Thinking about Meth Injection any suggestions? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-11-2009, 03:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

07EJ25Ltd is an unknown
Thinking about Meth Injection any suggestions?

I've been considering installing a meth injection kit on my 07 wrx before I get a protune, i'm basically trying to get as much power as i could out of my vf 39...any suggestions?

Current Mods: kartboy ss, sti tmic, vf39, invidia/perrin catless tbe,walbro 255lph fp, cobb ap v2 flashed w/ VF39 93 octane map.

Mods to go with tune: cobb sf intake and probably a Devils Own meth injection setup not really sure..

subarus do it horizantal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2009, 06:06 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Well, first off you need to find a tuner. There's no point in just throwing meth in there and not changing the ECU. You won't gain any power and it'll just go boom. If you don't have a tuner who's worked with it before, I wouldn't even think about it.

Next, I worry about it without an ECU level failsafe. The Hydra and other stand alone ECUs support this kind of thing but it's not something you can tack on to the stock ECU. Talk to your tuner.
#3 Old 05-11-2009, 07:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Yea def talk to a tuner about meth injection. This is one upgrade that you want to make sure it's installed and tuned right. Your tuner could give you some insight on the best ones to tune with and what not.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#4 Old 05-11-2009, 07:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

07EJ25Ltd is an unknown
I'll be going to EFI Logics for the tune, most likely Chris will be doing it, ill call him tommorow when they are open.

Any other performance parts you might suggest before going for a tune?

subarus do it horizantal
#5 Old 05-12-2009, 02:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

Black05WRX is an unknown
Maybe bigger injectors and go for e-85 if you want to push your car to the max with what it has.
#6 Old 05-12-2009, 11:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
considering e-85 is certainly a lifestyle change. You have to do research as far as where is the closest station, planning out your trips around these gas stations. Meth injection is a good alternative for e-85 IMHO.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#7 Old 05-12-2009, 06:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Next, I worry about it without an ECU level failsafe. The Hydra and other stand alone ECUs support this kind of thing but it's not something you can tack on to the stock ECU. Talk to your tuner.
There's no way to make the injection disengage if the resevore goes dry with a tuned ECU?

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#8 Old 05-12-2009, 08:47 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Some kits have a "failsafe" or gauge to sense/monitor the level of fluid, but I dont really know how accurate or well they work.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 05-12-2009, 08:55 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The hydra has a port for a sensor, it's the only real way to do it safely. If you run out of NOS or meth or whatever you're burning on one of those, it'll throw the car into a safety state. The stock ECU doesn't have anything like that.
#10 Old 05-12-2009, 11:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Black05WRX is an unknown
Depends on the kit's, snow and AEM have gauges and lites that let you know how low you are. If you buy a cheap kit you have to rig up a system to let you know how low you are on meth.
#11 Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Okeyd57 is an unknown
My tuner talked me out of installing an injection kit. There are too many things that can happen, and they're all bad ! I just stuck with my 20G, which I have 2 maps for. One map is for daily driving, and the other map is my "get it on" map. 350hp/370 ft. lbs. of torque.

If I did install one, my hp would be too much for my stock internals. If you aren't limited financially, and can afford to face the prospect of having to rebuild your motor, then go for it.

The more I read about these systems, the more I realized that none of them have enough safeguards to make me feel comfortable with them.

Okey's Black Mamba-06 STi-OBP- Cobb stage 2
#12 Old 06-10-2009, 08:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
There are plenty of fail safe solutions out there; the Hydramist is definitely not the only one. Labonte Motorsports, Coolingmist, and Aquamist all make flow sensor-based fail safes. They measure the flow rate, and if it's too low (clog) or too high (leak), they can activate a relay to cut boost or trigger limp mode. You can also use an EGT sensor and/or wideband to trigger the fail safe (that's what I'm doing). That way, if the EGT's get too high or the AFR is too lean, the ecu can compensate. Of course, the downside is it may be too late by then. Here's some reading you can do.

If you go the e85 route, there is no point in doing meth injection. Whether or not water injection would be worth it is up in the air... not sure about that. Baller_v24 is right on the money, though; e85 will require a "lifestyle change."

Have you considered an EWG? You should get some good gains from one. You might also benefit from a larger TMIC. Btw, I have a devil's own progressive controller I could sell you. Let me know if you're interested.
#13 Old 06-11-2009, 06:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If installed and tuned correctly a meth kit HELPS your engine......

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#14 Old 08-07-2009, 03:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

04blusrt_4 is an unknown
meth injection can make an otherwise risky and hard tune much safer. Failsafes are far ranging...but by far the best I have seen is using the coolingmist controller, it has a 0-5v ouput when the pump is on, which you can link to any aftermarket EBC. If the 5volts isnt there, boost gets shut down. For running dry, same idea, most companies sell a 0-5v output tank level sending unit (float swtich) just hook that into a boost controller, everything gets shutdown.

you just have to think creatively. Some people link those 5 volt outputs into the ECM as well, through PIDs that arent being used by the pcm. Little harder to work through but possible. I have a scangauge to measure knock, and have the LED warning lights set to 1* of knock. Those lights come on, I lift immediately no matter what the scenario (mid race, at the track, driving down the street).

The cooling effect of water injection will prolong the life of the engine, help prevent carbon build up, and even prolong your spark plugs' life, LOL. I dont see any real downside. Meth is something to consider heavily if youre ready to take the leap on a tmic. It could easily take the place of that investment and save you some $$.
#15 Old 08-07-2009, 06:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

S.O.V is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07EJ25Ltd View Post
I'll be going to EFI Logics for the tune, most likely Chris will be doing it, ill call him tommorow when they are open.

Any other performance parts you might suggest before going for a tune?
I live in CT as well need some install work done, sent you a PM