TBE pass inspection? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-04-2008, 07:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
TBE pass inspection?

i was thinkn about getting an invidia v3 TBE for my sti but it has no cat's on it what so ever. i know that its illegal to run with no cat's but is it possible to just chop and weld the old cat to the TBE? or is there an easier way cause this is kinda makin my head hurt lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-04-2008, 07:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

02BLU is an unknown
Get a downpipe with a cat.

all it takes is time and money.
#3 Old 09-04-2008, 07:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

"Disclaimer: technically both Catted & Catless down pipes are for off road or race use only. Because of the elimination of catalytic converters, this downpipe (technically ALL down pipes) should not be installed on a vehicle to be driven on public highways. CATTED Down Pipes are also for off road use only as you are not supposed to change out factory catylitic converters except under certain conditions. Please check your local laws."
#4 Old 09-04-2008, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
When inspection comes, just put back your stock dp. its not that hard...
#5 Old 09-04-2008, 11:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

yea, i guess ill just keep my stock exhaust around
#6 Old 09-05-2008, 10:22 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
An inspection shop failing you because you have an aftermarket cat instead of a factory cat is exceeding their mandate. They're supposed to do a visual inspection to verify that you have a working cat, not determine which replacement parts are suitable and which aren't.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#7 Old 09-05-2008, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Squamr is an unknown
It depends on your state laws. Where I live it will pass as long as it's not throwing any codes. It also depends what shop is doing the inspection. It's a sad truth that sometimes a 12 pack of beer can help it pass. Find a small shop run by hp enthusiasts, and start shooting the s##t.
Or you can just put the catted DP on for the day, but if you get pulled over and they decide to inspect the exhaust and don't find any cats, your still getting a ticket.

If you want to do a little fabrication; you could weld up a cat shaped shell over the catless DP; now that would be outlaw stealth I've heard of it being done many times.

Note: For informational purposes only, involving hypothetical or fantastical opinions only.
#8 Old 09-06-2008, 11:24 AM

Garage
A cat shaped shell isn't going to hide the ODOR from a catless car which is what most shops will notice. Really, we all aught to run catted. Unless you're pushing 600whp, it's really not going to slow you down much. I'm not saying you should use the stock downpipe or anything, but having a single cat in your system is pretty straightforward.

#9 Old 09-06-2008, 11:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

so would it be wise to get one of the cat's cut out and welded into the new exhaust? so that way it will be legal?
#10 Old 09-06-2008, 03:16 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by srninjastar View Post
so would it be wise to get one of the cat's cut out and welded into the new exhaust? so that way it will be legal?
Considering they are not even close to being the same size diameter you would totally be defeating the purpose of even changing the exhaust.Buy and aftermarket catted DP.The cat opening and size will flow appropriately for the size exhaust used.........

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#11 Old 09-07-2008, 12:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

jrswrx69 is on thin ice
Send a message via Yahoo to jrswrx69
or you could just by the cob dp that has a high flow cat biult in already n save the trouble of fabing thing or spending 4 hrs swaping dps
#12 Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

I was just kinda worried about the whole removing the stock cat. I'm gona go ahead and get this DP: Invidia CATTED Down Pipe, HS05SW1DPC, Subaru STi Invidia CATTED Down Pipe I've herd good things about invidia so im just gona roll with that. Thanks for your replies, i apologies for the 5min of life u lost reading this
#13 Old 11-21-2008, 03:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

nj kiter is an unknown
i passed inspection with tbe wo cats anywhere. it is kind of funny i was felling lucky went and got it inspected, and he shouts out subaru, and tell me i failed. i though o dam here we go agian, but i failed for tinted windows. took the tink off, now nj has approved my catless sti
#14 Old 12-19-2008, 06:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

so i got a borla exhaust for my 06 wrx and at idle it has a nice rumble to it, but at higher rpms it seems like it goes away and sounds like a normal exhaust. is there anything i can do to make that rumbler "throatier" and deep?
#15 Old 12-19-2008, 06:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by srninjastar View Post
so i got a borla exhaust for my 06 wrx and at idle it has a nice rumble to it, but at higher rpms it seems like it goes away and sounds like a normal exhaust. is there anything i can do to make that rumbler "throatier" and deep?
Which borla exhaust did you get? The hush? Also, if your downpipe is still stock that will muffle the sound greatly.

I run a bellmouth catted downpipe and the borla hush. It does change in tone as it gets higher in RPM but I've never described it as strongly as that...