thinking about upgrading to sti - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-15-2007, 07:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxroberts is an unknown
thinking about upgrading to sti

the more i drive my wrx i cant help but wonder how much better the sti is. i want to be able to drive my car fast and get alot more power without worrying about tranny issues. the tranny alone is worth getting the sti i hear. i figure i might be able to get pay off for my 06 wrx then just start over with a used 05 sti which are suprisingly affordable now(almost the cost of a brand new wrx). what do you guys think? anyone with any input on the subject?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-15-2007, 08:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

chad ramsay is an unknown
insurance is gonna go up. good luck finding a used one that hasent been beat down. i hate to be negative but just look really carefully. i would never be able to deal with that ugly ass wing.
#3 Old 05-15-2007, 09:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxroberts is an unknown
lol the wing isnt that bad but i am going to be patient when looking. i understand that it is an sti and someone did probly rag on it some but with the way i treat my wrx i think an sti would hold up alot better/longer.
#4 Old 05-15-2007, 10:52 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad ramsay View Post
insurance is gonna go up. good luck finding a used one that hasent been beat down. i hate to be negative but just look really carefully. i would never be able to deal with that ugly ass wing.
+1 to the insurance thing. Mine would have been almost 200 more than what I have now. I dont think just the tranny of an STI makes it worth it. I will be hopefully putting PPGs in mine in about 18months, plus I have EM and rims. Add that with the PPGs I am only at almost $28k with the price of what I got my WRX for. Still several grand cheaper than a new STI (which is the only one I would personally buy) plus my insurance is STILL cheaper. It just going to have to be a judgement call that only you can make. Goodl luck with everything man.
#5 Old 05-15-2007, 11:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
Yea you can do the PPG, but (newtothegame)you have to send your gearbox to Andrewtech so they can modify it for you. I know you said that you are just going to buy the gears and have a shop near you put them in and do the mod to the case, but has the place ever done this specific job, do they know what there doing, if it breaks because of what they did will they fix it. I would just send it to them(Andrewtech).

Yea the WRX is nice, but you have to put a aftermarket tranny in it(they should put that on the window sticker) to be effective, oh BTW its $4300 plus your car is going to be down for 2 weeks, so better get a loaner. It wouldnt be so bad if these F*#@ing gears wernt so damn expensive, like $3000 wouldnt be so bad, but instead you get rapped by andrewtech. It just pisses me off that Subaru put a weak ass tranny in this car, yea its not a sti, but you cant launch hard(that I can understand, but come on you cant even bang gears/shift hard. Whay the HELL do they call it a sport sedan, more like a greocery getter. It just pisses me off that Subie went cheap on the most important part of the car and if you take it in for a tranny/warranty issue, 99% of the time they will cop out on you and just use the (abuse) excuse even though there is no way in hell to prove this.

Sorry for this long rant, but Im just pissed off about this issue. In short, get the STI. Spending a little more money is worth piece of mind

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
#6 Old 05-15-2007, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

iwantone is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to iwantone
I am thinking about doing the same thing. just got a new job that is paying a little more so i could afford a new sti. I have a 06 tr right now and love it but the sti is just so much sweeter and has a lot more goodies on it! oh my, i just messed my pants!
#7 Old 05-16-2007, 04:47 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Shamrock...Yes, they have done this before. So its much more convenient this way, and it takes 2 days, not 2 weeks. They said that is will have their gurantee as well as the gurantee from PPG. Im sure they know what they are doing. Thats all they work/mod is subarus. Thats all the parts they have in store, thats all they look at. The owner converted his Forester into one of the STI ones in his shop. Another guy has an RS with the WRX engine (not sure if its a 2.0 or 2.5) with I believe (cant remember) a GT30R on it. These guys know their stuff, and I cant wait for them to work on my car.
#8 Old 05-16-2007, 06:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

sloblue is an unknown
the way i look at it when i got my TR I saved 10k = 10k of mods.
#9 Old 05-16-2007, 08:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

suddenthomas is more helpful than not
With the Sti though you get a bunch more goodies than just a better tranny. You get the dccd, better suspension, better brakes, and all around a better car. Not to mention as you upgrade there are plenty of people wanting your goodies. So you get some return on all that cost of modding. But if it was me I would definately buy new to many young sh#@heads drive them and trash them. They don't respect the car when mommy and daddy buy it for them. Not to mention the a##hats that think they are rally drivers and aren't. Go new and that way you don't have to worry.
#10 Old 05-16-2007, 10:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX06TR is an unknown
My gf has an STI and she lets me drive it quite a bit. I dont really like it, I prefer my WRX. The damn thing rattle soooooo much and the ride really does suck. The only thing I want out of her car is the Brembos and the tires...thats it.

I also really dont like the STI 6speed. The ratios are so tight its not fun to drive on the freeway. I can really rev out my gears and get the rush of the turbo spooling, but in her car you shift a lot. I like the five speed (that is one place where the Evo gets my vote).

The way I have been looking at it is for the 9k that I want to drop in my car, I will have an exciting daily driver that will stomp on her car and be fun for the track and autocross.
#11 Old 05-17-2007, 04:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Praga is an unknown
It depends really on the type of person you are and what you are looking for.

Firstly if you are looking for one of the best hardcore drives of your life then it is the STI, no doubt.
I have a STI 9 and to be honest the ride was a bit girlish(soft) to the STI8, so i dropped in the prodrive springs to get a harder ride.
The STI is a different machine to the the WRX, i drive mines as much as a can but my wife drives it work everyday as she absolutely loves it. As others have already posted you definetly get a lot more and it is major upgrade.
I also love the WRX and advise anyone who cant afford the STI to get one. I am quite active in the Subaru club in South Africa and i honestly dont know a single individual that loves Subaru's that would chose the WRX over an STI. Though i must tell that the wing does rattle but i rather get hit by a truck than get rid of my STI touring wing.
#12 Old 05-17-2007, 12:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
Dont think, get the STI. And (newtothegame) thats awesome that, that shop specializes in Subaru's, and its right in your back yard

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
#13 Old 05-18-2007, 02:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

SurfGuruJeff is an unknown
I almost got an '04-'05 STi, but I don't know how long I'll be making a lot of $$$, since I'm still in Business School.

My Reasons for not getting the STi:

1) I know I'd get in too much trouble with one

2) I hate being in debt, I'm 25 this month and I've never been in debt until now; Credit score is 762

3) It's still a WRX! Rally inspired car, gave birth to the STi, it's a quick car.

4) Way more stealthy (if you want it that way).

If I knew I could have a consecutive 6 years making what I'm making now, I'd get the STi, or Evo

One guy put it best when I pulled up next to his STi in my work truck before I made my decision, "Yeah, it's so F----ing fun to drive, but it'll make you pee blood. The ride is stiff!"
#14 Old 05-22-2007, 11:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I made the mistake of drving a used 05 STI and it was unbelievable. It had been pretty beat up and it rattled like hell b/c of the stiff ride. It had 25k on it and the drivetrain still felt rock solid. The short shifter and trans were awesome and I could rip through the gears without worrying about breakage or the massive clunk that happens with the regular WRX.

There was no turbo lag and the torque was great. When I bought my WRX I couldn't afford the 12k difference btwn my car and an STI. It is worth every penny in my opinion to have all that extra power and brakes and suspension and have it covered by the factory warranty.

My insurance would only go up $17/month if I got a new 07 STI. My gas bill would be worse b/c I've read they get about 15MPG.

I decided to wait until I see the new STI and I'll probably pick up that or the EVO. Driving the STI made me stop putting money into my WRX and I've started putting into the bank toward a new STI or EVO.

Go drive a used one at any dealership and ream the heck out it. I was truely amazed at the speed and I used to drive a 400hp Mustang. It was insane and it made my WRX feel like a Civic. :-(
#15 Old 05-26-2007, 08:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxroberts is an unknown
well i just went and test drove an used 06 sti yesterday and i was quite impressed. the ride was very impressive and i didnt even beat on it. the saleswoman that went with me didnt really know shit about the car so i was afraid id scare her if i got on it but i did take 2nd up to like 5500 and let off and her head almost went into the dash lol. im planning on only buying parts for my 06 wrx thatll fit an sti when i upgrade cause to me its worth the extra money for the sti.