Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L '04-07 STi and '06-07 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   Tomei M7760 Single Scroll Turbo Performance vs. Cost vs. Reliability (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/tomei-m7760-single-scroll-turbo-performance-vs-cost-vs-reliability-28429/)

mlemjs 03-24-2010 01:48 PM

Tomei M7760 Single Scroll Turbo Performance vs. Cost vs. Reliability

Tomei M7760 (400HP+)

I'm hoping for:
- Reliability
- Efficiency
- 100% bolt on as I have already upgraded exhaust parts
- As close to stock spool up as possible
- Good build quality
- Decent increase in HP & TQ with minimal to no tune on stock parts but capable of large increases with proper associated parts and tuning.

I'm actually also considering:
Blouch DOM 2.5XT-R (490HP)
Blouch DOM 2.0XT-R (550HP)
Full Race GT35R Kit (500HP+)

Can anyone offer any advice or experiences with any of the turbos I've listed or others with the qualities I'm hoping for?

Thanks in advance.

turmic 03-24-2010 09:33 PM

Give me a couple weeks and I'll be running the Dom 2.5XTR on my car. It should be able to put me somewhere in the 350-375 whp range. The polka pickle is pretty much going to be the highest HP single scroll turbo that is going to spool like a VF39. If you can deal with more lag, than you can go slightly larger. My tuner has a sales partnership with Blouch and together they started up the billet wheel compressor for better spool (originally for EVOs and now the WRX turbos are getting the treatment). Blouch's actual Headquarters is only a little over a hour from my house. One of these days. I'll stop being lazy and pay them a visit with the camera.

Sorry that I don't know anything about the Tomei M7760.

Edit: Blouch rates their turbos at the crank horsepower, btw.

mlemjs 03-27-2010 09:13 AM

Kewl, thanks for the response.
So Blouch are reliable then.
What made you decide to stick with the 2.5 as opposed to the 2.0?
Only about $100 difference for est. 60BHP?
Does it spool faster?
Both are drop ins right?

Thanks

turmic 03-29-2010 07:48 PM

They pretty much bolt right up. My tuner knows how to install it and not have the TGVs be a issue. Yes, I'm keeping the TGVs. It'll allow my built engine to run better on cold starts and it really only robbing a few ponies on the top end. Not that big of a concern to me.

Blouch has one of the highest reputations in the turbo business. I've heard of them replacing a turbo for free and re-embursing the owner for the lost time. If the turbo somehow is a lemon. That's the kind of customer satisfaction I like to hear. Plus, I've seen the owner's STI in person(Mike Blouch's 06/07 STI). He's running a Dom 3.0 currently, but he's probably going to run a something with quicker responce/spool...soon. Probably a 2.5XTR. He's not quite sure yet. He wants quicker spool time though.

I picked the 2.5XTR over the Dom 2.0. Because I want a more responsive high HP turbo for daily driving. It should spool quickly enough and give me the numbers I want. My tuner is still working on getting a in-house fabricator so they can make twin scrool up-pipes and new DPs/modify the stock DP to fit a twin scroll turbo. Once they can make that stuff in house. They're going to finish the STI BBK turbo project. Basically a Dom 3.0 twin scroll. Should spool insanely fast for a Dom 3.0. Its still in the dream state and I can't wait any longer. LOL. So, I'm getting the 2.5XTR.

[IMG]http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/128/l_53b278fb242d4e2fb5fec0a343f3ac50.jpg[/IMG]
That's Mike Blouch's STI btw...I didn't want to snap too many photos and get caught. LOL. The picture back drop is my tuner's shop.

mlemjs 03-30-2010 10:50 AM

[quote=turmic;242684]They pretty much bolt right up. My tuner knows how to install it and not have the TGVs be a issue. Yes, I'm keeping the TGVs. It'll allow my built engine to run better on cold starts and it really only robbing a few ponies on the top end. Not that big of a concern to me.

Blouch has one of the highest reputations in the turbo business. I've heard of them replacing a turbo for free and re-embursing the owner for the lost time. If the turbo somehow is a lemon. That's the kind of customer satisfaction I like to hear. Plus, I've seen the owner's STI in person(Mike Blouch's 06/07 STI). He's running a Dom 3.0 currently, but he's probably going to run a something with quicker responce/spool...soon. Probably a 2.5XTR. He's not quite sure yet. He wants quicker spool time though.

I picked the 2.5XTR over the Dom 2.0. Because I want a more responsive high HP turbo for daily driving. It should spool quickly enough and give me the numbers I want. My tuner is still working on getting a in-house fabricator so they can make twin scrool up-pipes and new DPs/modify the stock DP to fit a twin scroll turbo. Once they can make that stuff in house. They're going to finish the STI BBK turbo project. Basically a Dom 3.0 twin scroll. Should spool insanely fast for a Dom 3.0. Its still in the dream state and I can't wait any longer. LOL. So, I'm getting the 2.5XTR.

[IMG]http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/128/l_53b278fb242d4e2fb5fec0a343f3ac50.jpg[/IMG]
That's Mike Blouch's STI btw...I didn't want to snap too many photos and get caught. LOL. The picture back drop is my tuner's shop.[/quote]

The reasons you gave for the 2.5XTR are all good ones as I also value these qualities. I appreciate your input and will definitely consider doing the same. So in your opinion though this would be a better bang for the buck turbo and in regards to reliability than the Tomei M7760?

clipsy 03-30-2010 05:30 PM

I go to school In pa and i have visited Blouch facility, it seems like a clean place and they know what they are doing there....

turmic 03-30-2010 09:36 PM

[quote=mlemjs;242743]The reasons you gave for the 2.5XTR are all good ones as I also value these qualities. I appreciate your input and will definitely consider doing the same. So in your opinion though this would be a better bang for the buck turbo and in regards to reliability than the Tomei M7760?[/quote]

I wish that I knew more about the Tomei M7760. From what I read searching around on nasioc. It seems the Tomei M7760 runs a lot like a td05-20g 8cm blouch turbo. So, yeah. It'll spool quick and all. But, most of the cars came out around 33x wtq and 32x whp. I hope to be within the 350-370 whp range and I hope close to 34x wtq range. So, I'm thinking the 2.5XTR shound have better numbers and maybe spool slightly slower than the Tomei. But, it should spool simular to a VF39 still or close enough to it that I shouldn't be hating the spool of my car. I can't say how reliable the Tomei is though. It seems that folks over at DS1 motorsports deal with this turbo a lot more and could fill you in on some more.

RcrsWetDream 03-31-2010 09:04 AM

From all the guys that have been there and done it, go with the bigger turbo. Yeah you'll see a bit more lag, but when the power doesn't stop, you'll be happy.

turmic 03-31-2010 09:17 PM

Chris, I hope your saying go towards a 2.5XTR over a M7760. I think the 2.5XTR is a big as i'm going, unless my tuner's BBK project sees the day of light. I want some bottom end and mid power out of my turbo still. All high mid and high end isn't fun for a daily driver. I don't know how bad the Dom 2.0 spools. But, I'm going to stick with my decision for now.

RcrsWetDream 04-01-2010 08:27 AM

Yeah I meant go for the 2.5

Anyways I was referring to my boss... He used to drag is old VW Bug and he had it turbo'd. The biggest mistake he said he made was buying the smallest turbo that fit what he wanted. He fixed that when he bought a slightly larger turbo than he needed and said it felt way better. For a dd/track car though, you want as much under the tq curve as possible. Drag cars, as long as the lines keep going up you don't care.

I'm willing to sacrifice some low end to make more power up high anyways. The way I see it, after stage II you can realistically see 3k spool time on the VF52 (not sure on the 48), from the stock 4k. Using simple reasoning which may be flawed, I can buy a bigger turbo and still see stock like spool times. How big I have no idea, but I gotta say you can get stock spool out of a 2.5xtr, probably not a dom 3.0 though.

If you ever want to see 500+whp, you have to accept spooling at 5k or so, but my god it's going to pull hard when it does.

mlemjs 04-09-2010 11:15 PM

What about the ATP GT3076R? I received this advice from a company that builds rally cars.

mosc 04-09-2010 11:48 PM

It's a superb turbo but you'll need a rotated kit. The appeal of the 2.5 is that it's a very similar turbo to the GT30R but with the standard Subaru layout, cheaper, and slightly faster spooling. To be fair, the 30R handles an amazing amount of boost so if you're a race gas + built motor kind of guy, they're not that close in terms of max numbers.