STi TMIC for WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-31-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
STi TMIC for WRX

Do I need the STi y-pipe for the intercooler to install on my 06 WRX?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-01-2010, 02:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
yes the 06 is too short, but the people that sell them on the forums usually include the y-pipe, just make sure to ask before buying

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt

Last edited by basco; 08-01-2010 at 02:59 AM. Reason: I Kant Spellz teh werdz
post #3 of 4 Old 08-02-2010, 02:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I bought mine without the y-pipe. You still have to get a longer 90 degree elbow to reach the turbo, and those are about $45. I just bought a whole new y-pipe kit off of Ebay. It's a quality kit with good clamps and hoses. It fit my STI TMIC.

I'll be installing it this week or next, so that will be the true test, but all that's left if connecting it to the turbo. The cast pieces fit very well and come with new gaskets and Grade 8 bolts. There are cheaper kits on Ebay, but when I asked questions I got Engrish responses that didn't make sense. Boombop was a very good seller and answered my questions accurately.

02-07 Subaru WRX STi Top Mount Intercooler Y Pipe Kit: eBay Motors (item 350365014413 end time Jul-10-10 00:06:47 PDT)

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #4 of 4 Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
OK, I installed my STI TMIC this weekend. The y-pipe kit worked but it required some trimming of the silicone 90 degree pipe to fit correctly. I had a friend that is a BMW tech. help me and I'm really glad he was there b/c it was a bear to wrestle with.

We had to test fit it 5 times before we got it right. It still pushes against my A/C line pretty hard but we added some insulation around it so it doesn't rub.

I also bought an STI hood scoop and splitter and it lines up perfectly. That install I did on my own and it only took about 30 minutes.

I swear boost comes on faster, but the real reason I did it was b/c I'm going to get the car custom tuned.

Before:

After:

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback