Subaru WRX Forum banner

TurboXS FMIC

14K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
WRX/STi full front mount intercooler kit TURBOXS
this is link to craigslist listing for item

I was thinking about calling this guy and buying it. Before I did I wanted to know if This was a good deal. I looked online and found a few different turboxs FMIC kits for about 1000-1600.... Is this the same kit? Can you tell from pictures if its turboxs?

Basically want to know if:

its a good deal
How hard is it to fit in my 06 wrx
What Kind of gains am I looking at if I just installed this

I currently have:
Accessport stage 2
grimmspeed dp
kakumei cat-back
perrin crank pulley

#2 ·
Yes it's a good deal, but I would just flip it. An FMIC isn't really needed on a stock turbo WRX. If you plan on going big then sure, but for now you can probably make 50% on it minimum. Buy it for 550, sell it for 8-900, and buy a nice TMIC with some extra cash to boot. BTW it looks like the same kit JSCspeed sells for $1079.

http://www.jscspeed.com/wrx/intercoolers/turboxs_wrxfmic.htm

#3 ·
awesome man. Thanks for the info. I was totally set on getting a bigger turbo and doing that whole upgrade. but i have read that it can drastically reduce your reliability so now im kinda on the bubble about it. Even though I drive my car pretty soft.

#4 ·
Reliability all depends on a few things:
How much HP you're thinking of making.
How well you maintain and service your car.
Lastly and not the least, is how well your tune is. Also, tooling around and constantly slamming your car won't make it last either.

#6 ·
I Feel I maintain my car very well. I treat my car very well and hardly ever drive it hard and Im on the freeway about 75% of the time which I usually just cruise at 70-75ish.

I think Im going to go with the sti turbo, injectors, fuel pump, this FMIC and then get a tune. I Should have the money by next month to get it all. but I think im going to get the FMIC right now.

#13 ·
FMIC + TD04 = bad idea. With a VF39/43, it's maybe better than stock but far from cost effective. They're for larger turbos.

You 08+ WRX guys should be even less interested in FMIC's. The entire strength of your turbo layout is having the intercooler so tightly integrated between the turbo and the intake manifold. Very little lag inducing piping. Such a waste unless you're totally changing turbo layouts.

#14 ·
My friend uprated his evo with a nice bigga FMIC and wen he slammed it bak on the rolling road the tuners told him to remove it as it lost him horses.He did uprate his turbo first but they said it still needed 2 come off. I had an FMIC on my old scooby which had stock turb and it did sqat. Well appart from making a bigga hole in the inner wing, new bumper plus front skirt to mount it behind so it didnt gape out the bottom. I wont be taking that route again.

#16 ·
We're talking about WRX's not EVO's
1) The EVO has a larger turbo than a WRX from the factory
2) The EVO has a FMIC from the factory, not a TMIC
3) I can't believe I'm even explaining this it's so obvious.

#15 ·
A Perrin TMIC can be had if you check around and get lucky. The 02-07 wrx has less issues fitting TMICs than a 04-10 STI. The TurboXS TMIC supposedly doesn't fit a STI. Weird...but that's what JSCspeed claims. For a 02-07 wrx. I'd say get a Perrin TMIC (if you can find it, you'll need the STI Y-Pipe), a Turbos XS TMIC, APS TMIC, or a Spearco TMIC. A used Perrin might be easily had on Nasioc or classifieds. Just have to look around. I found mine new on OAKOS a couple months back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.