Turbo-back, or cat-back? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-14-2011, 02:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is a helpful contributing member
I had K&N Typhoon on my car and ended up going back to stock. The main reason is because the turbulence in the intake ruined my MAF sensor and I didnt feel like buying another one. I kept getting CEL with it also after AP install.
AP + K&N = CEL

+1 on sticking with stock box unless tuned for it.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-14-2011, 05:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
I never said I think all forced induction cars are the same, I was just saying I've seen intakes make the car run shitty on more then one. On every N/A car I've seen with CAI's "mostly muscle cars" they've been fine that's all I ment. As far as the lean condition, I realize all the intakes leaned the car out a little I was talking about the one making a dangerously lean condition without a tune hurting the performance of the car.... All I'm saying is that I wouldn't run any intake without a tune, if you think its fine then that's your choice and good luck with that.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#18 Old 08-14-2011, 06:52 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllExtinct View Post
The main reason is because the turbulence in the intake ruined my MAF sensor and I didnt feel like buying another one.
Turbulence will not ruin your MAF sensor. It's the blind leading the frigg'n blind.............

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#19 Old 08-14-2011, 07:06 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast2 View Post
Even the testing in your link shows evidence of this, out of the two CAI's tested only one didn't make the car run lean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast2 View Post
As far as the lean condition, I realize all the intakes leaned the car out a little I was talking about the one making a dangerously lean condition without a tune hurting the performance of the car.... All I'm saying is that I wouldn't run any intake without a tune, if you think its fine then that's your choice and good luck with that.
There were three intakes. All ran lean. What you posted and what you "were talking about" are obviously two different things. You seem pretty confused. And what I said was there is nothing wrong with running an intake as long as you verify the openloop AFR. It's not frigg'n rocket science to figure out if there is a problem or not.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#20 Old 08-14-2011, 07:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is a helpful contributing member
No turbulence doesnt ruin a MAF sensor my bad. But if does affect it. I know the intake didnt help it.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
#21 Old 08-14-2011, 11:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
There were three intakes. All ran lean. What you posted and what you "were talking about" are obviously two different things. You seem pretty confused. And what I said was there is nothing wrong with running an intake as long as you verify the openloop AFR. It's not frigg'n rocket science to figure out if there is a problem or not.
No confusion, there were two CAI's teasted one made the car run lean. AFR's being leaned out by .3 isn't "running lean" in my book. Point being is I wouldn't run a CAI without a tune.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!

Last edited by black beast2; 08-15-2011 at 12:53 AM.
#22 Old 08-22-2011, 06:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I think the confusion is that black beast isn't talking about the link to the 3 intakes that were tested. He was talking about a test he witnessed in person.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae