Subaru WRX Forum banner

STi TMIC for WRX

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  blk05WRX 
#1 ·
Do I need the STi y-pipe for the intercooler to install on my 06 WRX?

#3 ·
I bought mine without the y-pipe. You still have to get a longer 90 degree elbow to reach the turbo, and those are about $45. I just bought a whole new y-pipe kit off of Ebay. It's a quality kit with good clamps and hoses. It fit my STI TMIC.

I'll be installing it this week or next, so that will be the true test, but all that's left if connecting it to the turbo. The cast pieces fit very well and come with new gaskets and Grade 8 bolts. There are cheaper kits on Ebay, but when I asked questions I got Engrish responses that didn't make sense. Boombop was a very good seller and answered my questions accurately.

02-07 Subaru WRX STi Top Mount Intercooler Y Pipe Kit: eBay Motors (item 350365014413 end time Jul-10-10 00:06:47 PDT)

#4 ·
OK, I installed my STI TMIC this weekend. The y-pipe kit worked but it required some trimming of the silicone 90 degree pipe to fit correctly. I had a friend that is a BMW tech. help me and I'm really glad he was there b/c it was a bear to wrestle with.

We had to test fit it 5 times before we got it right. It still pushes against my A/C line pretty hard but we added some insulation around it so it doesn't rub.

I also bought an STI hood scoop and splitter and it lines up perfectly. That install I did on my own and it only took about 30 minutes.

I swear boost comes on faster, but the real reason I did it was b/c I'm going to get the car custom tuned.

Before:

After:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.