Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L '04-07 STi and '06-07 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   Stupid Engine Replacement (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/stupid-engine-replacement-33124/)

Jautry27 10-08-2012 02:05 AM

Stupid Engine Replacement

It's 2 am on the East coast right now, and all I can do is stare at my $4200 bill for replacing my engine. I know it's not a lot for some of ya'll, but it's still a big bill to cough up. So I figured what better to do than bitch and moan about it on here with you guys!

[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/jautry27/wrxworkorder2.jpg[/IMG]

pzr2874 10-08-2012 06:57 AM

That's not TOO bad.

The plug $ is a bit steep for sure. So this is for the labor and everything?

brfatal 10-08-2012 08:28 AM

$4,200 is cheap for a motor.

I do have a question, what's this "CL-TRB-TD05-16G $382.84" turbo upgrade business?

pzr2874 10-08-2012 08:41 AM

That's prob the diff between a td04 and a new turbo he was wanting to put on it from another thread. Correct me if i'm wrong OP.

brfatal 10-08-2012 10:06 AM

[quote=pzr2874;286488]That's prob the diff between a td04 and a new turbo he was wanting to put on it from another thread. Correct me if i'm wrong OP.[/quote]

You mean the thread I never got a response to? :p

[url]http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/starting-scratch-33061/[/url]

OP, if you haven't picked up the car already, tell them to re-install the old turbo immediately. You have not installed the support mods for this turbo and this is an eBay off-brand turd...which is why I asked what brand it was in the other post. No 16G you want is that cheap. These are known to fail prematurely.

Jautry27 10-08-2012 10:22 AM

I am getting him to. Can I put the old turbo on? I thought it ran off the motor oil, and seeing as how the dealership sold it to me with engine problems that stemmed from low oil in the first place, would those low oil problems not cause the turbo to go bad as well?

This is the original work order. I just went by yesterday to get him to print one out. Still shows the TD05 on there.

Is there a better T4 I can put on there that is still better than the stock? Just curious.

And yes, this is for labor and everything. Right at $3,000 for all the parts and the rest is labor.

brfatal 10-08-2012 10:30 AM

There are better ones but not by much. Anything other than stock will require further modification than what you have now, which is why I recommended the stock turbo. If you're worried, stockers are $100 used.

pzr2874 10-08-2012 11:19 AM

You need to break the engine in with the td04... plain and simple.

BoostinChick 10-08-2012 06:48 PM

For that dough, you should have ugpraded/replaced the oil pick up with a Killer B. They are notorious for going back in these motors.

[url=http://www.killerbmotorsport.com/index_files/OilPickupStory.htm]Oil Pickup Story - Subaru Oil Pickup Failure[/url]

RcrsWetDream 10-08-2012 08:39 PM

[quote=BoostinChick;286527]For that dough, you should have ugpraded/replaced the oil pick up with a Killer B. They are notorious for going back in these motors.
[/quote]

Info like this needs to stop being propagated. I have to commend KillerB in making it seem that every Subaru is a ticking time bomb, but how many cases of a failed pick up have you seen besides the ones they have listed? I've seen one or two on Nasioc, but never one in person.

How many hundreds of thousands of Subaru's are on the road with the same exact pickup?

I'd be more worried about thirty other things before I'd ever worry about my pickup cracking, it's really quite rare.

It's a thing to do while the engine is out. Hence my oil pan, baffle, and pickup. From KillerB!Laugh!

Bastids got me

RcrsWetDream 10-08-2012 08:44 PM

[quote=Jautry27;286480]It's 2 am on the East coast right now, and all I can do is stare at my $4200 bill for replacing my engine. I know it's not a lot for some of ya'll, but it's still a big bill to cough up. So I figured what better to do than bitch and moan about it on here with you guys!

[/quote]

Waaaaaay too much personal info in that picture man, I would delete that one and put a new one up with the info blocked off in MS paint or something....

turmic 10-08-2012 10:23 PM

[quote=Jautry27;286494]I am getting him to. Can I put the old turbo on? I thought it ran off the motor oil, and seeing as how the dealership sold it to me with engine problems that stemmed from low oil in the first place, would those low oil problems not cause the turbo to go bad as well?[/quote]

Your original TD04 could have been oil starved and damaged. So, your answer is yes. The original turbo could be screwed. When I had a oil starvation problem with my old engine...my turbo was inspected by Blouch Turbo and they found that it needs some parts replaced. So, instead I got it upgraded to a custom Dom 3. :sneaky: Then again...that turbo was a Dom 2.5 not a TD04.

[quote=BoostinChick;286527]For that dough, you should have ugpraded/replaced the oil pick up with a Killer B. They are notorious for going back in these motors.

[url=http://www.killerbmotorsport.com/index_files/OilPickupStory.htm]Oil Pickup Story - Subaru Oil Pickup Failure[/url][/quote]

I have to agree with Chris on this. I called this out when Scott (Synolimit) posted this back in its infancy (back when it first started). Talked to my tuner and a engine builder at the time. At the time the engine builder was a reputable subaru engine builder. Not, anymore...but thats irrelevant to this post.

Also agree with Chris to the OP. You probable should blank out your personal info...unless you don't mind its all hanging out there on the interwebz.

Jautry27 10-08-2012 11:07 PM

I'll go back and blank it out, but honestly, it's not like there is any real pertinent information, IE: social, dl#, blah blah

pzr2874 10-09-2012 06:43 AM

I agree on oil starvation, but we all know ppl don't maintain their cars like they should.

Which years had the oil screen issues?

Jautry27 10-09-2012 10:27 AM

[quote=pzr2874;286564]I agree on oil starvation, but we all know ppl don't maintain their cars like they should.

Which years had the oil screen issues?[/quote]

This is what my mechanic said the issue probably was because according to the oil change sticker, when I purcahsed, it was about 300 miles shy of needing an oil change. When he checked it, it was almost a new golden brown. Like someone had topped it off. Now, we cant necessarily prove it was the dealership that did that and not the owner, but either way, the car was more than likely starved of oil. It wasnt until about 100 miles after I bought it that any symptoms at all started to show.

My next question is, would I be well enough getting the one I have on it rebuilt, buying a new stock one, or is there a cheaper (but reputable manufacturer) aftermarket I can put on. The stock replacement turbo from Subaru is around $1,000.