TMIC or FMIC - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 07-28-2006, 05:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
You could, but I wouldn't. I would use a bigger tmic. You could use the STi one, but there are better cores out there. Personally, I'd go with something like the Perrin, Helix, or the Cobbtuning tmic (If they ever get it into production).

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 07-28-2006, 05:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

605wrx is an unknown
thanks for the feedback, the reason i was thinking the sti tmic is because they're cheap. have you guys heard anything about ebay tmics? they probably suck but they're pretty cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GODSP...spagenameZWDVW

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-06...spagenameZWDVW
#18 Old 07-29-2006, 03:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

605wrx is an unknown
anyone?
#19 Old 07-29-2006, 06:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
You could go with either one since the ads are pretty much identical. I'd go with the Godspeed out of the two. It was cheaper.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#20 Old 07-30-2006, 05:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

EJ Rex is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via Yahoo to EJ Rex
I've got an Ebay tmic, although I had inside info that this one was a Perrin knock-off. Exact dimensions and capacity, and bolted on with no extra modification. Came with a hard y-pipe too. Here's a pic of it installed:

Here's what the kit looks like:

It all costs about 300 bucks, but it's an excellent quality intercooler. I am very much pleased with it's performance.

04 SRR WRX 370whp / 401wtq / EJ205
05 PBM GTO 440whp / 470wtq
http://www.youtube.com/user/EJRex
#21 Old 08-08-2006, 10:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

T WREX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to T WREX Send a message via Yahoo to T WREX
Well I'm a little late to the party here but..

I have been running the stock sti tmic for a couple months now with no issues. I run 20psi with no ill effects. When tuned I made 370whp. My entire setup is heat wrapped from upipe to the downpipe, including a turbo blanket. I don't think this is perfect, and plan on going to a Spearco top mount when I have the funds, but it certainly suffices. I don't want to lose the throttle response and safety of the front bumper by going FMIC.

FYI - Ultimate Racing originally designed their rotated GT30 kit to use the spearco tmic.. and I trust them as much as any other shop out there when it comes to turbo anything.

FP Green'd 04 STi

Trevor
#22 Old 08-26-2006, 02:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Lawsuby1 is an unknown
Well just like somebody said up there, it all depends what youre goin for. If you want that throttle response and no lag then do the top mount. The only thing i dont like about those are its trapped with all that heat under the hood and after a certain mile an hour the scoop doesnt do shit, plus theres no real heat extracter with the scoop. I would rather do front mount, screw the lag, your top end will make up for it. Bradley03, certain intakes will work with certain front mounts?? They say that so you can buy there intake. All the piping and everything should be around the same, you may have to move the intake a lil.
And i just wanna know what t wrex meant by safety of the front bumper??? There are kits that fit better than others, plus it is just a bumper, as much as i love my baby, id rather go with my car running better and more reliable then worry about my bumper. But thats all just me.
#23 Old 08-27-2006, 02:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

ryan06 is an unknown
Front bumper safety

Most of the time if not all the time when installing a front mount i/c, you have to takeout 4"x4" steel bumper support, and replace it with just a single piece of metal that fits around the new i/c. Check this out it's the peice of metal to the left of the i/c:
http://www.stockreco.com/aaaa10285.jpg

Some are better than others, but your still getting rid of the solid sqaure tube.
#24 Old 08-27-2006, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex-ya is more helpful than not
Bumpers are only meant to protect up to like a 5 mph crash. After that it's crumple zones and rigid support. So don't worry about replacing it when installing a FMIC. The FMIC will probably hold up better than the bumper anyway.

Do you plan on driving your car in the winter? If you're in Iowa, the snow is going wreak havoc on a FMIC.

'06 WRX STi