 is tbe and some EM. depending on how crazy you want to get will decide whether or not you need utec. or even hydra...oooo. but AP is probably your best bet plus its pretty nice with the street tuner software. although i imagine the new AP plus streetuner will be pretty close to 06 utec delta i just got mine for 814 new.
ps i just took out the stock turbo today for a new one. and lord have mercy the stock turbo is TINY. ghey.

#17 ·
As your budgeting your $$ don't forget that the one improvement that will have the most impact on the performance your car is tires, and added power with crappy tires is no fun. Good rubber improves braking, steering response, launch, pretty much improves life in general, I think. The factory potenzas are crap. Oh, and don't forget heat wrap if you do your DP ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.