Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L '04-07 STi and '06-07 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   TurboXS TBE, turbo creep...???? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/turboxs-tbe-turbo-creep-31353/)

05STISuby 09-19-2011 01:49 PM

TurboXS TBE, turbo creep...????

I previously posted a thread about whether or not to get a turbo back or catback exhaust. and even though the look is ricer im not too worried about it but I decided I'll go with the turboxs TBE. It sounds great and the reviews seem pretty positive towards it. My question is does anyone have any issues with turbo creep or spiking with this set up? i have a fully stock 05 STI at the moment, and i do plan to get it tuned with the cobb ap,and install an AEM CAI, probaby an hks bof, and of course the MAF needed to run the bof... but that will be a few months after i buy the exhaust. any input on all this? thank you.

turmic 09-19-2011 01:58 PM

First off...don't run that TBE without some sort of tune. Otherwise any WOT runs will have spike, fuel cuts, and probably put your car into limp mode. The BOV is completly unnecessary. Do the silencer delete and you can hear your BPV pretty easily.

05STISuby 09-19-2011 02:01 PM

slightly noob question but how do you do the silencer delete? and would the cobb ap fix all the turbo creep and spike?

pzr2874 09-19-2011 02:53 PM

[url]http://www.scoobymods.com/removing-intake-silencer-aka-snorkus-t2095.html?t=2095[/url] <-- This link leads to others

It should fix all the creep.... With a tune... not just the OTS map.

brfatal 09-19-2011 03:09 PM

Boost creep is a mechanical issue. That being said, I have no idea why you are driving in boost without a tune in the first place. And there is no separate "MAF needed to run a BOV".

turmic 09-19-2011 04:24 PM

A 3 port bcs with a professional tune eliminates pretty much all creep and spikes.

05STISuby 09-19-2011 05:46 PM

so would you recommend just getting a custom tune from a shop with no AP or get the AP and have the shop mess around with it a little...

05STISuby 09-19-2011 05:52 PM

also thank you for that link, it helps a lot!

05STISuby 09-19-2011 05:58 PM

brfatal,

im not driving on any upgraded turbo yet its just the stock STI turbo. and i wasnt too clear, i wasnt talking about a second MAF or anything I was just told i need to install a MAF once i put the intake on however in order to run a BOV without CEL, i think that person may have been mislead cause shouldnt there already be a MAF on the car in order for it to run properly?

newtothegame 09-19-2011 08:31 PM

If anything, you would need to run an air/speed density or blow thru setup to not worry about the ill effects of running a crappy BOV like the one you mentioned above. I ran stg 2 for some time with just an OTS map from the AP, the only time I had issues with boost is when it got really cold outside, other than that I was good to go.

turmic 09-19-2011 08:31 PM

Please cut and paste all your responces in one post....or the mods will clean up your multiple posts.

Its up to you if you want a AP with a protune or not. If you want to keep the AP and its functions then go ahead and get it. Some people will just by step it because they want to save money. Its up to the individual user. I like my AP and not having to carry a laptop around. Like I said personal preferences.

black beast2 09-19-2011 08:40 PM

^ yes that guy is an idiot, you already have a MAF. Maybe he was talking about getting a big MAF intake? Either way it has nothing to do with running a BOV, there isn't really any way to tune for or get away from the problems with running a BOV unless you go with a blow thru set up. That being said you can run a BOV with out throwing a cell, but nine times out of ten you are going to have bad afterfire issues, maybe some studdering and just an all around shitty felling car. If you really need the look at me sound go with a 50/50 hybrid BOV, it won't get rid of the problems but will reduce them enough to live with.

05STISuby 09-19-2011 11:52 PM

Yeah my bad about those 3 posts in a row.. i realized it after i posted it.

Anyway, yeah the BOV isnt a huge deal to me im not really out for turning heads I'm just trying to tune the car to exactly what I want and all that.
And yeah that guy may have been talking about a big MAF intake or somethin, I thought it was a little odd to hear that I needed to buy an MAF sensor. So with that said lets say I just threw on the AEM CAI, turboxs TBE, and the cobb AP stage 2 map without taking it to a shop to have them tune it all up with laptops and the fancy stuff since I am a poor college student who doesnt have an infinite budget, would that run alright with the car? Any chance of CEL that the AP wouldnt fix? Do you think I would run into very much creep or spiking without doing the 3port BCS?

Also, I really appreciate all the links and responses, they are really helping me learn more about doin all this, just wanted to say thanks to everyone.

black beast2 09-20-2011 02:15 AM

As long as you run the Cobb map with the AEM intake included in the map notes you will be fine. There is room for improvements over the OTS map Cobb provides if you get a pro tune because the Cobb maps are made generic to be safe for every car. The AP should take care of any CEL that comes up as well. Just make sure you stick to the Cobb map notes, you have to run exactly what is said there is no room to switch any of the parts that are mapped for.

As for the 3 port issue, I ran the stock solinoid with no problem on a stage 2 set up and with an AVO 380 turbo for a couple years. It wasn't till I got the 20g before I got a 3 port, so I think you'd be fine with the stock set up for awhile.

05STISuby 09-20-2011 11:14 AM

Awesome! Thats exactly what I needed to know. I have one more question and that should wrap it up for me.. So if I buy the Turboxs TBE, throw it on (ive read a few forums saying some guy's sti's ran fine on it), then got the AP,say, a month later, ran those maps, then a couple weeks later put the intake on once I get it in, I would have to "re-do" the AP maps to tune everything together correct? And I dont neccesarely have to take it to a shop for the car to run right on all that.. right?