Subaru WRX Forum banner

Suggestions on good exhaust.

5K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Gucci Maine 
#1 ·
Ok so I am new to the whole WRX thing I have had mine for a year now and want to start tuning it. I want to start with a nice exhaust am I right in doing this? I want to upgrade the down pipe and the exhaust. so any ideas, i want it to be loud but still retain the nice subaru rumble. i would like a little gain in power as well. please include the price. thank you.

I HAVE NOT SEARCHED THIS SO DONT ASK ME IF I HAVE THANK YOU.

#2 ·
Have you searched this at all? You want a bellmouth DP for the power, and any CBE that fits your tast as far as look and sound go. First you want to have some type of EM though to make sure you dont run into and of the boost problems associated with the 06-07 WRXs.
CobbTuning.com - Exhaust Design
2002-7 WRX & STi Exhaust Systems Explained Uppipe Downpipe Header Catback Turboback JSC Speed
WRX STi Exhaust: Catback & Turboback Exhausts, Gaskets, Hangers, Headers & Components JSC Speed at the bottom of this last one it has the decibel rating for some of the more popular exhausts, and you can check out youtube also for what they sound like.

Reactions: mosc
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Please save everyone the time and search before asking anymore questions. This site has been going for years and odds are the same questions have been answered a thousand times. Thanks not being rude its just getting old reading the same questions everyday. New your a better man than I am!

If you care enough to post this, care enough to go hunt for some links that might help him
-mosc

#5 ·
Advantages of Catless:
-Louder
-Saves ~$100

Advantages of Catted:
-A little quieter
-won't stink
-doesn't pollute as much
-might be easier to pass inspection with (might)

There are no power advantages to catless for the most part. There are many >500whp cars that run with a cat. At that point it might be a small restriction but certainly at relatively sane power levels it's not a big deal at all.

#6 ·
+1 to what Mosc just pointed out. If you read the Cobb link it goes into a little bit about bends, and I believe catted vs non catted. For piece of mind I would get a catted DP they seem to cause less problem with the boost issues on the 06-07 WRX.

I hope you didnt take my post harshly, I have done my far share of searching for the "pefect" exhaust for me, I know it isnt easy. Good luck with your decision(s).

#7 ·
New I didnt and the links were very helpful. I app it I think i like the TurboXS turbo back exhuast with the RFL/Ti option. as far as catted or catless goes I like the loud option better seeing as how im not much on the enviroment. and i like saving the 100$ lol ass far ass the EM goes is cobb a good company?

#11 ·
Its not the cat in the stock DP that is restrective, its the CRAPPY desing by subaru. Its VERY restrictive. And if you read Cobbs map notes for stage 2 all it requires is a DP.

Guicci, sounds like a plan. At one time I thought about the TurboXS system also, but decided Im going to go back to close to stock look so its out of the question for me. Make sure that you pass your states emmisions test(s) with a catless system before you buy one. As far as Cobb goes, if you have the money and want the extra features it comes with I say go for it. I have one and really like it.

#23 ·
I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post!

#24 ·
Yea that is what i was looking at. So here it goes I have decided on the TurboXS turbo back exhaust with the Ti Tip muffler.Below is the link from where I will be purchasing it and a clip from youtube of how I expect it to sound. I am also looking into doing a how to install on it as I will be installing it myself, my dad owns a welding shop so I have access to that. I now want to get some tips and reminders for installing I will probably be purchasing this within the next two weeks I will keep everyone informed please lend me your advice.

YouTube - TurboXS Turbo Back/Ti Exhaust
SALE! TurboXS Full Turbo-Back Exhaust System - TurboXS Exhaust and Up Pipe

#25 ·
Lots of PB blaster or some type of lubricant to help bust the bolts/nuts loose. And new gaskets also. You will also have to keep your heatshield either off or modify it to fit around the new DP. Might be more, but thats off the top of my head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.