Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L '04-07 STi and '06-07 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   stage 2 advice please (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/stage-2-advice-please-33469/)

boo-key bear 01-09-2013 12:28 AM

stage 2 advice please

Hello all, its been a while since ive been on here. Ive had to put my car on the back burner due to having a son, relationship issues, buying a home, and obtianing full custody of my son. Anyway, Im back on track with my goals and ready to start the fun. I have sevral questions and would like some advice from people more knowledgable than myself before I drop the cash and figure out I bought something I dont need. Currently I have an 06 wrx with ap stage 1 ots map and a panel filter.

Since there are no emmisions testing in my area I would like to take advantage and go catless. I plan on getting a bellmouth catless invidia dp. Ive heard that there can be boost creep issues when going catless so I would want to get the proper mods to make sure im safe. I also dont plan on upgrading turbos for a while. To deal with the boost creep I will be getting a 3 port bcs. I like the cobb and grimmspeed. Is one better/more tuner friendly than the other? I will also be adding a ewg set-up. The only ewg kits ive seen are cobbs and grimmspeeds. I want to be sure that it will work with my dp, stock turbo, and possibly a header in the future. I want a bolt on that i wont have to have any custom fitting or pipes made.

As for the tune I know I cant use one of cobbs ots maps for this set-up. I have no problem dropping the cash for a custom tune but, there are no reputable tuners that I know of in my area. There is one facility called fastech that has an awd dyno but, they dont tune for the ap and I havent heard anything about them that ensures I want to trust my tune in their hands. Could I get a e-tune with a set-up like this and would it be safe to run for a long period of time? Suggestions on tuners?

So what im asking is if these upgrades will work well together and prevent boost creep? Anything I should add? Can I get away with this on stock injectors/pump? Tuning recomendations in my situation? Thank you in advance!

BLAZE2099 01-09-2013 03:13 AM

I wouldn't know of tuners in your area.
What I would recommend is getting a larger tmic over the exhaust manifold.
More potential for build that way and the mani wont give you what I think you want out of it anyway. Lots of guys go without ever even swapping them out.
Paul should be on soon and add some decent advise for you.

CHEERS..... And GL!

pzr2874 01-09-2013 05:42 AM

Now I know I've been on too long when Randy knows my schedule. HA

Your tuner will tell you which 3port he prefers. IIRC, they are almost the same.

An e-tune should be fine, is this your daily driver? Catless is a PITA.

Going EWG should eliminate creep. Not sure what setup is better but several will chime in from their experience with them.

Call COBB, they should be able to locate a tuner that is close to you. I have no clue what is over there, but Justin will be on in a bit to add.

boo-key bear 01-09-2013 05:51 AM

Not my daily driver but still gotta have it as a reliable back up because my daily is old and tired.

pzr2874 01-09-2013 06:09 AM

I would go catted and save for a charger and EWG setup. It will at least give you some time and power to play with for a little bit while you learn the newfound power.

Nice to see you back.

brfatal 01-09-2013 07:15 AM

Cobb doesn't make EWG setups and Grimmspeed's up-pipe is junk. I'm not sure what brand to recommend since the others that come to mind are made to accommodate 44mm ones, which are too large.

Get an intake before your tune.

boo-key bear 01-09-2013 08:02 AM

[quote=brfatal;289440]Cobb doesn't make EWG setups and Grimmspeed's up-pipe is junk. I'm not sure what brand to recommend since the others that come to mind are made to accommodate 44mm ones, which are too large.

Get an intake before your tune.[/quote]

[url=http://www.rallysportdirect.com/COBB-Tuning-512272-External-Wastegate-Uppipe-w-Tial-MV-R]COBB Tuning External Wastegate Uppipe w/ Tial MV-R Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2013 WRX / STI) at RallySportDirect.com[/url] This is a link to the cobb ewg I saw but, it uses a 44mm wastegate. I think I may call and get a tuners advice before I buy. I still have the problem of finding a tuner though. Since theres not one in my area I will more than likely be forced into a e-tune. Ive heard pdx tuning is pretty good. Can anyone confirm their credibility or suggest another one?

BLAZE2099 01-09-2013 02:13 PM

And you know Justin's schedule as well ... Nerds.
GL op

boo-key bear 01-09-2013 04:27 PM

Talked to a guy at pdx tuning. He claims if I go catless and get a custom etune from them boost creep will not be a problem. guess ill give it a try but I still think Ill at least get a bcs first. I am also still open to hearing anyones input or thoughts.

BLAZE2099 01-09-2013 05:40 PM

Grim speed three port or how ya leaning on that one?

boo-key bear 01-09-2013 06:00 PM

[quote=BLAZE2099;289476]Grim speed three port or how ya leaning on that one?[/quote]

grim speed or cobb. probably grim speed.

boo-key bear 01-10-2013 03:09 AM

brfatal, what do you mean when you say a 44mm is too large? are you saying its physically or mechanicaly too large?

pzr2874 01-10-2013 05:33 AM

It's too big for a stock turbo setup

brfatal 01-10-2013 09:55 AM

[quote=boo-key bear;289442][url=http://www.rallysportdirect.com/COBB-Tuning-512272-External-Wastegate-Uppipe-w-Tial-MV-R]COBB Tuning External Wastegate Uppipe w/ Tial MV-R Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2013 WRX / STI) at RallySportDirect.com[/url] This is a link to the cobb ewg I saw but, it uses a 44mm wastegate. I think I may call and get a tuners advice before I buy. I still have the problem of finding a tuner though. Since theres not one in my area I will more than likely be forced into a e-tune. Ive heard pdx tuning is pretty good. Can anyone confirm their credibility or suggest another one?[/quote]

Interesting. That's new.

44mm is too big (price wise) for a stock turbo though. I would try to find something that works with a 38mm. It will be a good deal cheaper.

If you get an e-tune you will need a wideband and a laptop. The Cobb AP itself does not provide adequate logging for tuning purposes. PDX has been around forever though and they know what they are doing.

man show 01-10-2013 10:27 PM

Blouch's TD06H-20G-XT turbo + TiAL's 38 mm EWG + IAG's up pipe has been a magically delicious combination for my 07 WRX. It is my understanding that the larger the EWG, the more air it is capable of moving... so the 44 mm units are meant to be used with "stupidly large" turbos. The larger one also sounds a bit "deeper" if that matters to you. With improper foot control, either one can be obnoxious :sneaky: