Which Turbo Inlet Hose - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-20-2008, 11:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Which Turbo Inlet Hose

Hey people,

Got a question... Which one would/did you go with ? $350 is steep as he\\ .
Would a Samco be the way or a Perrin ? I do know it isn't a necessity right now, but every little bit helps. Easy to do myself ? Any fitment issues when you did this yourself ? Thanks as always.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-20-2008, 11:55 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
powerless part...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 03-20-2008, 12:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

darthsofearu is an unknown
very easy!!! i dont think it matters what brand really as long as its 3 ply. the ebay ones are the same material withjout the name. thats what i got. no problems. oh and only $70
#4 Old 03-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
powerless part...
I would have thought so too, but from a dyno test in an older issue of SubieSport shows a not huge, but noticeable gain. I'll see if I can find it and scan it in.

Whatever you decide, don't get the APS. Although having a hard inlet hose is great, it's a F***ing nightmare to install. And I'm being nice when I say f***ing nightmare.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#5 Old 03-20-2008, 08:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

hi-power WRX is an unknown
i heard its a pain in the azz...taking the factory off, but i have a perrin inlet hose which i havent put..
#6 Old 03-20-2008, 09:01 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have the perrin one and it fit perfect. It wasn't too bad to put it in, but I ended up just breaking my stock one to get it out, I mean F-it you wont use it again. I think i can do it faster taking the manifold off though. its a little more work but it make the install of the inlet tube hella easy.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#7 Old 03-20-2008, 10:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxman420 is more helpful than not
I've got the perrin hose as well, fairly simple install. They have got a write up on it on scoobymods. This one's for a samco hose, but its the same thing...

Samco turbo inlet pipe install - ScoobyMods
#8 Old 03-21-2008, 05:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'm not really looking for gains at this point, but in the near future. Thanks for the replies, will look into both. Nice if I could find one used.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 03-21-2008, 09:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Black05WRX is an unknown
Have you looked at BPM, boostbuddy has it for a good price, and it works just as good as the others.
#10 Old 03-21-2008, 10:11 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
gimmik makes one as well Gimmick Motorsports - Gimmick Motorsports 2.4" Turbo Inlet (Powered by CubeCart) My tuner Dom is a dealer for them and they seem to be a very good product and a little cheaper than Perrin

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#11 Old 03-27-2008, 12:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

hollingst is an unknown
This sort of depends on which inlet kit your talking about. Perrin used to make a 3" inlet which was a lot of modification when compared to the 2 1/4 " of your stock sizing. They have since discontinued the 3" line so if thats what you were looking for then your out of luck there.
#12 Old 03-27-2008, 04:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
I am rocking an Ebay one.

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#13 Old 05-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
... this needs to be shared. APS Inlet Hose has been a nightmare to begin with. Not only was it horrible to install, it barely fits. Yes, we did get it to fit. Unfortunately, it rubs against one of the coolant lines. Well, after hitting a large enough pot hole, it whacked against it and leaked coolant over one of my pulleys which rusted and now squeaks (which is how I found out about the leak). Now I have a stupid leak to fix and maybe an inlet hose to replace.

On top of that, it also rubs against my intake manifold. Remember our intake manifold is metal. I suspect in a few months or so, I should also have to worry about a hole in the inlet hose. Before I ditch it completely, I will seek professional advice from my mechanic friend.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#14 Old 05-23-2008, 08:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

suddenthomas is more helpful than not
Even if they are a powerless part they still look good. I have the Perrin one and only paid 180 new. I got lucky on install though I had turbo out and it made it even easier.
#15 Old 05-23-2008, 09:01 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
APS all the way.PITA to install,yes but the fact it comes with a MAF hose and a 3" coupling as well for upgraded turbos is nice.The Perrin is barely almost smaller than stock at the point right behind where the recirculation tube comes in.Plus they have colapsed on higher powered cars.There is a pretty good amount of info on installing the APS (or any hard inlet) on NASIOC.The trick is to disconect the top power steering line and rotate the pipe-turbo inlet coupling untill it seats right.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!