Turbo Upgrade...please help - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
You may want to consider a perrin turbo inlet. Kind of a might as well while you are in there kind of thing. Its not a must, but once the stocker is pulled on and off a couple of times it gets easier to fail/tear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
Kirt,

Talked with Mike at Blouch and he told me to get the Dom 2.5 XTR. Here's what I have so far:

Parts On Hand:
-Deatschwerks 300lph fuel pump
-Injector Dynamics 1000cc
-STI splitter and bellows
-Grimmspeed EBCS 3-port-

Parts on Order:
-Blouch Dom 2.5 XTR 8cm housing
-TurboXS TMIC

My tuner said at our altitude of 5000ft that with the 10cm housing I wouldn't have spool until 48-55k and with the 8cm housing I would have spool around 33-35k.

So if I baby the hell out of my new set-up do you think I could get more than ~6 months? I hope to god so lol or I'm going to be riding my bicycle for quite some time !Laugh!

The parts will be installed next Wednesday and the protune on Thursday.

I'll keep you guys updated and will post my dyno once I have it

Can't wait!
I'd agree with c2bcoolwrx. Its not necessary, but it does happen. The stock inlet sucks and does tear.

Yeah, I don't know. I know Josh did some pulls on his car after getting it rolling in 2nd and/or 3rd. So, that is what helped destroy his clutch and sped up his need to switch to a lower boost protune map. To stop destroying his clutch and I'm sure it helped stress his gears doing those pulls. So, its going to take a lot of restrain from wanting to feel the power to keep the trans safe. I don't know about you, but I can't hold off from wanting to put my foot in it when I get a chance. [I drive my work van on the days that I work now and my STI on my days off.] So, of course my restrain is poor on back roads that are flat and empty. That's only thing that I can say. Your mileage may vary (YMMV) of course. Its one reason why I traded up, but I'm sure a lot of WRX owners get satisfaction to make the WRX stronger and quicker with the trans upgrades and power adders.

Josh's profile for those of you that don't know who I am talking about: NewToTheGame

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#48 Old 05-24-2011, 08:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

Another thing to think about is your oil pickup tube. Stock pickups have been failing and causing oil starvation. Getting a KillerB Oil Pickup is a good idea.

Oil Pickup Story - Subaru Oil Pickup Failure

I know I keep adding things on to your list...but, better safe than sorry.
#49 Old 05-24-2011, 08:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
10 cm hotsides are atrocious when it comes to spool up.
#50 Old 05-24-2011, 09:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
It really needs pistons, rings, and a trans upgrade to be safely enjoyed though. I hate to be captain negative, but its true.

Kirt
#51 Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful

Don't worry though, a built short block and trans will only run you 8-10k

-Chris
#52 Old 05-25-2011, 06:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

With out labor...you forgot that part Chris.

Kirt
#53 Old 05-25-2011, 08:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I count labor for the trans build (no way I'm gutting my transmission) but I'm enough of a badass that's all the labor I need. Nevermind the fact I'm dropping about 11k in the long block, turbo, clutch alone with the only labor being the machine work on the block.

-Chris
#54 Old 05-26-2011, 02:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2bcoolwrx View Post
You may want to consider a perrin turbo inlet. Kind of a might as well while you are in there kind of thing. Its not a must, but once the stocker is pulled on and off a couple of times it gets easier to fail/tear.
I was initially going to buy a BPT turbo inlet but Mike at Blouch told me that the Dom 2.5 XTR comes with both an inlet and outlet and therefore didn't need to buy one? Is this something Blouch hasn't always included with their turbos in the past?

Quote:
Another thing to think about is your oil pickup tube. Stock pickups have been failing and causing oil starvation. Getting a KillerB Oil Pickup is a good idea.

Oil Pickup Story - Subaru Oil Pickup Failure

I know I keep adding things on to your list...but, better safe than sorry.
How often does this occur? Obviously I would much rather be safe than sorry but at the same time that's another $250.

Thank you for making me aware of that though!

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
#55 Old 05-26-2011, 04:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
I was initially going to buy a BPT turbo inlet but Mike at Blouch told me that the Dom 2.5 XTR comes with both an inlet and outlet and therefore didn't need to buy one? Is this something Blouch hasn't always included with their turbos in the past?

How often does this occur? Obviously I would much rather be safe than sorry but at the same time that's another $250.

Thank you for making me aware of that though!
I think Mike meant to say that both the turbo inlet and outlet are ported. Turbo Inlet is a rubber tube. So, I would double check that.

As for the pickup tube, it happens there have been a bunch of reports of the stock tube cracking. When I did my most recent tune I had KillerB Pickup put in for peace of mind. Read these threads:

Broken OEM Oil pickup... Pictures - NASIOC
Broken OEM Oil Pickups... Pictures - NASIOC

Granted both of those threads were started by KillerB, but many others have replaced their pickups only to find out it was just in time. Also, the KillerB pickup is really a nice piece w/quality welds and is WAY more durable than the stocker. $250 is not a lot to pay when you think of how much a new block/install would cost if their was a failure.
#56 Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Quote:
I think Mike meant to say that both the turbo inlet and outlet are ported. Turbo Inlet is a rubber tube. So, I would double check that.

As for the pickup tube, it happens there have been a bunch of reports of the stock tube cracking. When I did my most recent tune I had KillerB Pickup put in for peace of mind. Read these threads:

Broken OEM Oil pickup... Pictures - NASIOC
Broken OEM Oil Pickups... Pictures - NASIOC

Granted both of those threads were started by KillerB, but many others have replaced their pickups only to find out it was just in time. Also, the KillerB pickup is really a nice piece w/quality welds and is WAY more durable than the stocker. $250 is not a lot to pay when you think of how much a new block/install would cost if their was a failure.
Thanks for that I appreciate it!

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
#57 Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
I'd agree with c2bcoolwrx. Its not necessary, but it does happen. The stock inlet sucks and does tear.

Yeah, I don't know. I know Josh did some pulls on his car after getting it rolling in 2nd and/or 3rd. So, that is what helped destroy his clutch and sped up his need to switch to a lower boost protune map. To stop destroying his clutch and I'm sure it helped stress his gears doing those pulls. So, its going to take a lot of restrain from wanting to feel the power to keep the trans safe. I don't know about you, but I can't hold off from wanting to put my foot in it when I get a chance. [I drive my work van on the days that I work now and my STI on my days off.] So, of course my restrain is poor on back roads that are flat and empty. That's only thing that I can say. Your mileage may vary (YMMV) of course. Its one reason why I traded up, but I'm sure a lot of WRX owners get satisfaction to make the WRX stronger and quicker with the trans upgrades and power adders.

Josh's profile for those of you that don't know who I am talking about: NewToTheGame
Haha, I hear ya on that...it will be very hard! I'm honestly just going to have my tuner do a fairly conservative tune until I can afford a trans upgrade.

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
#58 Old 05-27-2011, 12:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Other than the obvious (e.g. upgrading my transmission and block work), is there anything else I should purchase (i.e. Cobb BPV, Group N engine and transmission mounts, Cobb post-MAF hose, TGV deletes, TurboXS oil catch can etc....). Also, should I get a new turbo inlet/outlet gasket?

Again this is what I have so far: (holding off on the EWG for right now).

-Blouch Dom 2.5 XTR 8cm housing
-Deatschwerks 300lph fuel pump
-Injector Dynamics 1000cc
-STI splitter and bellows
-Grimmspeed EBCS 3-port
-TurboXS TMIC

Parts considering:
-Perrin turbo inlet
-Killer B oil pickup tube

I just want this setup done right, as best as possible, while I have everything apart.

Thanks guys!!

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
#59 Old 05-27-2011, 09:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

What I would do to support the turbo:

Inlet
Intake (you're getting tuned anyways and you'll probably max out the stock MAF with a 49 lb/min turbo)
3-port ebcs (not sure if you already have that or not)
Group N Engine and Trans Mounts (stock mounts will really flex under the increased TQ load)
Some sort of header/ported stock exhaust manifold

-Chris
#60 Old 05-27-2011, 01:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
What I would do to support the turbo:

Inlet
Intake (you're getting tuned anyways and you'll probably max out the stock MAF with a 49 lb/min turbo)
3-port ebcs (not sure if you already have that or not)
Group N Engine and Trans Mounts (stock mounts will really flex under the increased TQ load)
Some sort of header/ported stock exhaust manifold
I have an SPT intake and grimmspeed 3-port ebcs.

I just purchased:
-Perrin Inlet
-Group N Engine/Trans mounts

-Ill look into the grimmspeed pnp headers/manifold

Thanks!

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq