Subaru WRX Forum banner

Turbo Upgrade...please help

41K views 84 replies 8 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
I have an 06' wrx with supporting mods: cobb stage 2 and spt intake. I'm in the process of upgrading my turbo and after extensive research this is what I have so far and need some experienced help...Just would like to get the most out of my setup.

I'm looking to get around 325-350 whp if possible?

Future Mod List:
-Forced Performance 68HTA turbo
-Forced Performance AVCS oil supply line
-TurboXS TMIC
-Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS
-Walbro 255 lph
-Grimmspeed 38mm ewg up pipe kit
-DW 750cc injectors
-E85 Tune

Questions:
1. Do i go with the 7 or 8cm turbine housing and do I stick with the stock (8psi) actuator or upgrade to the high pressure (14psi) actuator?

2. Should I get the turbo ported? What is the benefit?

3. Is it worth converting to an EWG with this turbo setup?

4. Will this setup destroy my stock tranny?

5. How does this setup look...anything I'm missing or should add?

Comments will be greatly appreciated and thank you to everyone in advance for your input!!

See less See more
#58 ·
Other than the obvious (e.g. upgrading my transmission and block work), is there anything else I should purchase (i.e. Cobb BPV, Group N engine and transmission mounts, Cobb post-MAF hose, TGV deletes, TurboXS oil catch can etc....). Also, should I get a new turbo inlet/outlet gasket?

Again this is what I have so far: (holding off on the EWG for right now).

-Blouch Dom 2.5 XTR 8cm housing
-Deatschwerks 300lph fuel pump
-Injector Dynamics 1000cc
-STI splitter and bellows
-Grimmspeed EBCS 3-port
-TurboXS TMIC

Parts considering:
-Perrin turbo inlet
-Killer B oil pickup tube

I just want this setup done right, as best as possible, while I have everything apart.

Thanks guys!!

#59 ·
What I would do to support the turbo:

Inlet
Intake (you're getting tuned anyways and you'll probably max out the stock MAF with a 49 lb/min turbo)
3-port ebcs (not sure if you already have that or not)
Group N Engine and Trans Mounts (stock mounts will really flex under the increased TQ load)
Some sort of header/ported stock exhaust manifold

#61 ·
Get all new gaskets for the DP and UP. Again, buy yourself a big bucket of restrain lol. The 02-07 5 sp gears hate a lot of horse/torque with abuse. The TGVs; check with your tuner. Some like to take them off with a 20G or bigger turbo. My tuner left them on because it helps keep the car a little more winter friendly and he knows how to work around them with a bigger turbo.

#62 ·
Update!

I got everything installed on Wednesday and had it tuned as well. Pushed 367 whp at 20 psi with an awesome power curve. I'll post my dyno charts soon.

On a side note...had my DW300 fuel pump crap out on me on my way home from my tuner last night. I just thank god that I was only doing 35 mph and not in boost when that happened. So I switched to a Walbro 250 today and it works like a charm!

Thanks again for all the help guys!

#63 ·
What kind of fuel? Sorry to hear about the fuel pump crapping out. I wonder why DW is having some issues lately. I saw that your profile said it was a dyno dynamics. That'd probably explain why its a little higher than me. My dyno is on a mustang dyno, so its a little lower reading than most.

#66 ·
Kirt, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I've been on family vacation for awhile and didn't have internet access.

I'm running E85 which is my tuners cup of tea. He really knows his stuff when it comes to tuning with it.

Ya my guess would be E85 and like you said "My dyno is on a mustang dyno, so its a little lower reading than most." We did a pull at 21 psi and it pushed 385 whp. He said he could have gotten 400 with a FMIC.

Also, sorry I haven't posted my charts yet. I need to run by the shop and upload them on my flash drive as well as some videos my tuner took while doing some pulls. Anyways I should have them up by the end of the week if not sooner. I have the hard copies just not the electronic ones unfortunately and my tuner is not the quickest when it comes to email.

#65 ·
Congrats on the build and doing a little homework. If I were you I would HIGHLY recommend that you start saving for that transmission yesterday.I ran almost 20K miles with my 20G enjoyed every minute of it on the stock clutch. But even under normal driving conditions it will start to wear out faster than under normal power levels. Like mentioned several times before Im the guy that upgraded the tranny and clutch/flywheel while deployed. When I got home I saw my stock gearset. It was on the way out the door for sure. Now with the gears and clutch I have a 4400 launch is a huge kick in the pants. Just remember that when the gears are upgraded your axles and possibly your drive shaft are the next weak link.

#67 ·
Thanks Josh, I appreciate it! Lol, ya I have quite the laundry list of parts I'm saving for right now (i.e. STI brake kit w/ rims to fit the brembo's, new shortblock, STI full transmission swap).

I talked with a bunch of very reputable subi tuners as well as mine and they said as long as I don't do any launches, make sure that I'm completely in gear before getting on the throttle, and not jamming gears, etc, it should last me awhile. Its good to hear you were able to get 20K before having to do tranny work. Makes me feel a little more at ease.

Ya, I can't wait till I can fully enjoy my turbo! Hopefully sooner than later!!

#74 ·
My car will put down more power than this when it comes back from having the head work, cams, and the engine put back together again. :mad: But, this is what it put down in 3-14-2011

You are also at a higher elevation, higher octane of fuel, and from the looks of it; using a different dyno also. My chart is from a mustang dyno.

#80 ·
I can imagine that's quite frustrating with your engine but hopefully this will be the last time? Question for ya...how much whp could we get out of our turbo with the right supporting mods? Also, whats your opinion on PnP the turbo?

#75 ·
Kirt I hate to tell you this, but your turbo should have been pulling harder than that all the way to redline and not dropping off at 5500. Granted it's slight, but something else was not right there. Not saying that the people who tuned your car are bad, just something mechanical wasn't right.

#83 ·
Not entirely sure. I guess I'll find out how much whp on a mustang dyno on pump after I get my car back. I might even go FMIC to see if it will open up the top end some. I'm hoping to be 375 or as close to 400whp on pump. That'd be stupid nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.