Tumbler delete question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-04-2008, 02:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

hollingst is an unknown
Tumbler delete question

Ok here we go. I purchased an FP green model turbo with 8 cm housing and 3 in inlet. While installing the system along with some other modifications I have run into the problem of the turbo fitting with the stock tumbler valves in place. I contacted FP and they said that with this particular turbo I needed to run tumbler deletes so it would not hit the solenoids. The real question that I have here is has anyone done this successfully? I see that APS makes a kit however they emphasize that the Solenoids must be still attached to prevent CEL issues. I have also seen threads where people have simply pulled the factory tumblers out and modified them. The real question here is how do you get around the CEL? I currently run a turbo xs uteck and they do not support this mod?? Any help would be appreciated.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2008, 03:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

hollingst is an unknown
Never mind..... I have decided to return the turbo to the 2 1/4 inch inlet and alleviate the headache of the problem all together. From what I can tell performing the tumbler delete is really quite a intensive job if you are removing the solenoids since few EM systems support it.
+1 to Cobb for having this capability however at this time i am not looking to change my EM system from the Turbo XS.
#3 Old 04-07-2008, 08:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

Boostbuddy is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Boostbuddy Send a message via Yahoo to Boostbuddy
Why would you need to change from the UTEC?
#4 Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostbuddy View Post
Why would you need to change from the UTEC?
With the Utec your stuck having to use the $350 APS TGV units in order to keep the DTC/CEL's in check.Some of the DTC's can put your car into limp mode if it thinks your TGV's are closed.With Cobb's Street/Pro Tuner software or RomRaider (aka Enginuity) you can do the DIY TGV delete method saving big bucks and just turn off/disable the DTC's using the software when you retune.There is like 12 DTC's associated with the TGV's I think.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#5 Old 04-07-2008, 10:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

hollingst is an unknown
+1 for dumdum ...... I will likely eventually switch to a Cobb set up however I have a few more stages before its necessary to install the Tumbler Delete Kit and yes it is like 12 DTC's you have to deal with. Most kits alleviate this by installing dummy valves so the solenoids for the tumblers think they are still there however, in my particular case it was the solenoids that were in the way of the 3 inch inlet to the turbo So for this install you would have had to eliminate the valves and solenoids all together and then program the ECU around the CEL faults associated with it.