Sti Tmic??? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

chickenwingo is an unknown
Sti Tmic???

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my turbo to the vf39 or vf43 and I was also looking at getting a new IC. I know it's not a necessity, but should I get the STI Top Mount for $265 or should I go with something else? Give me your opinions! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Running the STI turbo with the STI TMIC would be fine, especially depending on the EM you are using. For that price thats not too bad. Unless you can find a bigger/"better" one (i.e APS, Perrin) for that priced new or used would be the only other way I would go.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 04-27-2009, 11:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I think flow rates and pressure drops are the most important factors to consider when shopping for an upgraded TMIC. Just make sure it will more than fit your application because you definitely don't want to pay good money for one only to find out that it would be your limiting factor (as far as power is concerned). I'd suggest going a little bigger than you think you'll need - or a lot if you think you'll ever do any major upgrades in the future. You could probably even use the biggest TMIC you could possibly find and it wouldn't hurt (except maybe your wallet) but just remember, more surface area = more cooling power & shorter pipes than an FMIC would require = less lag = good stuff

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 04-27-2009, 11:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
so even if i were to put on a 16g it would be better to have a huge perrin tmic then say their FMIC?
#5 Old 04-28-2009, 05:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
A STi TMIC is fine with a 16G..... Just wrap your DP and get the 16G coated and bagged.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 04-28-2009, 01:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

clipsy is an unknown
what does wrapping the Dp do and whats coating and bagged because im looking to put a 16g with a sti tmic to
#7 Old 04-28-2009, 09:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
i am also planing on going 16g route but i was thinking a FMIC just becuase later one i plan on going with 18 if not bigger.
#8 Old 04-28-2009, 10:31 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You can run a 20G with a TMIC, seen it several times. Just control as much as the heat soak as possible.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 04-30-2009, 01:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

wouldnt having a FMIC eliminate the problem of heat soak and leave room to upgrade to a larger turbo?
#10 Old 04-30-2009, 04:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

RenoSTi is an unknown
as said before wrap your downpipe, putting a turbo blanket on isn't necessary unless your running a much larger turbo that can put off much more heat but it can never hurt either. As far as heat soaking your intercooler, make sure you have a heat shield over your turbo.

STIORDIE
#11 Old 04-30-2009, 08:15 PM

I know as far as "growing" or putting a bigger turbo isnt in my books. I will get one, and either be happy or deal with the fact I didnt get the right one the first time. But as Reno said, take the necessary steps to "protecting" agains the heat and things should be fine.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#12 Old 04-30-2009, 08:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

is it possible to modify the stock turbo heat shield to fit an aftermarket one?
#13 Old 04-30-2009, 10:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by srninjastar View Post
is it possible to modify the stock turbo heat shield to fit an aftermarket one?
Yep. Get a set of tin snips or dremel tool or some other kind of cutting device and cut it until it fits. It's just a piece of metal, so it can be molded into any shape you want. I think there are even a few diagrams out there of exactly how to cut the stock turbo heat shield so it will be compatible with an aftermarket bellmouth downpipe. Here's a pic of how one guy cut his. You could roughly follow that or just keep test fitting it and cut little bits until it fits. Or you could save yourself the trouble and buy a Cobb or SPT turbo heat shield
Attached Images

John
07 WRX
#14 Old 05-01-2009, 12:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

thanks for the help

i tried givn you and newtothegame some rep points but it wont let me saying "i need to spread the love" gota say thats laame
#15 Old 05-01-2009, 07:48 PM

It happens man, we appreciate it. Sorry to hear the deal fell through. Like stated above, just tart saving and be patient. It will all fall into place.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"