TMIC + tune - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-17-2009, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
TMIC + tune

I thought I had read about this awhile ago, but can't seem to find my answer on any of the forums. My question is, do you need a tune after installing a larger TMIC? Sorry if this has been answered before, I will gladly be guided in the appropriate direction if necessary. Thanks.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2009, 03:21 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
To really get the full effect and most out of a larger IC you would need a tune. But it usually isnt bad to drive around the car with it installed. Turmic did with his STI for awhile.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 12-17-2009, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
From everything I've read, it really seems to be a case-by-case thing as to whether or not you'll experience any problems. I'd say install the aftermarket tmic, reset your ecu, and pay very close attention to how your car runs. If you notice anything unusual or throw any check engine lights, put the stock unit back on and reset the ecu again. All you're really doing is creating a different situation for your ecu where the intake temperatures are lower than it might expect and the boost might be a little lower than it would expect due to the pressure drop as the air passes through the larger unit, but your ecu might learn to accomodate it on its own.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#4 Old 12-17-2009, 10:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
You can get away with it. But, there definatly is a good chance to throw a CEL. I did. The bigger TMIC really changes your boost properties. IE: more airflow, cooler charge, different boost pressure drop across the IC, and your ECU may have to try to adjust to it. My car was consistantly pulling 22.5 psi on a 20 psi protuned map. But, I still got the CEL. My tuner said it would be just a couple adjustments that wouldn't take much to fix. So, I went back and got retuned with the Walboro installed. Oh yeah, also changed my bcs....just because I was going back for a tune.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#5 Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Kirt, thanks for lending your first hand experience with that one. I bet at warmer temps (i.e summer time) the effect wouldnt have yielded the CEL, but is it really that bad for the car? Maybe, maybe not. Best thing, like mentioned before is to get the tune, or save up, get more supporting mods and put everything one and get the tune.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 12-17-2009, 11:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Not sure if it's a matter of the outside air temps. Chad (my tuner) said I got the CEL because my car spiked over the boost thresholds. Manly because I changed the set-up and the boost properties were altered from the original tune.

Bad? Not really, my car might've lost a little on the numbers side. But, I still think I got a increased throttle responce until I got the retune.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#7 Old 12-17-2009, 11:09 PM

That does make sense, but I also know that when its colder outside, the air is denser (more air; sometimes not always), idk how much that comes into play. I know I only experienced CELS when stage 2 when it was winter time, not in the summer months.

On the higher boost numbers though, I have been getting almost 2PSI more since it has been so dang cold here, but the car hasnt thrown a CEL or anything. Might have to check into it tho.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"