straight pipes on 06 wrx? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 02-08-2009, 04:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexKydd1 View Post
yeah i never did the straight pipes. but i got some money together, and now im debating if i should get a invidia V2 downpipe. i dont have any mods so idk if i should wait and save up more so i can get the full turboback all at once?
You don't need a full TBE with the stock turbo. You can do just a downpipe with engine management for now and add the catback later. Please don't add the downpipe without engine management it can lead to some bad things.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 02-08-2009, 08:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjott21 View Post
You don't need a full TBE with the stock turbo. You can do just a downpipe with engine management for now and add the catback later. Please don't add the downpipe without engine management it can lead to some bad things.
+1. That is what I am doing as of right now. I am running the COBB catless downpipe with the stock wrx catback. Keep's it stock looking and no hassle from the cops
#18 Old 02-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
How 'bout my situation? I am going to get the Megan racing tbe. I dont have the money for EM now though.

SHOULD I?
A. put the full tbe on
B. put the tbe on with the spark plug anti-fouler cel fix
C. put only the cat-back portion on until I get EM
D. Put it all on the shelf in the garage until I get EM

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#19 Old 02-08-2009, 07:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Just put the catback on! And wait till you can afford EM and put the Dp on when you get the EM. Are you doing the work by yourself? Shop?
#20 Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
How 'bout my situation? I am going to get the Megan racing tbe. I dont have the money for EM now though.

SHOULD I?
A. put the full tbe on
B. put the tbe on with the spark plug anti-fouler cel fix
C. put only the cat-back portion on until I get EM
D. Put it all on the shelf in the garage until I get EM
D - Don't take any chances. You might be able to talk to someone about putting an open source map on your car for you. If you want it to sound better you can throw on the catback and it won't hurt anything as long as it will mate to the stock DP. I prefer to do it all at once.

#21 Old 02-08-2009, 09:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

RexKydd1 is an unknown
ok thanks Kjott21, how much would EM cost me?
#22 Old 02-08-2009, 10:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexKydd1 View Post
ok thanks Kjott21, how much would EM cost me?
It all depends on what you want to get. There are a lot of choices out there and you have to pick which one will work the best for you.

Cobb AccessPort
EcuTek
TurboXS UTEC
Open Source (RomRaider/EcuFlash)
Hydra Standalone
AEM Standalone
MoTec Standalone

There are some more out there but those are some of the more popular ones. It is all in what you want to do with the car and how much you wanna spend.

#23 Old 02-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner ready View Post
Just put the catback on! And wait till you can afford EM and put the Dp on when you get the EM. Are you doing the work by yourself? Shop?
Yes. I will be doing the work myself. I am very excited to hear my Subie rumble for the first time, thats why I am going with the TBE before the EM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjott21 View Post
D - Don't take any chances. You might be able to talk to someone about putting an open source map on your car for you. If you want it to sound better you can throw on the catback and it won't hurt anything as long as it will mate to the stock DP. I prefer to do it all at once.
When I get EM I am planning on getting the Cobb AP, because of it's proven safety and reliability. I really want to get an open source tune, but I dont know anyone in my area I trust to do it. I would love to save the money though, so if anybody can suggest a trusted tuner in my area that would be great!

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT GUYS !!!!

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#24 Old 02-10-2009, 11:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
When I get EM I am planning on getting the Cobb AP, because of it's proven safety and reliability. I really want to get an open source tune, but I dont know anyone in my area I trust to do it. I would love to save the money though, so if anybody can suggest a trusted tuner in my area that would be great!

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT GUYS !!!!
If you want to go OS and do not have a local tuner there are plenty of guys who will do an Etune for you. They would provide a base map and then have you datalog and they will send you revisions.

Welcome to 555 Motorsports
CAMTuning.com - Custom Engine Management and Performance Tuning Solutions
awdtuning.com - Main Site - Subaru Performance Tuning
MPS™ ::# Custom Tuning Services## “Get a Dom Tune!”®

You can also buy off the shelf maps similar to the AP maps from here:
XPT Tuning, The XPT Tuning Online Store

As long as you have a laptop and can afford the cable then you are good to go. If you are interested I just found a $20 cable that will work for flashing so that you don't need to buy the $200 V2 Tactrix cable.

Last edited by Kjott21; 02-11-2009 at 01:12 AM.
#25 Old 02-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Thats another thing. I dont have a laptop.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#26 Old 02-11-2009, 04:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
This day and age, you should have a spare computer laying around.... put it in the garage and get a tactrix cable.

Just a thought.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#27 Old 02-11-2009, 04:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Joszfor_p is an unknown
Before any one spend a $ on any performance parts exhaust, intake, or any thing save some money to get it tuned, or buy EM. In terms of exhaust i had a couple and if you want to be emissions legal and not loud go with the turbo xs stealthback.
#28 Old 02-11-2009, 05:03 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You can probably get a cheapo laptop from somebody for $50. It doesn't have to be fancy.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#29 Old 02-12-2009, 02:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
You can probably get a cheapo laptop from somebody for $50. It doesn't have to be fancy.
Or find someone with the cable and laptop who will be nice enough to flash the map for you.

#30 Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Thanks kjott21. I will keep the etune in mind and try to find somone with a cable and laptop.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!